Thread: Beep codes and Diagnostic Error Code on Inspiron M5030

Beep codes and Diagnostic Error Code on Inspiron M5030

Hi All,
    Just finished installing a replacement motherboard in this Inspiron M5030 laptop. The original problem was no power to laptop, no fan, no boot. Tried another known working Dell AC adapter i had and no luck with it. Tried removing Optical drive, Battery and Memory modules one at a time and ran diagnostic on hard drive after removing it and putting in another computer. Still could not get laptop to boot.

After replacing the motherboard, i now have a different issue where i can not get a display on the LCD. I am able to hook up an external LCD and get the display to work on it.

I was able to run the Dell diagnostics and im getting an error code of 0413. The code means LCD cable not detected. I reseated the cable and still have the same issue. The cable and connector look fine and none of the pins look damaged.

Im getting what appears to be 2 different BIOS beep codes when first starting the laptop. The first one is a series of 3 short beeps, followed by 2 quick beeps and then repeats. This happens several times and then i get 8 beeps which repeat several times as well. Beep codes stop and it does boot to the Windows 7 login screen on the external LCD.

Im able to stay at the Windows 7 Login screen without issue for over 15 mins. I have tried entering the BIOS to attempt changing the Service Tag, but the laptop shuts off after a minute or 2. Same thing if i hit F12 and dont make a choice quick enough. This has me thinking i either have 2 separate problems or that the motherboard was a lemon.

So something more than the LCD cable seems to be at fault here. Looking at the Service Manual from here: M5030 Service Manual the display cable does attach to the back of the LCD panel and is replaceable. Before i jump through the hoops of getting it replaced, i thought i would get someone elses opinion.

Because of the 2 different issues that may both be motherboard related, im thinking of exchanging the motherboard and replacing it again. See what happens and then if necessary replace the display cable.

The beep code of 3 short beeps and 2 shorter beeps has me stumped. Maybe its just a 5 beep code?

Beep codes from m5030 manual found here: Inspiron M5030 Setup Manual

Beep Code Possible Problem
    One - Possible system board failure or BIOS ROM checksum failure

Two - No RAM detected
    NOTE: If you installed or
    replaced the memory module,
    ensure that the memory module
    is seated properly.

Three - Possible system board failure or Chipset error

Four - RAM read/write failure

Five - Real Time Clock failure

Six - Video card or chip failure

Seven - Processor failure

Eight - Display failure

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    I would use a pencil erasure can clean the ram contacts. But overal, I think you got a bad mobo.

Thanks Train,
    Windows reports the correct amount of RAM and Memtest didnt show any errors.
    Its now shutting off more quickly and frequently while trying to enter the BIOS or booting from the optical drive. The strange thing is, once it boots to Windows 7 or CD, it stays running.
    The seller of the motherboard has already agreed to shipping out a replacement, so i guess ill give that a shot.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    That would be the best bet. The power module on thebmotherboard is where I think the problem is.

I cant believe this. Got the new Motherboard in today and it wouldnt even boot with the external monitor attached. I got a different beep code of 7 repeating beeps which means processor failure.

Thinking maybe there was a chance i zapped the CPU, i decided to put the last motherboard in and i was right back where i was when i first started this thread. System boots with the same 2 beep codes which stop once Windows 7 loads.

I still get no display, but i am able to connect an external LCD monitor and get an image on it.

I ran the Dell Diagnostics again and it reported the same error as before. I let it continue this time and it came up with a 2nd error:
    Error Code 0321
    Msg: Error Code 2000-0321
    Msg: LCD EDID - Unable to access EDID EEPROM

I now have 3 motherboards sitting here all giving me different issues.
    The first replacement at least allows me to run with an external LCD.
    I dont know whether to just give this thing back to the friend im working on it for and say sorry cant help you, or look into an LCD cable or maybe a replacement LCD. I guess if the owner doesnt want to toss any more money into it (which he doesnt), then either i give it back to him as is, or take the LCD bezel apart to see if the LCD cable has come off there.

Amazing that he took this thing to Geek Squad due to a dead hard drive. They had it back for a week (which was a week after his warranty expired) and the thing wouldnt power on.

Just finished taking the bezel apart and removing the LCD. The LCD cable seems to be fully connected, so either there's a break in the LCD cable or i have a bad LCD.

I can get the cable off of Ebay for $10. Just need to see if the 2nd Ebay seller i dealt with will issue a refund for the motherboard or require me to take a replacement.
    Gotta love it. Freebie repair from hell...

Does that heatsink also cool the graphics chip? If so, you may find that there is a gap between the die and the heatsink that has to be filled with a thermal pad.

Yes it does. I reused the thermal pads for the graphics and chipsets. I did clean off the CPU and heat sink for it and applied some Arctic Silver. I never get an image on the LCD and if it were a heat issue, i would think id have problems with the image on the external LCD as well.

The LCD cable should be here in a day or so. If it doesnt do the trick, then i think ill call it a day. I can get a refurb LCD for about $50 on Ebay, but the cost for MB, Cable and LCD will be close to $200 with no guarantee itll all work when its all reassembled.

Quote Originally Posted by LOTL View Post
    Yes it does. I reused the thermal pads for the graphics and chipsets. I did clean off the CPU and heat sink for it and applied some Arctic Silver. I never get an image on the LCD and if it were a heat issue, i would think id have problems with the image on the external LCD as well.

The LCD cable should be here in a day or so. If it doesnt do the trick, then i think ill call it a day. I can get a refurb LCD for about $50 on Ebay, but the cost for MB, Cable and LCD will be close to $200 with no guarantee itll all work when its all reassembled.
    I think you're right about that, but I think you're also right about having more than one issue.

Well the LCD cable didnt help. If i knew for sure it was the LCD, it might be worth a shot ordering it. Owner doesnt want to spend the money and i cant blame him.

Looks like itll be a parts machine. Hate getting beat, but you have to say uncle at some point and move on. Its not worth the cost of the motherboard, cable and LCD for me to make it a spare laptop.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Darn, that happens now and then. Thanks for letting us know!

The EDID epprom is on the LCD and ID's itself to the mainboard bios during post. Whats happening is either the bios cannot detect the epprom or does not recognize the EDID. Replacement boards do not always come with the latest bios updates so I would try flashing with the latest bios update and try again.

If that doesn't work then there are 2 possibilities, loose/bad cable or a video chip problem. Since you have multiple mobos then it gets confusing tshooting, like Ol"Tunz mentioned you likely have more than one issue.

1. Keep in mind CCFL backlight and LED lcd's have different cables , some ccfls' have 2 backlights meaning 2 connectors. Check all the connections from mobo and in front and behind the panel are connected correctly and taped from getting loose. The EDID signal is on the vga cable. If the panel is not getting power the bios may not see anything, so check the inverter.

2. If these are used or refurb mobo's I would guess they had power or video chip issues or repairs and may not have been repaired properly. If they are new then try a bios update.