Thread: can't find drivers

can't find drivers

hi, i'm looking fior drivers for my dell dimension 4550 desktop computer. it's chipset is an intel
    brookdale i845PE, it's network controller thing is a 8256 2ET/EZ PHY, and the OS is a windows xp home service pack 2 with pentium 4A 2400 MHz. I am trying to get the drivers so that i can
    access the internet on it however i cannot find them anywhere. I do not have an xp disk so i am
    kind of screwed on that front as well. We have a ghost instalation according wardD, who is
    helping me, of the ethernet controllers and PCI's/PNP's.
    I am also ward's nephew who had an account by the name of John Crighto, however that
    account was lost and i could not get the proper passwprd to work so i beleive it was hacked, so
    i made this one. I do not know if this information will be enough to help me with, however i will greatly appreciate any help you guys can give me. thanks in advance.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    http://support.dell.com/support/down...n&catid=&impid=

You can always try looking on the Dell website above for drivers. You should be able to buy a replacement XP CD set for around $20.

we have already been in that link and we didn't find the one we needed.

i'll suggest you to use this tool (freebie)
    http://www.hwinfo.com/

it's excellent at finding the correct name / model of those unknown devices or missing driver devices

then you can google up the manufacture site to get the drivers if DELL does not have them in their driver page.

which means that is a 3rd party interface device that was installed later on, and not part of the OEM Dell PC. as Dell and HP always list all the drivers they have ever packaged for those models.
    i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

thx for the suggestion on the program, i'll deffinately look into it right now.

i have looked into the stuff and the only thing i can see that could be the problem is the MAC address is unknown. the capabilities of the card are also unknown, any suggestions would be great. Also it appears my audio drivers are gone and i cannot find them, anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by johncrighto View Post
    we have already been in that link and we didn't find the one we needed.
    Which network drivers did you try? This is the only Intel NIC driver I see.
    http://support.dell.com/support/down...5&fileid=61613

I hope you realize that running the downloaded .exe only extracts the driver files. You must manually choose to update the nic driver from device manager.

Try this link direct from intels site, you have to pick your OS etc , remember to install your chipset drivers also, guess your not the only one having problems locating that driver, one thing you may want to check is the location the driver is unzipped to which would be the root of your C drive in a folder called Dell or drivers.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Prod...?ProductID=245

This may be the one you need and seems to have worked for many others with the same rig

Network Adapter Drivers for Windows XP* and Windows* Server 2003
    Installs network drivers. Includes Intel® PROSet for Windows Device Manager*, Advanced Networking Services (ANS), and SNMP.
    EVGA GTX 470
    OCZ 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3
    EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 SLI
    COOLER MASTER Stacker RC-832-KKN1-GP Black
    Intel tel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz Quad-Core

thx for all the help guys, it is now working fine and dandy. the internet is working great! crazy crusher that link had some good stuff. i thank you all for your patience as i am extremely green when it comes to software. ....now just to get the audio drivers..... lol.