Thread: 802.11n antenna question

802.11n antenna question

Hello, It been a while since i was last in here.
    I have a D-link DIR-855 router, 802.11n. I am looking to upgrade the antenna's on my router as i want to get a better coverage, The signal has to pass through a few walls at the moment and i lose signal when i move to one end of the house. I am based in ireland and so far (unless i am looking in wrong place) I have been unable to find anywhere that sells 802.11n smn Rubber duck antennas. I not sure what the default signal strength is on the present antenna's but i sure 7 Dbl+ would be enough. I hope someone can point me in the right direction so i can get this sorted.
    Thanks in advance for your advice.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    10 tips for improving your wireless network

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/setup/wirelesstips.aspx

I have mounted the router to the ceiling in the attic
    Last edited by Train; 10-07-2009 at 12:51 PM.

Thanks for the reply Train.
    I understand all that, but that is not what i am looking for. I am looking for somewhere i can buy 802.11n antenna's so i can boost my signal to get and wider coverage area.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Most folks do not cover all points in there first.

Cheeck out Hawkings stuuf.
    http://www.hawkingtech.com/products/...ID=32&FamID=58
    Nice items that you may need like adapters.
    http://www.hawkingtech.com/products/...ID=32&FamID=63

Nothing wrong with a extension cable and moving the antenna either. That got the sin\gnal over a steel door one time.

Just some stuff I hpe gets you started.

For that router, you need an RP-SMA connector, so if you search for "RP-SMA 7db antenna" you should find what you need. Some of those Hawking products that Train referenced include an assortment of adapters, including the RP-SMA.
    Also a search for "wi-fi antenna hacks" will turn up some resources that might be of interest.

Thanks everyone for your feedback, much appreciated. I been searching for months for extra strength antenna's with no luck. Thanks again

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    You are Welcome and good LUCK with the finding.

Antenna for 802.11n is very tricky it has to be one that specifically build for N and fit you Wireless.

In any case, when comes to Indoor a better Antenna would do very little.

Wireless was not design to work the way most users think. To extend covarage you have to use multi Access Points, either cable connected, or WDS.
    cat6
    MS - MVP, Networking.

Quote Originally Posted by cat6 View Post
    Antenna for 802.11n is very tricky it has to be one that specifically build for N and fit you Wireless.

In any case, when comes to Indoor a better Antenna would do very little.

Wireless was not design to work the way most users think. To extend covarage you have to use multi Access Points, either cable connected, or WDS.
    Hi kpr6872,

I had a similar problem and did exactly what Cat6 suggests. I set up three separate wireless access points bridged (cable connected) and it works like a dream now. have a look at http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204458 where I had the same problem.

Michael (South East Ireland)

Thank you all for your feedback. My other consideration was to get multiple routers and enabling WDS, i will look into it.
    Thanks again and i will let you know how i get on

From what I have read, 802.11n can be 5 GHz & or 2.4 GHz
    There are plenty of antennas available for both. I don't think you will find any specifically advertised a wireless "n" antennas however you will be able to find many choices listed by the frequency. I got a decent 2.4 GHz Yagi off of ebay for about $20 but it took 3 wks to get here from china. It is better suited to outdoors but there are several omni directional antennas that may help you. Placement is most critical for best coverage. One of these might work.
    http://www.fab-corp.com/home.php?cat=276
    Good luck

One time I used a usb to ethernet adapter & ran the antenna over 50' from the computer, the advantage being that the usb adapter can be located at the antenna & there is no signal loss over the usb/cat5 as compared to about 3db per 10ft. on coax I believe I read somewhere.
    Last edited by mcool61; 10-12-2009 at 09:26 PM. Reason: another idea
    Yea, though they walk in the valley of light with no shadows, everyone else is evil.
    Their bigotry & predjudice comfort them.
    for theirs is the power of self righteousness forever. allmen