Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The 'Off Topic' Forum

Ohhh, palm slapping forehead! Why didn't I think of that. My only excuse is that I haven't had my coffee yet.

I followed that procedure, went to the motherboard forum. When I did the same thing to return to this Off-Topic forum I got the same message that my system could not find the server. When I did it again, went to another forum, and hit the back arrow, return to previous area, it brought me back here.

Know what you mean about the morning coffee. Gotta have it!

Cross your fingers that what you have discovered so far will help Steve and/or other higher-ups figure out the "why?" ...

I'm on my laptop now, and seem able to navigate the forum without problem. The problem must lie on my desktop system, my primary system. The desktop is running W7, the laptop W8.1. I use Firefox exclusively on both. The desktop has Bitdefender, the laptop has the Microsoft antivirus (can't remember the name). Both have Malwarebytes.

I had a thread about my difficulty installing Bitdefender. You all got me through that, though I'm not overly fond of Bitdefender. I'm wondering whether it may be causing these current problems.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by 4breezes View Post

... the laptop has the Microsoft antivirus (can't remember the name).
    In Windows 7 it was known as Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE). In Windows 8 through 10 it is called Windows Defender.

... Both have Malwarebytes.

I'm not overly fond of Bitdefender. I'm wondering whether it may be causing these current problems.

Thoughts?
    Recommend, at the very least, the latest version of Windows 10 with Windows Defender (which is included with Windows 10) along with Malwarebytes Premium.

I'm on the laptop again, the only way I can get to this thread. Its getting really weird. I updated Firefox by a single upgrade. That helped. Now I can get to the Sysopt site almost all the time. Occasionally Bitdefender objects and I must reassure it that I do want to go to Sysopt. I can go to any of the forums within Sysopt with no problem. That's a great improvement. On this forum I can bring up any thread, EXCEPT this one. My desktop system simply refuses on this single thread.

What could it be about this thread which presents the difficulty? I remember that sometimes specific characters present problems in some instances. Could it be the quotation marks in the thread title, combined with something on my desktop? I'd test this idea, but I'm unable to edit the thread title.

FWIW I'm also using Bitdefender free version and it doesn't balk at any sysopt thread or forum.
    Don't believe everything you think

The problem seems to be narrowing. This thread has gone on to a second page, and that second page is coming up on my desktop. Page one will not come up, but page two will, same thread.

The reaction to Bitdefender is only occasional, and of less concern at the moment.

On this forum I can bring up any thread, EXCEPT this one. My desktop system simply refuses on this single thread.

What could it be about this thread which presents the difficulty? I remember that sometimes specific characters present problems in some instances. Could it be the quotation marks in the thread title, combined with something on my desktop? I'd test this idea, but I'm unable to edit the thread title.
    Just changed the double quotes to single. Let me know if it solved the problem pr not. If it didn't, I'll change them back.

Quote Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
    Just changed the double quotes to single. Let me know if it solved the problem pr not. If it didn't, I'll change them back.

Thank you. I can now bring up page one of this thread. Going to single quotes seems to have worked. I don't pretend to understand the mechanics of this problem, but the timing of the change is too coincidental to be ignored.

I'll give it a week for trial. If its something, a glitch, in my system it should show in that time. If it doesn't happen again in that week I'll consider the problem solved.

I appreciate your help, patience, and tolerance.

No problem whatsoever.

If you can only see Page one of this Thread, you might try changing your Settings > General Settings, then scroll down and change Number of Posts to Show Per Page from:

Use Forum Default

to:

Show 40 Posts Per Page

?