Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Trying to Install Xp on Vista Machine - F6 SATA Issues!

The IDE Mode selection may be in another section of the BIOS.
    MS MCP, MCSE

You should realize changing the AHCI setting will effect Vista and require a reinstall. You should check Device Manager -IDE Controller properties which should reveal if AHCI is enabled.
    Probably the only way to overcome this problem is to slipstream the drivers into a XP CD using nLite.
    http://www.msfn.org/board/integratio...rs-t51140.html

You might checkout http://www.my630i.com/index.php

I would opt for Windows 7 , better ram performance like XP , better experience than XP , but alas you've went a bought XP.
    Last edited by Rocketmech; 12-23-2009 at 01:53 PM.

Well with no avail with setting the BIOS settings for the IDE/Sata config and checking all the other settings, no luck.

I opened up my pc and checked the motherboard to see what my IDE access was, and it looks like the hookup for the IDE is blocked partially by the videocard. Really suprised DELL failed with the design there. So I cant hookup a new IDE hard drive to get past the SATA issuem unless an adaptor (SATA to IDE converter) would somehow overide it, but i doubt it.

Im wondering if I should just install my xp64bit on an external hard drive ...any ideas people

check the pic attached for my motherboard..

still ready to chuck 30-40 bucks at the right answeree

cheers!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    §PiÄj§

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    How much space is between the connector and the video cards?

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    How much space is between the connector and the video cards?
    the cards actually overlap the edges of the iDE port
    the space where the face of the port is in relation to where the card hangs over the board is:
    1/8th - 1/4inch
    §PiÄj§

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Checked several of my ribbons, 3/8th of a inch after plugging in.

If you have a open PCI slot, you can use a Ultra 133 TX2 ATA-133 PCI Controller Card
    I use the NON-Raid ones to add 4 more IDE devices.

Have you tried slipstreaming the drivers yet ? Also check the latest bios udate, I believe it stated in the notes about fixing the hidden SATA settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketmech View Post
    Have you tried slipstreaming the drivers yet ? Also check the latest bios udate, I believe it stated in the notes about fixing the hidden SATA settings.
    I havent tried slipstreaming, if that is using something like Nlite to get it on the install cd. just the floppy disk sata driver route..
    Gonna try it out today though, we'll see..

the bios update should be the latest, the dell website lists mine (1.0.13 version) as the latest BIOS to date, with no directions for SATA/IDE configuration. I may be wrong and would love it if i was and someone could point it out so i could fix this
    §PiÄj§

Ultimate Member
    Since this is Windows XP, I would suggest using AutoStreamer to do the slipstream as it is easier to use than
    N--Lite ... You should begin the process with an XP CD with SP2 or SP3 already in it. Then run Autostreamer and
    follow the steps to add in your SATA drivers. When done, burn the to a cd and do the installation.

You can get it here: http://www.softpedia.com/progDownloa...oad-13918.html

Easy to use, just watch what the screen says to do.

Link on how to use:

http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/u...streamer.shtml

well some good news and bad news...

i tried slipstreaming with nlite and it worked. Got the complete installation process completed, but when windows xp64 restarted to load for the first time it BSOD's and restarts right after the windows xp64bit loading flash screen. And it does the same thing when i boot to safe mode

Something to know, is that I am going for a dual boot and still have my vista 64 os loaded on its original partition (C drive) and have xp 64 on my other partition (D drive)

Looking into dual boot managers now to see if this is causing the BSOD which im pretty certain is the culprit, which should be my last hurdle for this installation process

any thoughts?...
    §PiÄj§

So I ficed the OS bootloader through a tutorial i found (www.dreamincode.net/forums/showtopic26756.htm), where i edited the Boot Config Data Editor and everything completed successfully. I rebooted and got to the OS loader screen with both XP and Vista displayed, and then after I start the XP OS and the splash screen begins to load the OS, it hits the BSOD and reboots before I can even see the error code.

My Vista OS still works fine, but no luck with the XP disc that is brand new(completely legit) The install seemed to go fine after i slipstreamed the drivers for the SATA and ethernet onto a CD, finished formating, copying windows files, reboot then went through basic protocol of setting timezone, networking, computer name, etc., then reboot to start windows xp for the first time and BOOM, i get the BSOD during the splash screen..

wondering if a complete formatting of the whole drive and just putting xp on, since thats all i need at this point might fix it..

Any ideas?
    Last edited by piajartist; 12-29-2009 at 11:13 PM.
    §PiÄj§

Well I stopped the auto restart feature so i could get the error code from the BSOD

Im getting this:

*** STOP: 0x0000007b, (0xfffffadf90a0f3c0, 0xfffffffc0000034, 0x0000000000000000,0x0000000000000000)
    §PiÄj§

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103

I don't see Dell posting any x64 drivers, just the x32 for XP, but maybe I'm missing it. There may be a reason for that...

I would try chkdsk from the Recovery Console first, if that doesn't help then a Repair Install. Your slipstream disk should include all the drivers for your system when trying the Repair Install. Yep, you have to make another.

How to Repair Install XP

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketmech View Post
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103

I don't see Dell posting any x64 drivers, just the x32 for XP, but maybe I'm missing it. There may be a reason for that...

I would try chkdsk from the Recovery Console first, if that doesn't help then a Repair Install. Your slipstream disk should include all the drivers for your system when trying the Repair Install. Yep, you have to make another.

How to Repair Install XP
    yeah, dell doesnt list any 64bit sata drivers for xp, but i checked the device manager and the manufacturer for my sata storage controller is actually Nvidia, and a little more research showed me it was the nvidia nforce 650i controller, so i went to nvidia and got the appropriate drivers but no luck. I think Im gonna just try a 32bit install slipstream till i get 64 working......ah Fun Fun!
    §PiÄj§

just to clarify there is no reason to hit F6 when it prompts for third party raid driver installation, etc., right? It didnt go to BSOD like it used to if i didnt hit F6 so i figured the sata driver installed fine during the installation process. Its almost like it took the driver fine during setup but once the GUI was trying to load it wasnt working then...

someone helping me at techguy forums told me that my error message broke down to this:

0x0000007B=Unmountable Boot Volume
    0xfffffffc0000034=STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND

which seems to match the microsoft troubleshooting page you posted
    §PiÄj§