Thread: gaining access to my files from another computer through WAN

gaining access to my files from another computer through WAN

Hey guys,
    I was just wondering if there is a way to gain access to my computer files via another computer on the other side of the net. My friend who lives in LA has high speed connection and so does mine in san diego. I am here in LA for the week and need to find a way to get a few files from my hard drive. My computer is on at the moment but no one is home. I do have my IP address if that helps any... I do have a firewall, zonealarm PRO.. let me know of some ideas if any.

Thanks!
    NJ

You'll have to have someone set it up at home. After all, if you could do this remotely, Windows would be full of leaks and security holes, wouldn't it? Oh...it is already, no? LoL!

www.gotomypc.com
    MS MCP, MCSE

bipolarbill

Hi Bipolarbill,
    Thanks for your reply. You are very informative on this board! Keep up the good work!

NJ

U need to be at ur computer to do this but u could transfer files with, FTP,VPN(need server200 or third party software) ,PcAnywhere(All windows), and Aol instant Messeger(not the verson on AOL-the standalone vers) can transfer files if u have it set up rite. That is all can think of right now, but like i said u have to have them set up on the host computer, and if u had any of these set up, yes u would need ur IP address to connect to it. ( U have half of what u need LOL)

Eric

AIM

ezroc-by using AIM doesnt an actual person need to be at the computer that i need to gain access to? if thats so, then it wont work in my situation as no one is home. i am in LA. but if AIM does work that way then, it is possible to set the AIM to be able to gain access to the computer at home???all i have to do is have AIM on the computer in LA and connect with the computer at home???

bipolarbill-thanks for the link, but im broke to purchase anything at the moment = (

You could use Netmeeting to set up Remote Desktop Sharing. You would need to keep it in the startup group and set a password. You could the email yourself what you need.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q233175
    MS MCP, MCSE