Thread: Linux bootloader and NTFS

Linux bootloader and NTFS

I'm trying to dule boot my windows XP machine with linux. I have the Redhat installed properly on it's own partition but the only way I can boot to it is to use the floppy I created during install. What I would like to know is can the GRUB bootloader see and boot a windows XP install that is located on a NTFS partition?

Just use NT bootloader.
    You will need a small FAT16 partition where you can dump linux boot sector's file.
    You can get the info from
    http://www.xperts.co.za/reuel/multiboot/page1.html

Good luck!!
    xenium2000

Not sure about Grub, but it probably can do it, if you set it up right and your version of Red Hat is fairly recent. I'm currently dual booting with Mandrake Linux 8.1 and Win2k (all 2k partitions are NTFS) and I use Lilo as my bootloader. I'm not sure why but I couldn't set up the boot loader during installation (well, I know what the error was, but I'm not sure why it worked outside installation when I used the same options both times), so I had to boot Linux the first time with a floppy, but it was easy to do once I was at the desktop. The graphical interface to set up Lilo worked perfectly and I didn't have to dig around in config files.

Unfortunately, I can't give you too much in the way of advice to actually accomplish this with Red Hat, although I do have a book that explains how to set up the NT loader to load linux (Siever, et al, Linux In A Nutshell, 3rd ed., O'Reilly).