Thread: Remember Laural & Hardy?

Remember Laural & Hardy?

In this troubled world we live in, I was wondering if anyone remembers the wit and wisdom of Laural & Hardy? The Marx Brothers seemed to me to be a little too mean spirited, the Stooges, a little too simple, although I love, "Shemp", Abbott & Costillo, I don't know. But Laural & Hardy, to me, were the apex of comedy! We could surely use a little more nowadays! Does anyone have anything to say on this?

glohworm

This sure does go back a ways, But you are right it was a much better time then. Although it seems like eons ago..

SPEEDO

I'v always wonder if they were gay, they were always seems to be sleeping in the same room.

Blue Ridge Mountains

I just love that film where Laurel sings 'in the blue ridge mountains of virginia' - or was it Hardy, and the end bit where Hardy raps Laurel on the head with a mallet and raises the voice to soprano. Now what was that film called.

Who's on first?

Still gets 'em every time.
    Guinness for health!
    Guinness for strength!

I can't remember either.

ChrisDevismes,

You almost had it right. Hardy sang while Laural did that great dance. They were hiding out on some cotton plantation with their faces darkened like "Al Jolsen". Remember. Finally they run into the warden and Laural blows the whole thing when he gives him the "Rasberries" through his loose tooth!

I just wish I had DSL or cable; then I could probably download all their wonderful early shorts, etc. Thanks for jarring my memory!

glohworm

Laurel & Hardy & Raspberries

I don't know if the film you describe is the one I remember, Glohworm. I seem to recall the scene, when they sing 'The blue ridge mountains of Virginia', takes place in a western style bar !! Hey, but the hell with finite details, just to reminice is just the biz anyway.
    Cheers Glohworm

You are correct!

ChrisDevismes,

You are right on the money. I was confusing the two movies. Now this is going to bother me all to hell. What was the song Hardy sang while Laural danced in the prison movie? I'll have to head for the local video store or surf some L&H fan sites.

I hate a mystery.

glohworm

Way out West

I though u might like this bit Glohworm - a review from www.amazon.co.uk

All 3 films are excellent, Way Out West was very funny as you follow their quest to get their hands on the deeds of a Gold Mine and the famous dance routine was great as was the their rendition of the famous The Blue Ridged Mountains of Virginia. Sons of the Dessert is a very creative and enjoyable film which has incredible twist and turns in the story, but it has to be Music Box - their Oscar winning film that is the ultimate comedy short of all time, it is a classic comedy sketch that everyone must see, the unbelievable antics they get up to as they attempt to deliver a piano to a house at the tip of a steel stoop of stairs... I was crying with laughter. If you only ever buy one of their films it should be this one!

ChrisD

"Horns!"

Chris,

I don't want to drag this thread out. Let's let it die a normal death, seeing as no one but us have bothered to post, but that's ok. Just a final thought on what one considers L&H's best. Two come to mind:

Horns; where Ollie and Stan go to sea with the goat and the fugitive with his gun named, "Junior"! The absolute tops as to funny comes when they're forced to eat the phony spaghetti meal made out of string, sponge, red paint, and, I think, saw dust for the gratted cheese! It's the mournful clarinet music in the background that makes it the classic that it is.

Yank at Oxford; where Stan somehow morphs into some former Oxford student/superman after having a window slam on his head. Whenever this dude got mad, he'd wiggle his ears and then all hell would break loose!

Thanks for taking the time to respond to this silly thread of mine. I have a feeling that I dated myself even bringing up the subject. For all we know, this forum could consist mainly of teenagers and L&H could be as foreign to them as Britney Spears is to me!

Gary