Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any bugs in Windows XP

Any bugs in Windows XP

Its a cool os, but every good thing has a hidden bug, so tell others the bugs u found.
    hehe
    SpoLT(syedasadraza@hotmail.com)

It seems a lot of problems with WinXP is when it is installed as an upgrade, ie on top of previous release. People that have installed it from scratch report fewer issues.

The follow fixes are current planned for Service Pack 1:
    Q306458 AMD PowerNow! Functionality May Not Be Available in Windows XP
    Q306580 Unexpected Power-Management Issues with Windows XP and Intel PIII CPU
    Q306582 Memory Leak Occurs with SoundBlaster Live! Device Driver
    Q307271 Dynamic Update I USB Speakers Make a "Pop" Sound When You Play Audio
    Q307274 Windows XP Stops Responding (Hangs) During Windows Shutdown
    Q307316 Volume License Product ID Is Revealed During the Sysprep.exe Mini-Setup Wizard
    Q307753 Micrografx Graphics Suite 2 Starts Minimized or Off Screen
    Q307754 Cannot Print from a Window XP-Based Computer to a Shared Printer on a Windows 95-Based Computer
    Q307869 Files and Settings Are Not Transferred When You Use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
    Q307969 Error Message After Installing a Hewlett-Packard 4400-Series Scanner on the Parallel Port
    Q308035 Computer Stops Responding When Shim Code Has a Buffer Overrun
    Q308131 You May Not Be Able to Sign Up for the Internet by Using a Modem
    Q308210 Remote Assistance May Not Connect to a Multiple-Homed Windows XP Computer with the Personal Firewall Feature Enabled
    Q308276 You Cannot Stop a Counter Log in Performance Monitor
    Q308285 Alps Pointing-Device Is Listed as Alps Touchpad in Device Manager
    Q308306 Contact Information for Epson Stylus Photo Is Incorrect on Windows XP
    Q308307 Third-Party Programs Have Functionality Issues in Windows XP
    Q308361 Quake Quits Abnormally in Windows XP
    Q308362 Error Message Appears When You Start Laplink PCsync Version 2.0 on Windows XP
    Q308381 Third-Party Programs May Experience Wrong Behaviors and Errors in Windows XP
    Q308387 Autolfn.exe May Build Sound Files with Damaged File Names
    Q308402 Cannot Log On to Recovery Console After Running Sysprep in Windows XP
    Q308414 IE6 fix Patch Available for HTTP Request Encoding Vulnerability
    Q308676 Screen Stays Black for Several Minutes Before "Please Wait" Message Appears After You Run Factory.exe
    Q308677 Error Message Appears When a Limited User Tries to Stream Media in Windows Media Player
    Q308928 The MCI_PLAY Command Returns No Response for Five or More Seconds
    Q309073 Invalid Universal Plug and Play Request can Disrupt System Operation
    Q309126 Error Message Appears with an Asus Video Adapter in Windows XP
    Q309127 List of Fixes That Are Included in the Windows XP Dynamic Update Package
    Q309376 A Long Time Is Needed to Open a File By Using SMB
    Q309440 A 3Dlabs Wildcat 5110 AGP Video Adapter Is Not Detected in the AGP Slot on Itanium-Based Computers
    Q309447 Content Search Does Not Search All File Types for the Specified String
    Q309495 Problems with Windows Installer Over Wireless Connection
    Q309521 Windows XP Update Package - October 25 2001
    Q309691 Compact Disc Recorded in Windows XP Is Missing Files or Folders or Is Unreadable
    Q310407 Access Violation When You Run ASP Page or VBScript Program
    Q310436 Cannot Play a DVD in Windows XP
    Q310437 Cannot Start the UPS Service
    Q310507 Enabling Acoustic Echo Cancellation and DV Camera/TV Tuner Support in Windows Messenger
    Q310510 Playback and Copy-Protection Issues When You Try to Play the Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs DVD Movie
    Q310527 Stop Error When You Upgrade from Windows 2000: Bad_Pool_Caller 0xC2
    Q310528 Issue Installing Windows XP on Computers That Have Wireless LAN Adapters

The main problems I have with XP are the annoyances, hardware and software incompatibility. A conspiracies theory has it that M$ conspired with the computers manufacturers so that to run XP you have to buy a new rig.
    BTW I haven’t heard a single word about XP’s incompatibilities from DELL.

XP came on my new Dell.. works perfect.... well, so far it has for 3 months.

I had been for the last 5 years and still using W-95B on my IBM Aptiva.

On DellTalk there is all kind of hell when upgrading. Most the first time don't do a clean install.
    Last edited by arkie; 03-02-2002 at 03:44 PM.
    Criminals love gun control... it makes their jobs safer.

My dormmate (i'm a college student) upgraded his Dell P4 machine from (shudder) ME to XP Pro and it works infinitely better now than it did even when he bought it new...

Gone
    I might be out in left field on this one but.The releases of Win2000 pro,server-etc. and Win XP-all types are based on the .net kernal as oposed to old windows.The formats are even dif.It's possible for some older machines to be incompatable with the net kernal.Also games that had issues in win2000 are likely to have similar issues in XP since they are based on the same code.The .net kernal is by far superior to old win.I think it is just a matter of programmers learning how everything flys in the new code.Simple things can cause big probs. when it comes to programming and a change in the code can through a real wrench in the works.M$ can't be responsible for prog.s that are written third party,its up to them to fix the issues as it should be.So when a interact usb game pad or what not doesn't work blaim Interact.

I just helped a freind setup his new all-in-one HP /printer/ scanner/fax machine/copier unit.As soon as I saw it I thought ohhh-nooo and he's got XP-not '98.And I was right for thinking that.The unit's instuctions were way wrong for XP.XP you plug it in before driver install(unlike instuctions said).As the cd drivers are not XP compateable.It works but all the extra features(like one button scanning and copying)are disabled.Wen't to HP website and found that they were testing the new drivers yet before the release-could be 2,3 months till out.Now it isn't M$'s fault,it is HP's.Point is it was all jumbled up for a newbe like him to hook-up,I mean he didn't even know how to turn the PC on!Win XP is supposed to be so easy for newbe's to learn but he's a primary example of how it really works.New OS=mass confusion.And when I had to explain why his old games(just bought them) didn't work on his brand name new computer it just added to the confusion!His boys Harry Potter game worked but not Interstate '76.How can a new machine not run 4+-year old games?That must have took a hour to explain and the whole new kernal thing just made his eyebrow raise and go"thats dumb".So who does he blaim-M$.Who do I blaim-being that I am a pc enthusiest?HP and game programmers for not fixing via. patch. Also the sales person-since he bought the HP unit with the new PC at the same store,same time.The sales person should have known better but we know how that goes!.In the end most Newbe's just hate Bill Gates more for the newest version.His ideas to grasp the general public just fumbled BIG time.Me-I don't think it's too bad.But the games issue is a big thing for me.I might aswell run win2000 pro if that is going to be the prob.ME is too slow and '98 is unreliable.Got burned twice I did,going to wait for the smoke to clear this time around and see what the deal is.

Originally posted by arkie
    XP came on my new Dell.. works perfect.... well, so far it has for 3 months.

I had been for the last 5 years and still using W-95B on my IBM Aptiva.

On DellTalk there is all kind of hell when upgrading. Most the first time don't do a clean install.
    Dell is very rigid and limited in the devices offered. Win XP likes this. Dell is one of the primary test beds for microsoft offerings and you better believe that their issues are resolved before release of each OS.

No bugs in XP for 3 months, not even a crash?

I read where someone posted a message saying he thought there had found a bug, but bill gates posted a replay assuring us it is a feature..... I'm convinced WinXP is as free of bugs as EVERY other microsoft release. How about you?

Originally posted by hyborn

No bugs in XP for 3 months, not even a crash?

No, not one in three months... never seen XP crash.

Havent had my system freeze since install(about 1 month ago)
    And beleiev me I put my Computer through hell some days.

No bugs found either.
    Nothing in life is as certain as death, but death is not a wall but a doorway to a new adventure

The ONLY problem I've had with my computer since building it and freshly installing WinXP was just a few days ago.

I was working on a couple things and suddenly the computer's speaker started beeping and the mouse pointer started jittering around as well as a document I was working on started scrolling up and down quickly. It stopped, then repeated a few minutes later.

I have no clue what caused it, and really didn't have a chance to check what it was because it happened so quickly.

I installed xp on Thanksgiving weekend. I can honestly say it has been running since then, 24/7 excluding a daily reboot. I think the way I have approached the latest shot given by Microsoft is this:

When my 98SE crashed, I had to reboot. For example, Explorer. once that went, you had to reboot, hands down.

With XP, I get a message that says, Explorer has a problem and needs to close. Then bang, its right back to normal. The problems are obviously still there but XP handles them much, much better. Of course my computer does things that most people wouldn't consider but hey, I've always been an abusive owner.

It did take a month to tweak it to where I like it and there are some issues but I firmly believe my motherboard is the main issue which will be resolved with a KR-7A 133R........................soon!

Madtripper
    Love, Peace and Hair Grease

Hundreds, too numerous too mention, on a near brand new rig.

Wish i had stuck to win2k, but can't be a dinosuar all my life, geesh.

and don't talk to me about burning, more geesh......
    Life is a bowl of cherries