What am I overlooking?
    MSI via Kt133A board (new)
    Allied 300W powersupply (new)
    Duron 1200(new)
    WD 40 GB 5400 ATA100(new)
    nVidea geforce 2MX 200 2x
    board supports 1x 2x 4x
    boots properly from floppy or cd
    goes thru the motions, pci, scandisk, then scan reg (clean drive)
    and copying files needed for setup and that's it. It just sits there staring at me daring me to figure it out.

I've changed to 3 different cdroms, no luck
    I've put a used hard drive on it with win on it hoping to cheat, but it gives me a windows protection error and wants to laugh and restart. I've thought about itimidating it with a blow torch but it's not mine and I really should be done with it by now.

I even researched the sysopt troubleshooting and tried some others hints, ie disable all onboard doohickies, and turned it off and on several times (some sort of enumerator stuff).... to no avail.

am I overlooking something obvious? I fdisked, formated, named, renamed, I'm out of ideas. System builds are easier than Packard Bell upgrades..... this is my favorite part of the job.

I've had enumerous luck with these boards and have one myself, any gurus up to taking me down a notch?

and thanx...
    PAmos

Try installing Win98 with your computer absolutely barebones.
    Take out the sound card, modem, LAN card, switch to onboard or PCI graphics if you can, etc.

Still no luck, but the barebones was a good idea.
    Put pci video in it still stops on setup. No matter what copy of windows I put in it.

May I ask another stupid question? Where is the setup actually looking for files from? And what files exactly is it looking for?
    Bill,,, were are ya?
    PAmos

Is this an install from a restore disk or a full copy of windows ? If it is a full copy, you could try copying the files to your hard drive and installing from there.

as in--- xcopy e:\ c:\
    i thought xcopy only worked in windows
    i don't know all the dos commands i probably should..

opps, win98se full ver, sorry
    PAmos

If you aren't using a restore disk and are using a normal W98 cd to install with, boot up with the bootdisk, and when you get to the A: prompt, type C: and press enter....now type MD W98 and press Enter again. This will create a folder on C: called W98. Now change to the cdrom drive letter that loaded during the boot (normally E: ) and put your cd into the drive. At the E: prompt type cd\WIN98 and press Enter. Now type
    COPY *.* C:\W98 and press Enter again.

Once the files are all copied over you will be back at the E:\Win98> prompt, so take your cd out of the drive, take the floppy disk out of the drive and type C: and press Enter...now type CD\W98 and press Enter....now type SETUP and press Enter and the installation will begin.

Make sure you have your Product Code Key for the cd or the installation won't complete.
    Hope it works for you.
    Last edited by JDT; 02-28-2002 at 06:09 PM.

What an incredibly useful piece of information. That will go in the little red book. And THANK YOU!!

Unfortunately that solution also did not work.
    I am really stumped now.
    Could it be a defective (but new) HD? It formats fine, boots fine?
    What a head scratcher.....

Where are the computer gods that know the internal engineering by heart?

There's got to be a peice of hardware (changed out everything except mobo and hard drive, including floppy, cd, mem, cpu)
    Heck, I'm going in to try the keyboard and mouse.....
    I am stupified.
    PAmos

WOW........Don't ya just love it ! NOT !!
    Let's see, what's left ? The three things I would find suspect would be;
    1. Heat. What are your temps looking like ?
    2. PSU. 300 watts is really minimum. 350 would be much better. Did you try another one in it ?
    3. Ram. What kind are you using ? Did you try swapping it out with a known good stick ? Try changing slots and only using one stick, if you have more in it.

I used to work for MS and we got this problem alot. With win98 it just hates fast processors (600MHZ+AMD Especially) when you do a dos install so we would sometimes shut off the internal and external cache L1 and L2 to complete install from dos and then re-enable them after install.
    it will be slow but it might work

There are several possible causes I've experienced
    1st a damaged cd either dirty or scratched.they can be washed with mild soap and rinsed with cool to warm water.Dry with cotton balls or plain soft tissue.
    2nd is the HDD Fdisk'ed and formatted.It needs to be ready to take an OS.Re start the system after each operation
    3rd a bad card or peripheral can cause this so remove all card except video and all peripherals but the keyboard and try againIf this works replace the cards one at a time til things start messing up. Hope this has the answer

I would call AMD about this and tell them exactly the same thing you have posted here.

It sounds like the CPU cache may not be flushing properly.

Or if you have another cpu to try in there do that first.

SPEEDO

NewBreedAmos

When SETUP fails, it creates 3 files - SETUPLOG.TXT, DETLOG.TXT, DETCRASH.LOG - wherein are recorded the installation process up to the point it crashed. Of the 3, 2 are hidden files - DETLOG.TXT and DETCRASH.LOG. You should be able to view these files in C:\ drive. SETUPLOG.TXT is your best shot at what really happened in light of your failure to succeed.

Another thing you should do is to press on with SETUP after each crash. SETUP is an intelligent, little thing. It's got "brains". At each bottleneck when SETUP fails, it records the reasons in the 3 files. Every time you attempt re-installation, SETUP bypasses the reasons for the failure, and proceeds with installation. Eventually, SETUP will complete. The process of re-installation in this manner is known as SAFE RECOVERY. Did you try SAFE RECOVERY.

The catch is - it's recommended that you cold-boot the system. In other words, switch off and switch on your machine. Wait for, say, 20 seconds, before you begin anew. Do not restart with CTRL+ALT+DEL (the three-finger salute). SETUP may fail when you do a warm re-boot.

That, unfortunately, is the good news. The bad news is this. If you've got hardware problems, SETUP is less likely to succeed. Defective ram, video display card, for example, could take you on a wild goose chase to achieve success.

Let's take a look at what SETUP does, see whether we could come to an broad view of the process and perhaps understand what could have gone wrong.

I stand to be corrected on my assumptions here. So anyone with an alternative view, please pitch in. Diffferent views will enable us to construct a composite of the installation process, which is a much more rewarding enterprise for us all.

When SETUP begins for the first time, real-mode SCANDISK is despatched to scour the depths of your hard disk. SETUP is pretty particular about the condition of your hard disk. Scandisk checks it for errors - directory structures, File Allocation Table, etc., etc. Cylinder 0, Head 0, Sector 1 must pass the test, or the BOOT SECTOR will be declared uninhabitable. In that event, SETUP stops. Bad sectors on your hard disk.

When your hard disk is given the green light, SETUP starts to map out your memory, dividing it into specific areas for specific uses. Briefly speaking, the first 1MB of memory (the 16-bit arena), for example, is drawn up. 640KB for conventional memory, 384KB for the upper memory area. Beyond that is extended memory (the 32-bit arena). This is protected-mode territory, and is currently addressable up to 4GB.

After setting up the memory "map", SETUP copies files such as IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS, COMMAND.COM and other "TSRs" to conventional memory where segments are also set aside as video adapter buffers, network card buffers, etc. A portion of it (from 639KB to 640KB) is reserved for the ROM BIOS.

The first 64KB of extended memory (protected-mode arena) is taken up by system files critical to SETUP - HIMEM.SYS, RAMDRIVE.SYS, EMM386.EXE, etc.

HIMEM.SYS (Extended Memory Manager) is needed by SETUP to load your operating system above the first MB of memory, the protected-mode environment. RAMDRIVE.SYS creates a RAMDRIVE on your hard disk where the OS is initially installed. No RAMDRIVE on your hard disk, no installation.

When all these elements are initialized, SETUP is poised to begin. The SETUP SCREEN appears. You're then introduced to the FIVE STEPS the SETUP WIZARD will perform -

1. Preparing to run Windows 98 SETUP
    2. Collecting information about your computer
    3. Copying files to your computer
    4. Restarting your computer
    5. Setting up hardware and final settings

NewBreedAmos, your system appears to have crashed on the third step - copying files to your computer.

What could have caused the breakdown. Consider these possibilities.

BIOS
    If your BIOS has VIRUS PROTECTION enabled, SETUP has been known to stop.

Remedy? DISABLE the VIRUS PROTECTION bit in your BIOS.

PNP OS INSTALLED.
    If the value of this entry in the BIOS is YES, SETUP may have difficulty digging in.

Remedy? Set PNP OS INSTALLED to NO.

ANTI-VIRUS PROGRAM
    If you've got anti-virus program installed, DISABLE automatic virus scan. Might just be a good idea to uninstall it altogether.

RAM
    If SETUP continues to "drop dead" at Step 3 Copying files, you ought to consider defective ram, well, not necessarily defective ram. Perhaps a re-allocation of ram slots (memory banks) is really the answer.

Michael Chiew

What am I overlooking?
    MSI via Kt133A board (new)
    Allied 300W powersupply (new)
    Duron 1200(new)
    WD 40 GB 5400 ATA100(new)
    nVidea geforce 2MX 200 2x
    board supports 1x 2x 4x
    boots properly from floppy or cd
    goes thru the motions, pci, scandisk, then scan reg (clean drive)
    and copying files needed for setup and that's it. It just sits there staring at me daring me to figure it out.

I've changed to 3 different cdroms, no luck
    I've put a used hard drive on it with win on it hoping to cheat, but it gives me a windows protection error and wants to laugh and restart. I've thought about itimidating it with a blow torch but it's not mine and I really should be done with it by now.

I even researched the sysopt troubleshooting and tried some others hints, ie disable all onboard doohickies, and turned it off and on several times (some sort of enumerator stuff).... to no avail.

am I overlooking something obvious? I fdisked, formated, named, renamed, I'm out of ideas. System builds are easier than Packard Bell upgrades..... this is my favorite part of the job.

I've had enumerous luck with these boards and have one myself, any gurus up to taking me down a notch?

and thanx...

Still no luck, but the barebones was a good idea.
    Put pci video in it still stops on setup. No matter what copy of windows I put in it.

May I ask another stupid question? Where is the setup actually looking for files from? And what files exactly is it looking for?
    Bill,,, were are ya?
    Michael Chiew

Let me digest all these powerful messages, in the mean time:

I took duplicate board (no add on card except old trident pci video card) put 750 amd and same hd same ram stick, not same keyboard or mouse, it boots and installs like clockwork.

However. Just for fun I am going to finish the install, remove the HD and put it back in the snakebit machine with the 1200 duron just to see what happens.

Will be back. And much gratitude...to EVERYONE

P.S. what does it mean when your post gets moved? Just curious. Did I put post in wrong catagory?
    PAmos

Ok, now troubleshoot this for fun.

Moved the HD as described earlier and the computer locks up at boot on Device 3.

Exact message: invalid Vxd dynamic link device number 3 service B

What the heck is that supposed to mean?
    PAmos

Well, now you are going to have a whole other can of "worms" !
    You will have hardware conflicts. The HD already has the hardware configs from the board that works. When you drop it back in the other board it will load that boards hardware, and thus conflicts.
    You can put it back in the one that works, then go into your registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/ENUM) and delete this folder. Do this right before you are ready to pull it out and transfer it to the other board. The folder will be recreated (with the new hardware configs) when you reboot.