Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: LINUX SUCKS!!!!

LINUX SUCKS!!!!

gay?

tru....

Yes, yes it does suck....

The kernel is badass and people will argue till they are blue in the face how great linux is. Problem is, the rest of it sucks. It is immature, all the commands are named after stupid inside jokes. The bar for everything is "hey, there's this new webbrowser on Linux that is fully compatible with IE 3.0". People will brag about the word processor because its "almost as good as Microsoft Word".

Unfortunately free software will always feel like free software. Why do you think MS charges $500 for their office suite? (Well, because they can, but also) because it costs a big pile of cash to write good software. Duh.

Amen man.... Amen, also I have a little something to add... the only reason Linux is so stable is because you can't do anything with it to screw it up... DUH!

No Carl uses linux so its badass

Whaddya want for free? Anyway, watch out for Lindows, coming soon.
    Life is a bowl of cherries

Hmms, im the only one not recognizing linux in your completely biased opinions? I've been running linux since 97 and have been completely satisfied with it the larger amount of the time.
    The only reason i still stick with windows from time to time is that i need the web development tools that are available for this OS (Such as Dreamweaver).
    True, linux might not have so "many" apps, freshmeat.net just has over 18'000 different applications for linux and other unix tastes. And i'm sure that linuxapps.com has even more of them.
    Sure, you need to know what the h*ll you are doing to get linux and other unices to work as they should.
    I ran into a guy who said he had tried linux and then 'escaped from the room almost screaming how bad it was', he then uninstalled it 30 minutes later...If you are those people, don't say a word on how bad linux is, you have to, as on any system learn how it works and get into it.
    Windows might be well used, but it's neither secure n'or stable.
    Linux is not that much used, but is stabler and more securer, but it sure lacks the extra apps that is needed to take the throne from MS and Windows.

Linux is great for running as servers and similiar, also as powerful workstations, it may not be as good as windows when it comes to user-friendliness or useabilty but it kicks windows *** when it comes to speed and such.

The newest XFree86 releases has been great, i can agree that the 3.x.x releases sucked, but all 4+ releases has been great.

Don't say a OS is **** until you have tested it for more then a couple of months. I have run BeOS, qnx, windows (ever since 3.1), Linux, Freebsd, openbsd, OS/2 and others. And i can just say that each and every of these OS'es has been great, FOR THE PURPOSE THEY WHERE MADE. you can't expect that a linux machine shall have all the games and all the apps that windows has, cause it wasn't made to be a gaming OS, it was made to work as a server or a powerfull highend workstation.
    And for that it rules....And you should note that this is from a person who has original CD's of 95/98/2k And XP....

To sum it up: Linux is great for It's purpose, it cant take on the role of doing All the things windows does, but it takes on some of them and it does All of those things better...

Why not install Linux, install WineX or similiar (buy it first ofcourse) and slam up some apps...or why not buy lindows when it comes, it's said to run Windows apps as fast or even faster than on a windows machine...
    ----
    Men folket pa sysopt...ar ni verkligen sa pass intresserade av min signatur att ni maste fraga?

I'm not partial to any particular OS. I like to tinker with them all, from the mainframe down to the pc. They all have their merits.

Linux is popular due to the fact that anyone can customize the code and play with the internals. You can't do that with most of the other OS's.

Keep an eye on Linux. IBM just announced a "mainframe" that runs Linux. Linux is becoming a serious contender in the market place.

The only reason I don't run Linux full time is because I like to play the intensive games that only run under Windows.

Linux is great for servers but mostly blows for the desktop environment.

hoodedrat have you ever actually installed Linux or are you just trying to stir up emotions?

Well I must say the only think that your ranting about shows is your ignorance on the subject. This happens often to newbies.
    "... can't do anything with it to screw it up..." ? I wish. Unfortunately due to the ability to "mess" with the Linux Kernel you can do a lot of messing about! But hey don't worry your little head because it's way to complicated for you to grasp! Stick to playing your Windows games. One advice: reset your computer once in a while because it might freeze on you. Even those great Microsoft programmers that write good software and cost a lot to pay that fishninja007 talks about can't explain why Windows (ALL VERSIONS: 9x, ME, NT, XP) "eats" up its resources after some opening and closing of apps!! Even MS admits it’s a good practice to reset the OS every once in a while.

Your thinking: "finally I caught a Linux fanatic to flame!"
    Well it just so happens I mostly develop applications for the Windows environment and believe you me: I have had my share of MS bugs that could last me a lifetime!

Ever since I managed to get a drastic drop in maintenance time on my file-servers after going from Novell to Windows 2K to Linux/Samba I turned into a Linux supporter.

Those of you who only want to fiddle with your joysticks are better off with Windows. But try and keep your biased thoughts to yourselves. They benefit nobody!

I ran a linux firewall for about 4 months without restarting it. The longest I have seen a windows machine go was about a week before getting a BSOD. Its a hell of a lot more stable but the UI needs a lot of work.

I'm running Linux as I post. Works fine for me. The KDE interface looks just like Windows. It comes with a SDK. All for the cost of the distribution. For $40, I have a DVD with 4.2Gb of applications, games and the operating system and all the source code. What could be more fun than that?

Obviously you either haven't used Linux or just suck with computers. Everyone who's saying Linux blows on the desktop and the UI sucks, hmmm....you're wrong. If you dont like the GUI, dont blame LINUX. Blame the developers for KDE, Gnome, Blackbox, Fluxbox, Window Maker, TWM, Sawfish, Enlightenment, shall I go on? Oh, so Linux also sucks with programs too eh? Not enough stuff, programs suck, whatever ya think. Name off a few programs and I'll show ya Linux progs that most likely will perform better. (and dont tell me you're all flash developers. if you use flash, then ya got me there. I dont know of a linux equiv)

Lets kinda think back to when you started using Windows and how hard it was. I don't think you were a guru with it in 3 days. Point and click was the best you could do.

Don't get me totaly wrong, Windows is a good OS. Easy to use (like Linux), a lot of pgorams (like Linux) and easy for basic config. The reason I use Linux is because it has more of the programs that I need daily, it loads faster, is a LOT more stable, and free. I fire up Linux once in a while if I need to check how my web pages look in IE or play an occasional video game.

One more thing. Linux can't play all the games Windows can. haha! Get a darn life guys. Video games are fun and all but you can't spend every moment on your computer playing a darn video game. Most of us have jobs and such so thats the last thing we think about. If ya want games though, use Windows or get a playstation or something.

I suggest that all the people that say the OS plain sucks actually sit down and try to use it. If you're really not interested in that, dont say it sucks. Just point out the parts you've seen of Linux that don't reallly appeal to you. I dont really like Windows XP, I've tried it a few times and I dont like it too much. Do I hate it? No. That particular OS is just not for me.
    This will all be over before you can say Cat in a Hat.

Ultimate Member
    I checked a linux box at school today because I knew it had been up for a while and I was curious so I did uptime and it had been up for 189 days. This machine backs up 30 gigs of data daily and serves a webpage and email as well as exports about 10 gigs of diskspace to about 10 users. I agree linux is not as user friendly as windows but windows just does not have that kind of stability.

Linux, its a real cool gang & your not part of it

hoodedrat gay?
    You are just insecure.

fishninja007 Yes, yes it does suck....

The kernel is badass and people will argue till they are blue in the face how great linux is. Problem is, the rest of it sucks. It is immature, all the commands are named after stupid inside jokes.
    Ahh with your trully half a$$ed argument you are really spoiling us. Most dos commands are based on *nix commands. What is so stupid about calling the copy command "cp" or the move command "mv" or even the remove command "rm". i know they are kinda far out names but hang in there.

Epyon9283 Linux is great for servers but mostly blows for the desktop environment.
    A valid argument but I would tend to disagree

I run linux on lots of desktop sytems & it works great for me. I even play modern games like RTCW.

Its great to see so many positive posts about linux on a non-linux board.

For those of you that are offended by anything I have said, don't be

At the end of the day its just an OS & choice is best, just don't bash other peoples choices when you have a really lame argument.

Regards

Eddy
    Last edited by SpookyEddy; 03-01-2002 at 10:28 PM.