Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: LINUX SUCKS!!!!

Who cares

Why is it everywhere I go there are people who love, and hate that lil penguin and windows. Who really cares that much. To me if you use windows you probably aren't doing the same things that linux users are. From what I've seen (which is enough) linux is more for your programming geek, and windows is more for your gamming geek. Stop the hate, theres enough of that around, and just except it.

Re: Who cares

Originally posted by Qiuth
    Why is it everywhere I go there are people who love, and hate that lil penguin and windows. Who really cares that much. To me if you use windows you probably aren't doing the same things that linux users are. From what I've seen (which is enough) linux is more for your programming geek, and windows is more for your gamming geek. Stop the hate, theres enough of that around, and just except it.
    heh, you're right. there is no need to put down the any OS at all. They all were made for different purposes, not to take over as desktop King. (even though Windows is just that right now )
    This will all be over before you can say Cat in a Hat.

Hey Bogg,

"Hmms, let's say you want to automate some things in windows without learning VB, (or vbscript if you want), then you ssh to another unix machine?"

To quote your own bleating, "You shouldn't put it down because you can't handle it."

Is VB difficult for you? Is its easy-to-use, OOP conceptual model too much when compared to that quality C tool you make that takes 800,000 lines to code because C is really nothing more than portable assembly?
    Last edited by Ranma; 03-06-2002 at 12:57 AM.

You Know when I wanted to try linux I started asking questions in linux forums as to pro and con, I was given much advice but the one thing that was said the most was the following.

"If you want an OS that you can build and add programs or remove programs at will without loosing stability and security then check linux out. BUT remember you will not learn it over night, it takes time and effort to learn, six months just to really get your feet wet.
    If you are not willing to put forth the effort and time you are better off with windows because you really don''t have to know much to run it."

I consider myself a newbe in linux for I have been using it only one year, but in that time I have learned to appreciate the stability, flexability, security and the amount of FREE programs you can add. My wife who has been using computers only six months is already starting to use linux and really appreciates not having BSOD'S like she had in win98SE.

For those who say they hate it I would recommend reconsidering, try dual booting like I am win2k/Mandrake 8.1. Check out your hardware if compatible your set if not wait till you can afford what you need or you will just be wasting your time. Who knows you may just start to love that lil penguin.
    Last edited by rrockingb; 03-11-2002 at 08:10 PM.

I must agree with Eddy on this issue. It is an OS, that's it. I'm old enough to remember when some said "VHS sucks", look what happend there! If you want to have some REAL fun, go to a Linux site and say the same thing OR go into a truck stop and yell "Johnny Cash Sucks!". I am an MCSE and I don't think any one individual can say they know ANY OS to the nth degree, I certainly don't. And I enjoy certain parts of many OS's, from Amiga to Windows, all have so incredible technology built into them. And like so many fellow "geeks" have admitted to on here, I agree that if you like to play games, Windows is THE platform for that, and Linux is THE platform for Servers. And Lindows, IF MS does not stop it via legel action, could be a formidable desktop OS, if it is given a chance. Good luck to you.

As a system administrator, I've come to rely on Linux based systems for daily operation of our proxy and email servers; it offers stability and performance that Windows flavors can't touch. Plus windows is jewd, and hoodedrat digs the C in A.

Anti-CinA

FEAR WINDOWS... IT OWNS ALL, AND WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO FOREVER

c in a

Moderator Note: removed white space...
    Last edited by Jimstep; 03-07-2002 at 03:27 AM.

nah.. fear OSX =>

c in a
    Last edited by Bsamuels; 03-08-2002 at 02:20 PM.

So, what planet is Linux from?

Usability? Apparently Linux programers still don't have a clue. How hard is it to put the things people use the most in easy to find, LOGICAL places?

Does MS hold the patton for Usability in regards to a computer os ?

The last time I tried Linux I DL'ed Star Office and couldn't figure out how to install it. I asked for help here and elsewhere and all I got was criptic answers that lead to even more questions. Christ, all I wanted to do was get the @#$% thing installed and running but nooooo, it was not to be. I trashed it, went back to windows and won't try it until it becomes a USABLE OS.

Like the horse on Ren and Stimpy used to say :

"NO SIR, DIDN'T LIKE IT"

I just switched ISP providers and am having a heck of a time getting Linux to talk to the new provider. AT&T uses some proprietary software to make the connection and they don't support Linux.

Linux can be kinda cranky sometimes...

That's the joy of it!

I'm trying to get a pcmcia nic/modem for my laptop running Win2k/RH7.2 and just learned that I have to recompile the kernel.

Sounds like a nightmare...but I'm looking forward to it
    How else do you expect to learn anything?

Hmms, He who "came down" on me because I wrote a sentence that can be interpreted as I don't want to learn VBscript and then refers it to be easier than C, Who has spoke of C? I said, in an earlier post, that it could be done with Bash, where does the C come into the picture?

I think linux is superior to windows in the meaning of Stability. And sure Windows is more user friendly, but come on, how much control do you have? NONE, windows has some specs you can change, but if you want to change something a little more different you have to dig yourself down into the registry, and the registry is atleast as hard to learn as the responding files in Linux...
    I guess that you have to be raised with a different system than windows to apprieciete linux. As i, who where raised using an Amiga, and when converting to the x86 platform I almost immediately started using Linux. Well, just because of that, don't think I don't know anything about windows.

I have gone trough 3 years of the swedish gymnasium, majoring in Networks and Computer-technology, using NT4&2000 most of the time in school, under a period of time (6months) I was responsible for one of the schools firewalls (running linux), It crashed once during this time and that was because of another student accidently closed down the eth0 by mistake (he had the root's password, as he was a co-admin).
    The schools main Windows Nt4 Proxy went down atleast 10 times during this period, there's that stability issue again.
    And now i'm planning to be going to the university reading 3 years of Network&System-administration this fall....
    So I do know my way around both Linux and Windows...

Well, i think both Linux And windows is great Os'es, in their own kind of way. I've played some games in Linux without any problems at all. Well, TUX racer roxs

Well, everybody has a different taste, I like the looks of linux and love it's stability...Sure, it lacks the User-friendliness that windows has but that can more then well be compensated by the stability, IF you have the time to learn it..
    Though real hardcore gamers should stay away from Linux...
    Last edited by Bogg; 03-09-2002 at 06:55 AM.
    ----
    Men folket pa sysopt...ar ni verkligen sa pass intresserade av min signatur att ni maste fraga?

hmmmm....seems to be a touchy subject...kinda turned into a pissing contest....

the hardest thing about linux, as i remember from a few years back, was that i had to learn to think, instead of just "pointing and clicking"....the version i was using in 1995 was slackware, and i had it loaded on an old 486...took me a while to get it to work properly......afterwards, it was so smooth and configurable, i loaded and ran it on a cyrix p150 machine...that was in '97...as far as i know the 486 is still running with it...and i know the cyrix is, cause my wife uses it daily.. linux is a good o/s for what it was designed for....and not really that bad, when configured and used for "out of the ordinary" apps. just my opinion
    btw...i have win98 se on my present computer...with a 1g. duron and 512 megs of ram...it does well too...for what its designed for

Originally posted by Jimstep
    I just switched ISP providers and am having a heck of a time getting Linux to talk to the new provider. AT&T uses some proprietary software to make the connection and they don't support Linux.

Is is AT&T dialup or cable?

It's a dialup that uses the AT&T Global Network Dialer. Our support folks at work found a dialer for Linux on the AT&T website. Now my problem is that it works, most of the time, from ROOT, but not from other userids. I tried installing it from the other userid, but it still didn't work. It's a weird one.