Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: LINUX SUCKS!!!!

I'v noticed that alot of people just dont' seem to understand that linux isn't a desktop environemnt, it's a KERNEL!!

Windows has integrated: drivers, UI, window manager, shell, libraries, etc...

Linux is a kernel, once the kernel boots, you can set it to use whatever shell you want, with whatever services you want. You can choose a different X server, with different window managers and panneling systems, sound systems, etc...

When I install something in windows, I feel as though I'm just adding to this big pile of ****. You have no clue what's going on in the background, what it's modifing, and why it just stops working once and a while.

The ONLY reason anybody would want to use windows on the desktop is cauz it has more applications developed for it, that doesn't make it better.

I use linux for my server and as a desk machine. But I also have a windoz machine for games, photo editing and downloading (KaZaa, morpheus, limewire, bearshare...). The Piece 'O **** can't even stay running for 1 night without a crash. I refuse to run XP cauz there is no way in hell i'm installing an OS that needs 2 ****ing gig on space on my machine. That's retarded.

Windows has MANY problems too; security, performance, memory hog, stability, etc... WMP 8 sends info to MS about the media you listen/watch, Outlook is a spawning pool for viruses, apps like winzip could crash the whole OS, it's dificult to clean windows drives, etc... Hell, in linux you can't even get a virus if the user who 'put' the virus on the machine isn't root.

Lets face it, windows is a joke, they just make it look good.

~Paul
    |}~(O)~{|

Then you're dumped into a console (in an emulated terminal). Wow, that was hard. I REALLY need Unix on the frontend now.

Wooow, by my knowing i asked how to do it On a windows machine, not letting another computer do the job for you...
    Hmms, let's say you want to automate some things in windows without learning VB, (or vbscript if you want), then you ssh to another unix machine? Hmms, well, by my knowing you then let the machine on the other side to do it for you, not the machine you use locally, what if the files or the things you wanted to do Must be done on the machine you sits by...
    Well it was just an example...Windows looks good and has a lot of **** inside, Linux (or the whole GNU project), may look terrible but it is full of joy
    ----
    Men folket pa sysopt...ar ni verkligen sa pass intresserade av min signatur att ni maste fraga?

"Linux Sucks"

True That.

Linux, it has all of zero useful programs. Stability? Well thats what they said about the WTC.
    Linux blows, it has zero benefits over windows, and makes life more difficult, but i guess for you few soles who believe using an OS out of the norm makes you technically superior, who am i to say different..

Win2K is One with me, and I am One with Win2K

Hmm...

ngc457:

I was just saying that's what I saw on a T-shirt. And to emphasize: Macs are THE platform of choice for many graphics designers. Just because you prefer MS OS's for your productivity doesn't mean everyone does. I'd love to have a 22" LCD for my PC. (Love to be able to afford it too ) I have used Unix, RH Linux, Windows 2K, and Windows 9x to program in and I still prefer the *nices. For some reason (just personal preference) I like the command line interface - and being able to choose my own filenames and extensions right off the bat. Plus, I don't like all the "features" that are included in Visual Studio (as an example). As far as high-end servers being Windows-based: Last time I checked (a few months ago, so I know the numbers could be slightly off, but not by much) I read an article that said roughly 40% of corporate servers were based on Windows, and about 55% were Unix servers. The other 15% were Linux servers. Windows is almost universally acknowledged as the best PC platform for gaming.

Ranma:

I started using Unix on Solaris because I had to, or I wouldn't pass my classes. I enjoyed the different things you could do from the command line and was intrigued by another option in OS's besides Windows. I agree that security issues are rather overemphasized. The main reason that all of the *nix GUIs are difficult (sucky?) for the end user is that most end users are trained to do everything in Windows first. Sometimes standards are good. But standards should apply to an industry, not only using one company

Heh, Looks like Pikey actually LIKES getting BSODs lol
    Last edited by gfunkmartin; 03-04-2002 at 03:35 PM.

Linux is going back on my box tonite - although it is a completely different setup then when I installed it last time.

Just hope I dont have to fork out for another external Modem

I guess the system just takes time to learn - I used Redhat 7.1 on and off last year, and really have had no regrets.

The only problems that I have had, is trying to get rid of Windoze afterwards - it really hates being uninstalled !

ok here is my 2 cents.

first off how can you tell someone else what OS is right for them?
    isn't an OS a personal Choice?
    Sure i have linux but i don't use it as much as i'd like to i don't ahev a working modem for it. But i can make my server box connect and share it to it. (maybe i'll do that tonight) Out of the windows i have used i like 98 3.1 and 2k. some day i will get around to using XP but the last time i tried to use it i couldn't get it to install (upgrade from 2k) then i got it to work and it would explorer error just sitting there on the desktop man that pissed me off. anyway enough about me.

Still i want to know how YOU can say one OS is better then another OS? Sure maybe one is better for you but maybe not for him, or me. So don't rant on and on and on about how one sucks and the other rocks. Beacuse there will allways be someone out there who thinks the other way, takes the time to learn how to use it properly. Beacuse you don't like it dosn't make it that way. who died and made you GOD? yes I think i'm ranting now but its about you people that think your the best and everyone else is wrong, well guess what your not the best and everyone else is not wrong. O man i'm getting upset just writing this i really hate when people do this.

Again leave OS choices To a personal choice.
    PLEASE.

Oh i forgot to add this but have you ever seen 2 people fight over which dist. of linux is better?
    it's fun to watch.

linux sucks "yeah right"

You windows Newbee...... ! : (
    They come here and say linux sucks just to justified the fack that they suck with computers or used linux for 10 minutes !

Linux "slackware" as been the MOST reliable OS i have used so far
    and for the none linux guru YES you can run all windows games into linux !!!! http://winehq.com "thats right it works"

I can run all the pathetic windoze apps into my ROX linux BOX
    So linux sucks han i dont think so.....

"LOL / ROFL" Make my laught

Microsoft Rules
    TRU!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been running an HP pavillion with windows 98 for nearly 170 days straight... it provides internet and file sharing throughout my house... many of computers have connected to it and yet it has not crashed... SUCK THAT LINUX!!!!

Ive used linux for about 4 yrs and I still prefer windows over it...Linux pertty much well sucks... I can do the same stuff on Windows that I do on Linux in about 50% less time... RED HAT BLOWS... `nuff said... the only thing I used Linux for was a firewall, and now that I got XP ,F LINUX!!!!!

I knew this thread would hit the sore spot, everyone has there own opinions, it is fun to see how other people look a things, keep it up.

BUMP

P.S. Hey BobOmega, settle down it just opinions well all have them, right.

Eric

Originally posted by zeirath
    Ive used linux for about 4 yrs and I still prefer windows over it...Linux pertty much well sucks... I can do the same stuff on Windows that I do on Linux in about 50% less time... RED HAT BLOWS... `nuff said... the only thing I used Linux for was a firewall, and now that I got XP ,F LINUX!!!!!

Yeeeah, then why have you used it for 4 years?
    ----
    Men folket pa sysopt...ar ni verkligen sa pass intresserade av min signatur att ni maste fraga?

because it is one of the servers I maintain...