Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is the fastest CPU speed out at the moment?

What is the fastest CPU speed out at the moment?

Hey, all.
    I was curious: where can I find proof of the fastest CPU out on the market at the moment? The fastest I have seen in mags is 2GHz, but I am Sure there is faster. If U have proof, even better!
    (the reason I want proof is this guy at my TAFE reckons there is 3.5Ghz out, but I disbelieve him...)
    ---=={VIRJO}==---

the 3.6GHz P4 Northwood i believe...
    you gotta overclock it to get that speed. if you want non-overclocked, the fastest is the AthlonXP 2000+ (i think)

Depends >
    > 1 if you are asking about RAW clock cycles
    > 2. or which can do more work in the clock cycle

RAW clock cycles does not mean you are FASTER in getting a job done

The INTEl P4 cpu has been OC'd using liquid nitrogen to 3.5+ Ghz
    >>BUT

The Intel 2.2Ghz is generally pretty much even with the AMD 2000+ which runs at about 1.567 Ghz or maybe 1.6 Ghz its just that the AMD gets more done in a clock cycle. If I remeber right it has something to do with the way the Intel Cpu does a look ahead for data, or it interprets what instructions may be needed next.

An example >MY AMD is a 1.4Ghz 266Mhz FSB Oc'd at 1.575Ghz gets a PR rating of 2105+, 4421Mips, 2159 MFlops
    An Intel P4 at 1.6Ghz >3750 Mips,1848 MFlops so the AMD is faster at getting work done than a FASTER(in RAW clock cycles) Intel
    MaxC

The P4 2.2ghz has the highest factory(stock) clock speed(mhz) of any CPU out right now. The AthlonXP 2000+(1.66ghz) is arguably the fastest performing(best performance) production CPU out right now.

Tom's Hardware has a P4 overclocked to 3.1ghz and an AthlonXP to a 2300+(something like 1.9ghz).

Intel P4 2.2Ghz is the highest clock speed thats retailing right now. Overclocked processors reach 3.0Ghz+
    Just remember clock speed isn't everything, right now the 2.2Ghz P4 is the fastest processor on the market, but a 1600Mhz AMD processor isn't far behind it in speed.

I believe IBM just launched it's new microchip that is rated at 110GHz. Until Conexant (sp) releases their 200Ghz, I believe IBM has both Intel and AMD resting on it's feet in terms of fastest cpu.

Gone
    Originally posted by delhi
    I believe IBM just launched it's new microchip that is rated at 110GHz. Until Conexant (sp) releases their 200Ghz, I believe IBM has both Intel and AMD resting on it's feet in terms of fastest cpu.
    That is very interesting-but-I think no I know he ment consumer chips not special puprpose chips for use with NASA and factory's that can blow a mill. on a cpu!To produce speed at a low cost is the ultimate goal for any consumer cpu.Intel and amd don't have to compete with that tech as no one would by it!

keep in mind that the AMD cost LITERALY half of what the P4 Northwood2.2 costs

where can i buy one of these liquid helium cooled IBM processors?

I see a lot of references to Tom's Hardware in these forums. If you read Tom's hardware, it says that the P4 isn't being fully utilized by today's applications/hardware. And that it'll beat the XP with RDRam. But anyway just more support for Intel's dedication to future technolgies.

Fastest Retail Chip P4 Northwood 2.2 Ghz
    Fastest Performance P4 Northwood 2.2 Ghz
    Max Speed O.C P4 Northwood 2.2 Ghz @ 4Ghz (Here at Sysopt Overclockers Database)
    Fastest if Price and Performance ratio considered AMD AthlonXP 2000+

I feel the coming of an AMD vs Intel Thread
    Nothing in life is as certain as death, but death is not a wall but a doorway to a new adventure

Aren't we forgetting those Apple G5 cpus?

we have to many of those already

I prefer Intel. I'm not trying to start another pointless IntelvAMD thread. Just answering IMO the answer to the question. Everyone has a choice and an opinion. In my opinion the P4 2.2Ghz is faster than the Athlon XP 2000+ but it depends on a lot of stuff. Just like the Chevy vs Ford rivalry. Each has their good and bad points.

T

let me sum up a bit:
    -AMD is just a bit slower than P4
    -AMD literaly costs half as much
    -AMD is just as reliable
    -AMD is not as overclockable as the P4 because it has big circuitry
    -don't buy P4 thinking you will overclock it to 4ghz, i seriously doubt that you have some spare liquid nitrogen or liquid helium just laying around.
    -AMD has been socket A for a long time and i think the hammer is supposed to be socket A also..... it means that you don't have to upgrade mobos as much but you do need to upgrade mobo to use the hammer since it is such a big change from the old (not released yet)
    -the AMD thoroughbread is coming out, it has smaller circuitry than the XP so it will run cooler while at the same speed and has the capability to be overclocked a bit more, but as i said you don't have liquid nitrogen so forget that.