Thread: WD HARDRIVE PROBLEM

WD HARDRIVE PROBLEM

Ok I have a new wd 7400 rpm 30gb harddrive. about 5% of the time when I install a game it makes this odd grinding and clicking noises (note on large transfers it does this 500mb or so). Some times it evens gives me a blue screen! Saying can't read from drive D: . Now if have my hard drive and the cd rom on the same ide cable would this cause a problem.
    *note* This is my 2nd hard drive.

Heres my set up
    Prim Master 10gb hard drive
    Prim Slave cdrw
    Sec master 30gb wd (problem drive)
    Sec Slave 52x cdrom
    Chris Stafford

Go to western digitals sight and download lifeguard, it's their utility program. It's usually pretty good at diagnosing a drive. I used it with a old 10gig I had, it found the problem and I was able to get it working long enough to save the data. RMA'd it and got it back within a few weeks.

Good luck!!

I had problems when I had my CDROM and DVD drive on separate cables. When I combined them on the same cable, my BSOD problems went away.

Have you tried putting the two hard drives on the same cable?

I "was" a big fan of WD drives and in time from/about 1998-2000 i buy about 8 drives and not from same place and all died in same time of 6 months , had them fixed but lost data=$ (i have office), and it's not just with me i found this on many boards, the worst drives came out in the time most starting in late 1997, i don't know they are now but wont buy any more.

All 3 w.d drives from 1993 to 1996 still work with no problems, they are fast drives but die, WD is best when you send them a bad drive, get new one in a week or less! i sent a 8gig with 512k got a new one with 2mb.

PS: ill take seagate over them, may be slower but don't die
    Last edited by PimpG420; 02-25-2002 at 01:30 AM.

As Pietro says- download 'Data Lifeguard" from the WD site-if it's bad you'll get an error code. I usualy write it on the outside of the box I'm using to RMA it in, and also on the HDD. I've RMA'ed a lot of these which is 1 reason I use Maxtor for my personal machines, but WD does have a very good response time for bad drives under warranty. In fact I have even gotten better drives back than what I have returned in some cases.