Thread: Athlon XP and MP

Athlon XP and MP

What is difference b/w Athlon XP and MP. In fact, what is MP.

The AMD Athlon™ XP processor with QuantiSpeed™ architecture powers desktops with the next generation in computing platforms, delivering extra performance for cutting-edge applications and an extraordinary computing experience. The AMD Athlon XP process is designed to meet the computation-intensive requirements of cutting-edge software applications running on high-performance desktop systems.
    The AMD Athlon™ MP processor offers unsurpassed multiprocessing capability to power 1- and 2-way server and workstation platforms, especially for users in the commercial and enterprise arenas. The AMD Athlon MP processor offers full-featured logic implementation to support smarter multiprocessing, based on AMD Smart MP technology.
    Both processors are based on same core, the "Palomino". But Athlon MP is supposed to work better in SMP configurations (Simmetric Multi Processing). And indeed, I've seen improvements up to 10% vs. AthlonXP in some applications.

ND, what would u buy if u had the choice between the 2?

As far as I know the MP is supposed to be used
    in Dual Processor Motherboards.

Unless you have specific requirements and know what you're doing, don't bother.

And seeing as you need to ask, I assume you don't need a dual processing system.

Just go for the XP dude, it's a quality processor and it's the cheaper alternative anyway

Westside

If I had to build SMP machine, then I'd be using MP processors. In fact, last time I built server I set it up with pair of T-Bird 1.2GHz and later switched to Athlon MPs.

As for desktop/single processor - Athlon XP would be my choice, there is no point in paying about $30 more for Athlon MP model, it would perform the same.

Ultimate Member
    Last time I checked, XP's can't do SMP anymore.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but only the 1st few Xp's still had SMP enabled, but that was over with pretty quickly.

Ultima

Yep, I tried to play a "smart ***" and put a pair of Athlon XP 1700+ on Tyan Thunder and it didn't work, either it wasn't booting at all or was just seeing one processor. With Athlon MP everything worked fine. Don't know about first releases of Athlon XP, but you probably right here, heard same things ...