Thread: upgrading to win 2000 for overclocking stability

upgrading to win 2000 for overclocking stability

Hi. Is it a good idea to upgrade to Win 2000 from win 98 se to help out stability issues with overclocking. I'm aware of some games not being compatible, but I hear thats predominantly with older games and most newer games are supported. Is this true? Also how much can I improve stability in Win 98 by doing a clean install? thanks for the help.

Re: upgrading to win 2000 for overclocking stability

Originally posted by darbykidd
    Hi. Is it a good idea to upgrade to Win 2000 from win 98 se to help out stability issues with overclocking. I'm aware of some games not being compatible, but I hear thats predominantly with older games and most newer games are supported. Is this true? Also how much can I improve stability in Win 98 by doing a clean install? thanks for the help.
    Dont bother with win2000, skip right over to winxp. It is very stable and has a nice gui and all my games/progs work with it...
    To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've
    wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went
    to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.

Ok thanks. I've heard people say that it is pretty buggy now though. But it is cheaper I guess. Maybe thats the way to go anyways.

definetly go for win xp. it is very stable and most programs do work with the updates installed.

Originally posted by darbykidd
    Ok thanks. I've heard people say that it is pretty buggy now though. But it is cheaper I guess. Maybe thats the way to go anyways.
    I have not in the 3 or 4 months I have had xp had a single error message and have probably had less than 10 crashes, though, those were mainly due to too much OCing
    To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've
    wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went
    to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.

Ok so does that mean a more stable OS doesn't necessarily mean any more stability overclocking?

Yep, it is the hardware that will cause the computer to fall over, but if it is somthing like clocked memory losing some non-critical (ie not windows) data becase of oveheating or something, windows 2000 (or XP) is more likely to recover than 98 as it is built in a far more grown up kinda way, and is not as effected by badley behaved programs as the 9X series.
    Bigparsnip.

Well,

From a little personal expeircance.
    With win 98. I could not even oc the fsb to 140 and have it be stable. 1.33@1.4.

Went to Xp pro. It runs stable as ever with a 140FSB
    Havent froze since install about 14 days ago.

havent had time to oc more.
    Nothing in life is as certain as death, but death is not a wall but a doorway to a new adventure

Just remebered one more thing, that might be kinda relevent to gibsinep's post above, 2000 and XP both cut back the processor when it is not being used at 100%, so under lighter loads it will use less power and create less heat makeing it more stable for basic computing. Windows 98 did not do this, but there are programes you can get to do it for you under 98.
    Bigparsnip.

Ok thanks for the input guys. Is it better to upgrade to xp or 2000, or do a clean installation? How much good would a clean installation of win 98 SE do also? Thanks

win2000 will not help for overclocking, but win2k will beat the pants off Win98 in terms of OS stability...

Win XP is good from what I've seen but I would still go with Win2k
    Celeron 700@850
    3dfx Voodoo 3 3000 166@185
    256mb ram
    30gig + 13.5gig
    MSI ProMaster 266