Thread: Argh! Random crashes abound!

Argh! Random crashes abound!

I just got a new TNT2 card from Pine Technologies. Now, when I try to run any game in 3D mode (Half-Life in D3D, SWAT in OpenGL, etc) it'll run for about three to nine seconds, then tank. When I run some 2D games, such as Fallout: Tactics, or Civilization 3, it'll run a good deal longer, maybe 10-25 minutes, then it bombs too.

I've got a 650MHz AMD Duron, so that's not the problem. I'm pretty sure it's heat, but unfortunately, my father doesn't believe me (he's a techie-type too, since about 1990, so he thinks he knows) and he won't let me mess with the machine. It's a Soyo motherboard with a VIA chipset by the way, with 128MB SDRAM, Windows 98SE, and the aforementioned messed-up-TNT2.

Anyone know where I could find underclocking info, so I could (probably futilely) attempt to stave off insanity long enough to play a game of Civ 3?

well...if you have an alternative video card to try it out with, that would be a start....if it works fine with alternative card...then you'll know its your tnt2 card.

just a thought
    good luck

I'd try another drivers. First try v6.50, as it works well with TNT/2 chipsets, then v12.90, and v22.80 if everything works fine.

Heat can be the issue, but ... I've already had bad experience with Pine videocards, both TNT2 and GeForce2 MX200/400. On MX cards they were using memory out of specs, 7ns chips @183MHz, for example. So you might try videocard from another manufacturer, more reliable.

Thanks, ND. I'll grab the old 6.50 drivers right now.

I don't have another card available to stick in that's comparable. However, I haven't changed anything since I slapped the TNT2 in (old card was a half-dead RAGE IIC) and it started then, hence my thought "I got a dead card."

Thanks for the replies there, guys. I'm gonna try to get my dad to stick the old IIC in - at least I can run a freaking game then, hehe...Half-Life + Software Mode = EEW. I did manage to eke another 5-10 minutes out of the card before a hardlock, though, by underclocking it as low as it'll go, so I'm guessing it's still heat.

Okay, update...6.50 tankified my system. Twice. I quickly threw the detonator3 drivers back on, as I don't like my system being stuck on 256 colors...now I really think it's a heat problem.

Is this an AGP card? If so, have you loaded the motherboard AGP drivers? Have you enabled all things AGP in BIOS?

Is this a PCI card? If so, have you tried a different slot?

I seriously doubt that it's heat related. That older card shouldn't run that hot anyway.

What version of DirectX are you running? Maybe updating the DX will help.

Just some thoughts.
    This area reserved for highly intelligent observations.

...I'm using DX8.0a. But about the card type...I'll open it up in a while and see, because I just had a brain **** and can't remember. Blargh.