Thread: Cpu Fan

Hybrid View

Cpu Fan

hi guys,
    i want overclock my cpu, and want to get a nice cooler for it.
    the cooler is http://www.vantec.com.tw/wc-6040.html.

do any of u have any experiences with this cooler?
    do u have any sites i might find reviews?

thanks for any help.

I've never heared of that particular Vantec. That's not to say it's not good. I searched a little bit for you but I came up with zilch. To bad you don't mention your processor. I have a 1.4ghz AMD T-Bird and I just recently bought a Millenium Glaciator 2. It ran me $33, but it's copper, cools very good and is QUIET, which is very important in my house. I used to run a YS-Tech 40cfm on my old stock heatsink, and let me tell you, no cooling and the constant blowdryer sound. Goes to show that putting a high-powered fan on an inferior heatsink is not the way to go. Then I ran a Thermaltake Dragon Orb 3, which cooled soso, but was also pretty loud. I mean really, the constant drone gets on your nerves after awhile. I'd recommend the Millenium Glaciator 2 to anyone anytime, and I'm not getting paid to say that. If you indeed have an AMD, check this out:http://millennium-thermal.com/index.html

thanks x51out, but can any one else help me? i dont want to waste my money on something if it is a waste of time.

Re: Cpu Fan

Originally posted by rhys
    hi guys,
    i want overclock my cpu, and want to get a nice cooler for it.
    the cooler is http://www.vantec.com.tw/wc-6040.html.

do any of u have any experiences with this cooler?
    do u have any sites i might find reviews?

thanks for any help.
    That link doesn't work anymore. If you want the best cooling, look into a water cooled system. I've been watching the Koolance cases.

rhys doesn't give us any processor info, and no o.c. plan either. You can o.c. a processor without any special cooling, but not very far. Is rhys calling the Millenium Glaciator 2 a waste of time??? Nah, can't be. That would be ludicrous.

I and several of my mates use the zalman flower cooler on our TBird 1.4's (imagine the lan games we have - 7 1.4's and mines the best ).
    It is silent, and cools better than my globalwin WBK38 did.
    Another mate used a ThermalTake Volcano 7, it didn't fit on his TBird board, but it was far quieter.

(I'll spell stuff right one day )

Stefan
    Stefan

Dang, yeah I saw those Zalman Flower Cooler in a review (favorable) and I must say I thought that was quite the innovative idea. I might have tried one, but I had already bought the Glaciator2. You know, many friends of mine complain about lock-ups and the first thing I do when I help them is to look at the spot they put the machine for ventilation and I'll open it up and blast all the DUST out... disgusting. Pretty much everybody under-estimates the role HEAT plays in performance. They've got this thing shoved in some niche, it gets NO air but has been sucking in all the ficken dust for , what... YEARS! No lie, I even found some cobweb type structure in one. Anyway, back to the topic. I loved the idea of the fan-less heatsink. And I even contemplated pouring a mold of heatsink out of sterling silver (friends of the family are jewelers and somehow silver seems to be kinda cheap here in Tucson). I wonder if rhys is even following this thread still. I'd tell him/her: no fixation on just one heatsink. There are many pure AWESOME heatsinks on the market.

i am here, and thanks for all ya help

by the way, i have a Socket 478 Intel 1.6 gig CPU and a ASUS P4T-E m/board.
    do u have any recommendations for it because i dont know what to look for in a cooler?
    Last edited by rhys; 02-16-2002 at 08:53 PM.

Originally posted by rhys
    i am here, and thanks for all ya help

by the way, i have a Socket 478 Intel 1.6 gig CPU and a ASUS P4T-E m/board.
    do u have any recommendations for it because i dont know what to look for in a cooler?
    Well, the two key things to look for is cfm (cubic feet per minute) and dBa (which is how loud it is going to be). Take for example the thermalright sk6 which is popular with OCers. It is rated at 48dba, which is loud and 38cfm, which is quite good as well. This is a great HSF for OCing so try to pick one with similar specs. You should also be getting one with a 6000+ fan.
    To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've
    wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went
    to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.

Although... the trend seems to be moving away from brute-force cfm on mediocre heatsink design, towards more innovative design structure with lower rpm fans that can achieve good, and even outstanding, results. Pentiums don't really run that hot, although naturally you'll be upping the voltage, so maybe you would see a jump in temp. There is a site that has .wav files so you can hear what alot of these fans sounds like, but I'm sorry I forgot the address. I couldn't even begin to point you towards a cooler for pentium as I have seen the AMD-Light. Just start at maybe overclockercafe. But I'll tell ya one thing: if you are like me, you are going to eventually get stressed out about a loud fan on a heatsink. That blowdryer sound just grates on the nerves.

Hi just in case noise is an isue check out this site.
    http://www.quietpc.com./

lol,thanks guys.

Dang BJUK, that's one interesting site, thanx. One can actually put together the stealth-computer... which is actually worth much more than most people imagine (except our fellow SysOpt'ers who know good technology when they see it).