Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 40GB-7200RPM, 60GB 5400RPM, or 60GB 7200RPM

40GB-7200RPM, 60GB 5400RPM, or 60GB 7200RPM

Ok i have come across 3 choices for my new hard drive and i'm need to ask a couple of questions. But first here's the drives i'd like to get

Seagate UATA 100, 40gb 7200RPM $77
    Seagate UATA 100, 60GB 5400RPM $96
    Seagate UATA 100, 60GB 7200RPM $107

First off I know 5400 is slower but is it worth the extra for the 7200? I make very little money(i'm 15) so it takes me about 3 weeks to save up enough for the price difference between the 7200 40gb and the 5400 60gb. And then another 2 for the 7200 gb. So is it worth the extra wait cause i need hd space pretty soon(i've got a 4gb and i've got only 500mb left).

Second is my choice with going Seagate a good one, i like them cause my current drive is almost 4 years old and it has absolutly no errors on the disk . I'm just out of space. Or should i go with Maxtor, WD, or IBM(for the 60gb 7200RPM, cause its cheaper).

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by Omega2k1; 02-08-2002 at 08:36 PM.

seagate is okay brand i guess (heard better things about there scsi drives) make sure if you go IBM get the 60gxp NOT the 75gxp. it seem you have been ok with your 4 gig so even 40 would be large and you sohuld be fine with it. Question is will you be kicking yourself down the line that you didnt pay the extra 30 for that extra 20 gig?
    Joe

i don't know. i'm thinking i've been good with 4gb since about 1/2 a year ago, so i'm figuring 10x that will be fine.

Omega, where do you work? Nevermind if it's Burger King, but if you work for a retail store that sells computer stuff, you can get an "insider" discount. Also, keep an eye on sales, trends, and rebates. After you purchase your drive, watch the prices, too. If you find it elsewhere cheaper, or it goes on sale, most retailers will refund the difference.
    Be real careful at computer shows, though. You REALLY should know exactly what you want (and also how to identify an original part) at some shows.

Very important, too, is to purchase only what you need. If you make a purchase and it is what you wanted, there is no need to kick yourself later when things change. The drive you purchased will STILL be doing the exact thing that you purchased it for. Capacities and costs will change, it's a fact of life. But you can only do so much to get the absolute best deal.
    ONE MORE TIP: Never purchase from a questionable dealer, even if you can save a few bucks. The difference in customer service before and after the sale will more than make up the difference.

Good luck!

I don't work. I'm 15. So it takes me a while to save up money .

Get a job! I managed to put together a very decent system while *gulp* delivering newspapers! Today I'm buying a Geforce3 Ti200.

Yeah i have a nice system besides my hd and video card.
    Athlon XP 1600
    ECS K7S5A
    Cyberdrive 16x12x10x
    256mb Samsung PC133 Ram
    4gb Seagate HD(bottleneck)
    TNT2 M64 PCI(bottleneck)

If it wasn't for those to i'll have a sweet system.
    I'm going to get a new hard drive and then in about another 6 months i'll see how much the GF 3's have gone down and maybe pick up one.

Holy cow!!! I wouldn't be able to live with a 4GB HD. I could only be able to fit two games on it. Right now I am having truoble keeping room on my 16 GB hard drive. Hopefully one day I will be able to get an 80 gig HD or mabey even a 100gig HD. Man I can't wait until I turn 15. (Only one more year, YEAH!!) I am going to find a job and work my **** off to get want I want. I will have a girlfriend but if we go out she is going to pay for her meal. She can live with it I need money. I'm in debt about $200 that I owe my step dad and the only money I get is wants left of my lunch money. (Mabye about a quater or two)

And don't say go do a paper rout because I live in the countrys. There is only 11 houses in my community and it takes about 5 minutes too ride to the nearest house on my bike.

And don't say that I live in San Antonio, TX there is a population of about 1 million. Yes I live in San Antonio. The undeveloped part of San Antonio. Where there is actually trees and VERY few houses.
    Last edited by Bizkitkid2001; 02-10-2002 at 02:46 AM.

I just bought a Maxtor 60gb 7200 and am very pleased with it.
    I also got a 20gb seagate which is good too.

SAVE UP FOR THE 60GB 72000!!!!!!!

You'll feel great when it firsts boots. Go for Maxtor, its cheaper.
    Life is a bowl of cherries

You'll feel great but be careful. It depends if you want reliability. 7200rpm's get twice the amount of returns (people returning them to stores) as the 5400's. They just wear out faster. If you don't need the speed don't bother... cause it aint worth it. I'd go for the 60gb 5400rpm.

I recently bought a 40gb 5400 and I didn't have a recent enough BIOS to support it. I reckon it sounds like you'd be ok. Your mobo sounds pretty recent, just thought I'd give you a headsup.

good luck

I agree with ironik311, 7200rpm drives already require some form of cooling, be it a case fan that blows in its general direction or a real HDD fan occupying the slot above your harddrive. I have a Samsung 60gb/5400rpm, and although the response is "slower", it is nothing you'd notice without a benchmarking utility (IMO). If I were you, I'd try to go less money on HDD and more on your video card, i.e. between the 3 drives, the one that costs $77 and make sure it stays cool (because it is a hot running 7200rpm). Have you looked into buying a harddrive at Costco? They usually sell Maxtor, but their return policy is phenomenal (no questions asked). Good luck, and I feel for you, hey, I'm 38 with a full-time job and I have no money either... but my wife does, there's something wrong with this picture.

I say go for biger sizes, even if u think its too much. When I got my old comp with a 6.4GB i never thought i'd have a 10gig game directory. Also, every time a new os comes out i like to use partition magic and run two OS's until i make a full transition to the newer one. For this the extra space helps a lot. Currently im reaching the limit of a 40gig drive (only had the comp for 1.5years).

If you do go with a 5400rpm drive, make sure you load up on as much RAM as possible, and you may not notice much of a speed decrease under normal situations.

Some programs are exceptions, though. Photoshop, for example, would run better using TWO slow hard drives, than one fast one. It likes to use two or more scratch drives for temporary storage, but programs like this are rarely used to their fullest extent.

I have a 7200rpm drive, and use a temperature monitoring program. It usually stays at about 95 degrees (fehrenheit), but when defragmenting, or using a demanding app, it goes up to 120 (approx.) Anyone know what's safe?

Hey, dmoltrup. Samsung has specs out, and I assume these are applicable for most HDDs. Operational temp: max. 55 C (Non-operational temp: max. 70 C)

I sure as heck hope not!! My idling HDD temperature RIGHT NOW is 105! I have S.M.A.R.T. monitoring on, and it's never warned me about temps... I'll have to contact Maxtor tech support and ask.