Thread: SB Live playback lockup

SB Live playback lockup

I have a Tyan KT-A S2390B M/B, with VIA Apollo KT-133A chipset, 256MB SDRAM, Teac CDRW, Creative DVD, 30GB West.Dig. HD, SB Live Platinum, ATI Radeon VE Dual Display.

My recurring and extremely annoying problem is that anytime I am playing some sort of music or video clip with audio, the sound with lock on to a tone and freeze the computer. I have very few background programs running,. I used to think it was having Norton Anti-Virus and Utilities running in the background, but I have removed those and Windows still freezes. The other thing about this lock up problem is, it occurs at different times during music playback, sometimes I have sat and listened to music for hours and hours and then it locks up, or it will have within seconds of the first thing that plays.

I have been in contact with Creative since Sept, 2001, and they have not been helpful. Many times they do not even answer my questions. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the sound and video drivers numerous times. Tech Support did mention that there was a conflict with SB drivers and ATI Multimedia center. I have updated the SB and ATI drivers numerous times. I have reinstalled windows over itself numerous times. doing a wipe and clean install is out of the question.

Any ideas as to if this is some kind of video and sound conflict. the SB Live card is on it's own IRQ, as suggested by the Tech Support. However I read somewhere in this forum that the ATI card should also be on it's own IRQ, which is entirely impossible, in these days of Windows, and IRQ sharing, there is no way I can have both of those card on their own IRQ. It took too much fussing to get the sound card alone on an IRQ.

Is anyone aware if there are conflicts with SB Live and ATI Radeon VE? Should I just get a new dual display card? (maybe a Matrox?)

I have sort of a similair problem. I have SB Live also, a Creative CDRW 8432, and a Afreey 56x cdrom. When I put a music cd into the Creative CDRW I can play a music cd all I want. But if I put a music cd into the Afreey cdrom, the computer completely freezes, have to do a hard reboot. Data cd's (etc. games, programs) I have no problem with.

I have yet to figure this out. When I just had the Afreey cd-rom in my computer I could play music cds just fine, but then I put in the CDRW in last June, then the problem started. I changed mobos, went from win98 to winME, still have the problem.

Your the only person I've heard of having almost the same problem. It could be the sbLive then. I plan on getting another cd-rom in the near future just to make sure it isn't the cdrom.

Oh, by the way I don't have a ATI, but had a voodoo5500, and now have a GF3ti500. So your problem may be totally different from mine, but I thought they sounded the same.

Yeah, it doesnt matter which drive I use, the DVD or CDRW, it happens with CD Audio, MP3, Video with Audio. So I'm using any media, from any storage device with the lock up result.

It is strange your having problems with mp3 playback too. Is it though all playback programs like Musicmatch, Window Media Player, Winamp, etc.?

Yea, seems like you have a more serious problem than I do, I don't have any problems with mp3 or video playback.

It locks up on anything, Winamp, Windows Media,
    Quicktime (if there is audio), Sound Forge, ACID Pro, a couple times it has locked on the sound for IM message received. What makes this hard for me to diagnose is the time, a lot of times it will play for hours and hours before it locks. So when the tech support tells me to do something and see if it fixed it, I takes days for me to figure out if the change fixed, and so far nothing they have suggested helps.

So I'm still having this lock up problem? Anybody had this problem, or know of any answers for me? It just locked up again when I received an IM and the sound played for IM receive. Pretty lame if you ask me, it's a 1 second sound.

Help????