Thread: duron seen as athlon

Hybrid View

duron seen as athlon

hi everyone, i have a duron 1ghz and except for the L1 andL2 caches everything leads me to think it's a athlon..

1. bios post says athlon

2. 2 different AMD i.d programs say athlon

3. sisoft sandra says athlon

a duron 800 on the same motherboard shows as a duron, so it has to be something with my chip.. anyone ever see anything like this?

i have yet to i.d it with my eyes, the mobo and cpu were together when i got the mobo, and i'm trying not to.. but if i cant get a definitive answer it's going to drive me to do it

The only real difference between the Duron and the Athlon is the amount of L2 cache. The Duron has 64K and Athlon has 256K. The Duron also supports the SSE instruction set.

Take a look at the tests for the reported L2 cache. That will tell you. Most likely your computer is right.

Maybe it got sent out of the factory wiht the wrong CPUID string. Kinda like when you buy a product that says blue on the box, and its green inside, they just put it through the wrong line.

i think i figured it out, my board(shuttle ak12a) may not officially support a duron 1000, so it is read as a athlon.. thanks for your input though rhino302, and dmoltrup. here is what i found at shuttles website

Form Factor
    ATX

Processor
    Socket A
    Supports AMD Athlon CPU up to 1.8G+
    Supports AMD Duron CPU up to 950MHz+

So, you have a Morgan core Duron ... same core as the AthlonXP! just underclocked ... and has had a lot of L2 cache chopped off! put the fsb up to 133 and you should have a AthlonXP 1500+ ... just with less L2 cache.

Not too bad!

Good luck! Make sure that you have really good cooling ... and you should be able to get some serious speed out of you Duron.
    Every man that is pure of heart, and says his prayers by night.
    May become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms, and the moon is clear and bright.

~Wyre

cool, unfortunately my board is pretty cheap. it's an auto configure with a jumper for 100/133 and when i try the 133 it wont post.. i figured i had to get a 1.2 g athlon before i would catch 133 fsb.. now i dont know

Sometimes it works ... most times it doesn't. Unlock it and change the multiplier to a lower setting ... and then try for a 133 bus ... If it will post at 1GHz w/ 133 fsb ... that would be better than 1.2GHz w/ 120 bus.
    Every man that is pure of heart, and says his prayers by night.
    May become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms, and the moon is clear and bright.

~Wyre

And the processor still runs fine? Interesting. If you run Sandra, and run the multi-media benches, does Sandra report the Floating point SSE scores, or does it show 3dNow?

If you run Sandra, and run the multi-media benches, does Sandra report the Floating point SSE scores, or does it show 3dNow?
    integer MMX enh 5786 it/s

floating point 3dnow enh 6670 it/s

i've been toying with the idea of trying to unlock it. have to read up a little more though, i'm still leary of cracking the core on the thing removing and installing the heat sink, let alone cutting bridges.

I know this thread is a bit old, but I wanted to mention that I had the same issue. When I first booted up after putting a Morgan Duron 1GHz onto an Asus A7V133 (Award Bios 1.05.) mobo, POST recognized it as an Athlon 1GHz cpu. After I flashed the bios with version 1007, POST properly recognized the cpu as a Duron. Be sure to check your motherboard manufacturer's website from time to time to see if they've released any new bios versions.