Thread: Asus Probe is wrong?

Gone

Asus Probe is wrong?

I get 2 dif. readings for my cpu temp.The asus probe will say 51c at idle.If I reboot and enter the bios the hardware sensor says it is only at 31c.The mobo temps. are the same in bios and asus probe.Now I ran stress test 10 times in a row then ran sisoft and after that 3dmark-2001se.Not a single error!At full load with virus scan or stress test the cpu hits 61c.If I reboot right away and enter bios it says it is 41c.I check sisoft and it says the same as bios!I o'clock to 1650 and the temp went to 68c-full load 51c at idle.The bios says 48.5 at full(reboot quickly) and 31c at idle.I won't to o'clock to 1650(it runs stable) but I am not sure of these mixed readings.I think the probe is messing up whatta ya think?Comments or suggestions?Peace!
    Here is the sis--------------
    Asus P4t-e !850 socket 478(Williamette & Northwood)
    Stock heatsink & fan
    P4 1.5 gig-1.75v
    Thermal pad(ordered Artic Silver3 today!)
    pc800 syncMax non-ecc. 256mb rdram
    SoundBlaster Live MP3+ 5.1
    U.S. Robotics ext. 56k x2 modem
    VisionTek G3 (original)
    Hydrolic full ATX and extended-case with 420watt P4 PSU
    19" CTX monitor
    Standerd Keyboard and mouse
    Win98(original)

I'm assuming that the ASUS monitor is basically the same as the VIA monitor. In that case, mine's the same way. My VIA monitor reports 58c under full load, but Sandra says 39c. I thought that was a big difference. Looked up a little info and the Sandra is a lot more accurate, usually within a couple degrees. I would trust Sandra and the BIOS temp readings. Seems to me like the software that comes with most motherboards is a little buggy. Not sure what good temps are for a P4 (I use an Athlon), but if your ASUS monitor were correct and your temp really was 61c it would probably lock up, I know mine would.
    Anyway, maybe someone else can give you a better idea as to why they read differently. I just wanted to post my experience.

i GUARANTEE that ASUS PC Probe is wrong. I have used it with my new pc and then tryed several other temperature monitors and every one of them was saying the same thing except PC Probe.

Sounds like we should boycott the Asus probe to keep them from making something that doesn't work. There is nothing worse than trying to make decisions from bad data.

Gone
    Thanks for the replies.Atleast I know it is asus probe and not the system.As for the probe program I wrote them 2 months ago adressing this prob. and they never responded.It seems that it must be a known prob.Being that Asus prides themselves in quality stabilty and overclocking I would think the temp. program would be important.They made the sensor wrork correctly to only have the software screw it up.Whats the point in that.Yeah-I would have to say that is the first and probably only thing I will hold against them,well that and not answering my e-mail!
    Well now I know I can continue o'clocking her.But I need something to watch the temp. other than in the bios,something with a alarm too would be nice.

Gone

Which temp. prog's?

rhys-what other temp. progs. worked correctly with Asus board particulary the P4T-E.I would really like to use one-That works that is.Thanx for the help and any more info. would be appreciated.

Gone
    Originally posted by Jimstep
    Sounds like we should boycott the Asus probe to keep them from making something that doesn't work. There is nothing worse than trying to make decisions from bad data.
    I hear ya!It is sooo dumb to release a temp. prog. that works incorrectly with the main board it came with.The calibration is what seems to be off.And only for the cpu temp.I don't think it is anymore than that,so why wouldn't a patch fix it?Would it be that hard to revise it?I found a update and it only made it read higher than the original.Now that really made me-well lets just say Asus Probe isn't something I say in a nice tone any longer.

And it totally complicated my whole overclocking experience. But then I order ArticSilver3 as aresult of this whole thing so I still walked away with a temp. improvement.That and I just did my first case mod.Added a plexiglass window to the whole side(it isn't a hack job either)of my full ATX case.Put a blow hole right across from the G3.And made a side scoop for the P4 HSF that is bringing fresh air right into the fan!1 fan behind the cpu at back of case(60mm)one in front(80mm) and a dual fan psu(2x80mm).And the probe still read hot!This is when I was starting to cuss at the Asus probe and stumbled into finding that bios and sandre agreed-that asus was wrong..What a experience.

$1500-P4 gamer
    Are you running the original Probe that came with your mobo software?
    If so, you could download and try their latest version(2.15.08) and see what temp that says. In my case I have always found the temps between PC Probe, SANDRA, and the Bios to be nearly identical so it seems like there could be a slight glitch in the Probe. I would also take the Bios to be the more accurate followed by SANDRA then PC Probe

Try the new version and see how it goes otherwise many people swear by another program called Motherboard Monitor.

Gone
    Lancelot2-I did try the first update which had the same result.I'll give it another try(as I do like the prog. itself).Don't know if this is the same one I downloaded or not.Let you know.I will say though that the change from my thermal pad to Artic Silver 3 made a big dif.Just got done today and I am likeing the results so far.
    I did a full indepth temp. analysis.Its to early though to get final temps. and finish the test set.Must wait 48hours of run time arghhhhh!Any how it dropped the CPU idle temp. to 23C at ambient of 22C.The thermal pad was running 30C.AS3 used and CPU at full load scored 32C vs. the thermal pad at 40C.Thats right of the bat before the setup time it needs.Then it can drop another 3-4C.Can't wait.I've seen HSF changes yeild less improvement.Can't wait to ditch this stock intel hsf unit I have.I got the temps. useing HWmon.This is reporting the same as bios right away and has a calibrate feature aswell.Thanx for the help.It was the probe's fault.Don't know about the new probe yet.

$1500-P4 gamer, at the moment i am using Hard Ware Sensors Monitor. so far it is a great program and hasnt given me any problems. u can get it here.
    http://www.hmonitor.com/

Gone
    rhys-I've got that one now.Everything is working fine.Just wish the probe worked better than it did!

Gonna chime in and throw my vote for what Rhys mentioned earlier. Take a look at Hmonitor, which is a shareware program. Pretty accurate unlike Asus Probe. A more popular choice seems to be Motherboard Monitor although I don't think its as intuitive and easy to work with as Hmonitor. I sometimes get the feeling that Asus releases the inaccurate Probe because it errs on the high side of temps and possibly keeping people from overclocking too high.