Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 40GB-7200RPM, 60GB 5400RPM, or 60GB 7200RPM

I agree with tony_scarpelli, although at your income, or lack thereof, this might take a while. Always a good idea to build a foundation-system. Here is the deal: on my Samsung 60gb/5400rpm HDD the "average read-seek time" is 8.9ms. "ms" stands for milliseconds as we all know. I believe on a 7200rpm drive it is around 7ms or maybe 6ms. Well, average latency is 5.56ms... my point is, at these speeds, only accessing large files will drag response time. Anyways, I did earlier recommend the cheapest on your list, which happens to have been the 40gb/7200rpm. And like Tony said, why not go even smaller, i.e. 20gb/7200rpm and put the savings toward a MONSTER GeForce3Ti500 when, thanx to the "release" of the GF4's, the price should drop a notch (that is what I'm hoping so I can retire my GeForce2Pro64mb, although I'm not sure if that is a smart thing since the GF2Pro is still a pretty good card, unfortunately my new game IL-2 is choking at 35fps just flying around... that game is quite the needy-*****).

You're missing something here, Tony...he has very little money. He's 15 and must pool his allowance to get anything. He can afford the 7200RPM drive now and save by getting his choice - the 40Gb. As you stated, it will take him awhile to fill the drive. By then, he can build that hot-rod that you are recommending with the big bux he'll be making as a SysAdmin for IBM.
    MS MCP, MCSE

ok you guys persuaded me to get the 40gb 7200(i guess speed is better then size ). Hey tony, i don't really upgrade that often, consider just 4 months ago i was running a Cyrix 266mhz processor, so i don't plan on upgrading my pc after i get the hd and new video card for at least another 18 months(i'm going with moore's law), or until i can't play games anymore. So in other words, after my hd and video card, i'm not upgrading for a while.

Now as for my video card, i'm probably going to go with the Radeon 8500(it'll take me quite a while to save up for it, which by the time i have enough, the TI 500 might have gone down. If so i'm getting it). That will be probably a couple of months before i have enough for that($5 a week with ocasionally extra, like for cleaning the cars, for report card, and stuff. It also depends on how much i steal from my sister ).
    Last edited by Omega2k1; 02-13-2002 at 06:30 PM.

Temps

Just a quick note: I ran my converter
    and came up with these temps.
    95F=35C 105F=40C 120F= 49C

Conversely, 55C=131F 70C=158F

Hope this helps straighten out the temps.
    AvaChava

yeah FYI people, to convert F to C its F multiplied by .625 and then subtract 32. The reverse is C multiplied by 1.8 and add 32

out of touch

Sorry, when my son was 12 he got $5 per day for lunch money which he didn't use for that, plus his $20 per week allowance so I guess I was assuming that was what kids today get. Plus valentines day, birthday, easter and Christmas are all good for an extra $50 plus in gifts. It often seemed he had more expendable cash than I did.

I would recommend that you knock on neighbors doors and see if you can't get about $15-25 per lawn to mow some lawns.

Or find a reseller like myself who needs a young guy like your self to come over after school and load windows on systems, or swap out video and network cards on clients computers. It would be good for you and good for him as he could concentrate on higher value duties while you free him from the meaneal stuff.

I have worked with some young guys adn usually give them spare parts for pay
    tony@computerfix-it.com

hot drives

Ah come on kiddies, are ye all living in the shade? I've been running a Fuji scsi uw 68pin 2gig hard drive since the win3.XX days. It's so hot ya can not touch for a second after up for 1 hour doing just office stuff. Yep formated several times for OS changes & now running winxp pro. Sure I'm using an ATA/100 7,200 40gig as master on ide channel 1. The ide drive is IBM, runs prolly 110far for a year. Oh yea children, I don't have a jog either & live 30 miles from Fairbanks......retired age 64
    BTW go with the IBM 40gig 7,200 you will be happy

sure you can get a big drive but if anything should happen like the drive failing, you've lost that much more that you have to reload as well as lost savegames and stuff. get a couple of smaller faster drives to spread out any risk. also if you're running on FAT32 with win98 or 95 you may have problems once you hit 64gig on a single drive. i've even seen a 700mhz slot A athlon system having trouble with the 32gig barrier on a 40gig drive.