Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 40GB-7200RPM, 60GB 5400RPM, or 60GB 7200RPM

No, C means Celcius. 55 C is what, like 135 Fahrenheit or around there.

he he... Celsius not farenheit! 55C is 131F

Here is a converter if you ever get stuck:
    http://www.uncwil.edu/people/dixonrd/tempconv.htm

Your HDD sounds pretty normal temperature wise.

Duh.. I looked at x51out's message too fast. I thought he had down 55 celcius, and 70 fehrenheit in parentheses!

First of all, get a 7200RPM drive, no question.
    Second, 40GB translates to $1.93 Per/GB, 60GB translates to $1.78 per/GB, 60GB drive is better value.
    Third, don't be an idiot, get a 7200RPM. Just do it.

it would be nice to see you back up your recommendation about the 7200rpm. Why do you think he should get it?

i think i'm going to go with the 60gb 5400rpm. I've heard that 7200 is only faster with larger file sizes(like 75mb+) which i don't use. I think the largest file i have on my pc(thats not part of windows) is only like 10mb.
    If i do have more money at the time i buy it i will go for the 7200rpm
    Heat isn't an issue for me right now, i've got a 130mm fan mounted on the side of my case(i cut a hole in the case) and its blowing on my video card, cpu, power supply, and pretty much everything else inside the case.
    My case temperature is running at a cool 75F and my cpu is at 105F(pretty good for an Athlon XP 1600+), although that had nothing to do with my post .

BTW if you guys want to know what i do with this(maybe you could recommend what i should get with a better idea of what i should get). I play games(Quake 3, Max Payne, UT and similar), Make 3d Models using 3d Studio Max(i've got to get Win2k or XP, because it kills my resources), and make images and stuff with Photoshop 6.
    Last edited by Omega2k1; 02-12-2002 at 07:54 PM.

Omega2k1 is... Mr. Mod! Check it out, cut a hole in his case. Good job! Because, the two worst enemies of a computer is the person sitting in front of the screen punching the keyboard and HEAT! So you're going 60gb5400rpm? Can't say that's a bad call, it's exactly what I have.

Yeah i guess so, i even had a case that i spray painted and made it look all special, then come to find out it was an AT case and not ATX(i didn't know there were form factors for cases at the time).

i put the fan in the case cause i had really bad heat issues and it wouldn't run for 30min without crashing cause of heat, then popped it in and it was stable for about 2 months(then i got Max Payne for Christmas and melted my thermal grease ) but now i've got a Volcano 6 which is one good heatsink.

I gotta go with the 7200 RPM crowd here. If you have to choose, take the faster drive with less space.

Common sense tells you that a 7200 RPM drive should be roughly 1 1/2 times the speed of a 5400 RPM drive since the gating factor is how fast you can read from a spinning piece of metal. Its not like a CPU where you can get big gain by doing more per clock, it is pretty much spin speed. If you need more, Tomshardware has two articles, one on budget (5400 RPM) drives and one on performance (7200 RPM) drives. Check out the benchmarks.

The data transfer rate of a 7200 RPM drive are _significantly_ higher. This though you only get a big benefit when working with bigger files (little files transfer quick reguardless because they are little). The part that you really feel IMO is the seek time. The seek time on a 7200 RPM drive is about 2/3 that of a 5400 RPM. Seek time is how long it takes the drive to get to the data it needs to read. The speedup makes sense since its spinning 1 1/2 times as fast, a 7200 RPM takes 2/3 as long to get there. You will notice this.

Anecdotally, I put an IBM 7200RPM in my computer about 6 months ago. It is noticably faster than the IBM 5400 RPM that was in there before. It sits in the bottom drive bay (so open space under it) and below the 5400 RPM drive. I have not had any problems with heat or noise.

WD ATA100 60GB 7200 RPM. $127.00. EXCELLENT DRIVE! Don't give in to the cheaper drives. This drive is quiet and very fast.
    Well worth the money.

Sweeper

Sweeper, indeed an excellent drive. But Omega2k1 is a 15year-old with no job and in serious need of at least a GeForce2GTS as well. There is only so much kissing up to DAD he can do... (no offense, omega2k1, I've been there).

hehehe... yah been there too

I thought the 5400 would be better because it would last longer... better value for his hard earned buck.

my suggestion, you want size get 120 gb drive, 5400 rpm... you want speed get the cheeta 18.3 gig 15,000 rpm.... lol look at what you need 5400 and 7200 arent hugly different..... i would go the 60 gig 5400 if i were you.... get a head start on that vid card thats a big bottel neck.

Since money is a primary issue here, I would get the 40GB Seagate. By the time you fill it up, you'll be gainfully employed and making enough to add another drive.

Do you have any idea how long it takes to defrag a 40GB drive? It's pretty darned big!
    MS MCP, MCSE

new hd

I am a computer reseller/builder and have three sons so I know a little bit about the performance of Super Game Machines. That seems to be your unstated goal. Here are a few ideas that anyone on a budget can consider:

First, since you have such a fine system already (XP1600), don't shackle it with a slow HD (5400rpm). I would rather see you get a smaller but faster 10-15-20 Gig HD that is a 7200 rpm drive. If you are using a 4G now, it will be a year or more before you fill a 20 Gig. Don't forget to put the new drive on its own UDMA 100/133 IDE cable (blue connectors) adding a CD to the same IDE channel will slow it down miserably.

After a new hd you should consider getting a new motherboard ($75) with the 266a chipset which optimizes the use of the XP processors (especially for multimedia). Ideally you can find one that will use either PC133 ram or DDR 2100 ram which operates at 2 times the speed of PC133 ram. This way you can use your current ram until you can afford to buy some DDR ram later. You will see the biggest difference in speed upgrading to about 128 mb of DDR but after 256 mb of DDR, you won't see any difference in games since games are not written to us the upper ram unless you install a RAMDRIVE.

A new motherboard should also be able to support up to a 2200+ XP processor so after you upgrade the ram, hd and video card you can then upgrade your CPU to the 2200+ processor. Even if this takes a year or more, you will still be on top since you are buying quality foundation components that are upgradable. Look at this as a process of keeping up to date rather than an event of purchasing a computer.

Cnet and tomshardware sites do a good job of comparing and evaluating the components above. But when you get done with an XP system, 266a chipset, 7200 rpm drive, DDR ram and Gforce 3, you will have a system to die for.
    tony@computerfix-it.com