Thread: Need Help! Cant hook up cable modem

Need Help! Cant hook up cable modem

HELP ME! I just got my cable service today and i cant fricken get it working. Stupid self-installation Anyways, Im following all the instructions but i cant get the driver loaded on this modem. I went to the motorola website to get it and it wont work.. seem as though i need a win 98se disc.. UH?? one didnt come wit my Compaq. ?? What the hell do i do know????

Also do you need a usb adapter if u dont have a network card on ur computer?? My setup is this.. modem usb port to the pc usb port. Do i need a adapter? HELLLLLPPPPP MMEEEEEEEE
    :-D

do you have a motorola cyberdurf wave modem

do you have problem installing network card ?

No, i have the motorola surfboard4100. I dont have a network card, so i was wondering if i needed a usb 10/100 ethernet adapter. Or even if a cable modem would work without a network card..??

My experience has been that you need a USB adaptor or a NIC, one or the other.

You will need a NIC or the adapter. I would recommend a NIC because they are particularly cheap, while the USB option isn't usually so in my area.. Anyways, Windows 98 will generaly be included on your System restore CD with a retail comp. Good luck!

SpaceBz

The modem is usb ready. Meaning it is the usb adapter. Use the usb cable that came with it and plug one end into one of your usb ports.
    I'm assuming you d/l the v 2.0 USB drivers. You'll need to follow the instructions here again to remove what you incorrectly installed, then install it correctly.
    You'll need to find you Compaq restore disks and explore them to find the Win98se folder with the cab files. You'll need to point to the Win98 folder when the usb driver installation asks you. This very common during driver installs.
    Next, You'll need to check the Network Neighborhood Properties settings and also set your browser to use a LAN connection.

The reason that it needs the win98 CD is probably because it needs to load the "client for Microsoft networks" software. Usually the cabs files are loaded on your hard drive during installation so when it asks for the CD, type C:\windows\options\cabs in the window instead. If its looking for generic drivers instead of the client, then type C:\windows\system\drivers in the window. As to whether you should go with USB or a NIC; I would suggest the card as the transfer rates are higher and it's more stable. Hope this helps a litttle

heres your sulution.. when it asks you for win98 cd.type in "c:\windows\options\cabs" everything you need is there, if you have problems with that you can also type in "c:\windows" or c:\windows\system ..

I was the modem tech for Charter communications and installed a lot of surfboards...

Also did you say you have a compaq..compaq usb does not work well w\usb I would reccommed going nic

OMG, Thanks!!! Compaq sucks with usb? that sucks.... LOL ill try this stuff now..
    U guys are lifesavers.

WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON???

Now its asking for the usbcm disk.. ??? not win 98se disc. I click ok, twice and it goes through with the installation of the driver.. but it still doesnt work.. This is gay! HELP ME! PLZ~!

RE: SB 4100 Installation

This is all good advice. USB drivers are not as stable, but you never know how it will work until you try, if you can get the drivers installed that is.

I have worked for a couple of cable modem companies myself and have installed many drivers, sometimes they can be tricky.

If you have too many problems with the USB installation you may want to go with the Network card.

I have seen issues with USB drivers not installing correctly and you must do a reg hack to get the computer to install the drivers correctly, but the reg hack location is different for different modem installations, most of your phone support technicians will not support reg hacks, if yours does not and this is the issue you may be out of luck as far as USB installation goes.

If you have any other usb devices I would advise unplugging them when installing your usb cable modem drivers, I have seen doing so solve many a cable modem installation.

You said you have installed the drivers but it still does not work.
    Have you checked Device manager for the installed drivers?

If device manager reports that drivers are in good order, go to start/ run/ winipcfg, OK, then choose the SB4100 Cable Modem.
    Check for IP address, if not 169.x.x.x or 192, or 149.x.x.x, you have a good IP address. If you do have 169.x.x.x etcetera, you may be able to click, release, ( the 169 auto configure address with still be there), then renew, if you get a good IP address, run Internet Connection wizard and choose LAN connection as mentioned previously.

If Device Manager report that the drivers are not installedl, or reports a problem with the drivers you may need to install or re-install.

Device Manager is in the control panel listed as "system" then click Device Manager tab or in the properties of my computer icon from the desktop, then click device manager tab.

If you are still having problems installing the drivers, you may need to look at Universal Serial Bus Controllers in the Device Manager. You will want to confirm that you do not have a USB mouse or keyboard, if you do not have one of these and you find a USB composite device you would want to remove that from Device Manager.

If you are still having problems I would recommend that you unplug your USB connector from the USB port. Remove any references to unknown devices from Device Manager and reboot, then plug in the usb adapter, see if hardware wizard runs, if not go to Device Manager and see if you have an unknown device or USB Modem references, which the properties therof reports" Not installed, if so click on "Re-install drivers", let windows search and when you have the option of "specifying location", choose that option, deselect any other options, CD ROM, Floppy, C: Drive etc. and click on "Browse", click on the CD ROM drive, and click on OK and next, if Windows does not find the drivers look for a Windows 98 or "drivers" folder and if you can see SB 4100, click on that option, then OK and next.

If that does not work, I would recommend buying a NIC, around $20 more or less and a CAT5 cable to go with it, the SB 4100 has a port for the CAT 5 RJ 45 connector. The NIC installation is simpler for sure.

Hope this helps!

Chronk
    chronk
    twitter.com/virusfighter

Thanks for the help

Well, I am finally coming to you from my cable connection. I finally got fedup wit the driver installation of the modem and I went out and bought a adapter. It worked on my second try. lol Oh, well, spent extra cash but it works right? I wanna thank everyone for the help tho.
    Thanks
    Wayne

You did the right thing..even if you would have got it up and going through USB it would've been flaky

Good to hear you are connected via cable.

The NIC is the easiest and overall stablest.

The main thing is that you got it connected.
    Happy Surfing!

Chronk
    chronk
    twitter.com/virusfighter