Thread: To build a PC, I need...

To build a PC, I need...

I have had pre-packaged deals in the past, and want to build my own desktop PC.

It will be running Win98 (not going to go any higher than that version wise), and be used for all the usual M$ programs, i.e. office, C++ Programming etc.

Anyway, what I am really requesting is a list of things that I will need to purchase (seperately or together, for example, compatible CPU and M'board).

If there are any other threads on this (havent found any yet) link to them if you have seen any.

Many thanks for your help guys, you're the best !

Hyb.

hi
    what is your budget?

do you have a preference for amd / pentium systems

you will need
    an atx case with at least 300 watt power supply
    motherboard
    cpu
    heatsink fan
    memory
    modem
    sound card (possible onboard sound intergrated to mobo)
    graphics card ( again if your not in to games. graphics chips can be built in to mobo)
    dvd rom
    floppy drive
    hardrive
    monitor
    optional extra cdrw, speakers

take a look at www.tekheads.co.uk and look at their bundles for amd mobo/cpu/memory, they have the cheapest kr7a /2000xp/256ddr that i have found in the uk

hyborn
    One real good tool for planning a computer build is to visit a vendor's site that has a configurator program. An example that comes to mind is tccomputers.com. In this program and others, they lay out the things that you would likely want in building a PC.
    The standard stuff includes a case, motherboard, memory, processor, video card, sound card, network card or modem, mouse, keyboard, monitor, printer, cables, hard drives, cd-roms, cd writers, speakers, software including Win 98 if that's to be your O/S. Part of the fun of building a system is visiting the various sites planning your configuration. One of the best sites for pricing is pricewatch.com. Ebay is good for getting descriptions of hardware and sometimes you can find a bargain there. One of the best places to buy hardware is newegg.com but I don't know what their overseas policies are. It's also good to visit the various tech support websites if you need to understand what is compatible with what. Examples of those include motherboards.org, amdmb.com, tom's hardware (forgot the URL), of course sysopt.com, and others. Hope this helps.
    Biglaker