Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can't get to c: when using boot floppy

Can't get to c: when using boot floppy

I have an AMD K-6 400 Mhz clone which has the Award BIOS v4.51PG. I am trying to re-format the hard disk and re-install Windows 98 fresh for someone that is buying the computer from me. I have created a boot floppy that succesfully boots to A:, but when I try to access the c: drive, I get an "unknown device" error message. For some reason, when I access the b drive (I have no b drive), it takes me to my ZIP drive. I've included a driver on the floppy for the CD rom drive, and I can get to that (which I'll need later to re-install W98), but for the life of me I can't seem to access the c: drive.

It feels like the problem is in the BIOS or CMOS when I boot up, and I've tried just about everything (except for blindly going for the default BIOS settings) but I can't get to c:. My current settings are AUTO for the hard drive detection, and I've even tried putting the proper cylinders, tracks, heads, etc string in there and re-booting, but still no luck.

Any ideas how I might grab hold of my c: drive from a boot floppy??????

Thanks for any insight!!!!

hi
    try making another boot disk firstly just incase any of the commands havent been copied to the floppy (this has happened to me a few times)

then when you get to the a prompt try fdisk->,delete partition->create partition->format your harddrive->instal os

this might work

good luck
    cavill

Will the computer still boot from c:?, if so, watch for a message from drive overlay software that may be installed. If you have drive overlay software installed on this hard drive, watch for a message that may offer alternate boot instructions, or go to the web site of the software manufacturer. Otherwise, you will not be able to access the c: drive without doing a complete wipe with a third party utillity.

If your bios does not recognize the drive, then you may have drive or IDE controller problems.

Did you make any hardware or configuration changes prior to this problem?

I think someone from this forum once mentioned the same problem and he fixed it by unpluggin the zip drive and when C is fixed,reinstall your Zip.

bluemoon

Win98 boot disk will shift your hard drive and CD drive down by one letter - try Denter)

Wow! Great replies from a variety of forum members. I'm amazed! I haven't tried all the solutions offered, (maybe after the Super Bowl....), but I'll address a few:

1) My boot floppy seems to be in good shape. When I try to fdisk c: I get the same error message.

2) I've tried d: e: f: g: etc. and cannot get hold of the primary hard drive.

3) The computer is in good shape, and when there is no boot floppy in the drive bay, booting will first seek the floppy, then go to the c drive as normal. W98 boots just fine.

One forum member suggested unplugging the ZIP drive, and this will be something I will try soon. However, just to add to the mystery, I noticed that when booting, my BIOS detects as the IDE Master my external USB drive. This sounds weird, but then as the boot sequence continues, it goes to my c drive and boots fine. I've tried unplugging the external drive, but the BIOS still "detects" the drive. I would have figured that at this low a level, no USB peripherals would be detected. Does this add anything significant to the story?

Thanks!

Intimate Member
    This sure sounds like the hard drive has a disk manager on it...like DDO (Dynamic Drive Overlay) or a version of it from the hard drive manufacturer. If the drive has a disk manager, and a dos type boot disk is used, it will not find the C: drive because it is hidden from dos. A boot disk for a drive is usually made after the disk manager is loaded which will have the info on the boot disk that will understand the disk manager.

If the drive has a disk manager...you will see a blue splash bar just after the bios detects and reports the drives ect, then usually there will be a blurb to hit the space bar to boot from a disk. If you are seeing any of this, wait until the blue splash screen comes up which is now loading the disk manager...hit the space bar to stop any further booting, insert the dos boot disk and hit enter...I believe I remember this correctly back from when I used to use DDO. It should now boot to an A: prompt where you can change to the C: drive. Be aware tho, if DDO or any disk manager is loaded, that will need to be uninstalled before any normal fdisk or format can be done.

DDO or any disk manager is used to fool the bios into believing the hard drive is the correct size. Many older bioses would not recognize a hard drive over so many mb...say, if some bios would only allow a 2 gb drive, then you must flash to a later bios, or use a disk manager to use a 12 gig hard drive ect.

Can your PC detect the presence of your HDD? If so, you can try downloading your HDD disc manager and do a low level format on it. Normally those program can perform a low level format of your drive, well most of em do and can automatically detect and configure most of the sector, head and etc. If all goes well you should be able to see your drive again. From what you describe it looks like your problem is on the FAT system, probably your FAT system went bonkers. If i remember correctly for Seagate HDD the program is called DiscWizard, Quantum it is QDPS and Fujitsu it is Dgdisk. I am not sure about the rest, you will have to go to the website and check out on it. It is quite a huge download... well, normally they are a few MB in size. Hope that helps and good luck.

Regarding the disk manager or DDO angle to the discussion, I don't believe my disk has this. I certainly don't get a blue splash bar when I boot up that informs me of boot options.

Could it be (as I mentioned in my second post) that, in the beginning of the boot sequence, what the BIOS "detects" as my IDE Master is really my external USB drive. The line that comes up on the screen references a Samsung drive as my IDE Master - which I don't have - but this "Samsung" drive shows up again in the Device Manager under Disk Drives as my d: drive. The d: drive is my USB external 20G drive.

Since I'm at such a low level during the boot up, if the BIOS is somehow "detecting" the drive, but then the boot up sequence doesn't go far enough to load the USB drivers, I get an "invalid drive specification" error message when I try to go from the a: prompt to the c: prompt.

If this sounds possible, how do I convince my BIOS to look at my 6.4G c: drive and detect THAT as the IDE Master?

Thanks!

Intimate Member
    Hmmm, Can you maybe disconnect all drives except the master drive that is not showing up now, go into bios and have it autodetect just that drive. If that happens, then add other drives back one at a time, rebooting each time and trying to get to the C: drive from an A: prompt, this procedure may tell you where the glitch is.

Is your C: not a FAT16/32 drive? It yes (foe example, NTFS) then you should load a NTFSDOS (or another) utility to see and work with it.

Yes, I think I'm going to have to give the Bovon method a try. But first, I'm going to wait a day or two for my new system to arrive (it's "in the mail" supposedly), then transfer over all my files via PCSync. After everything is safe and secure on the new system, I'm going to slowly begin unplugging the drives from the old one. I WILL be victorious!!!!!!!!!!!

Is the jumpers set correctly? You sure you have your 6.4GB as master and the rest set correctly? Alternatively try Bovon method. When the going get tough. the tough disconnect everything except the required component. Heh. Good luck dude.

Well, I'm pretty sure all the jumpers are set right. I haven't messed with them in the last couple of years. I assume that since my computer boots ok without a floppy, my "Master drive" is indeed the 6.4G drive with W98. Still waiting on the new system to arrive. Will attempt the Bovon method in the next day or two...

Russ

Try a large hammer.