Thread: Overclocking a Tualatin

Overclocking a Tualatin

Hey there. I got a Celeron 1A GHz Tualatin based CPU on a Abit ST6 and I am unable to overclock it. It is not stable at anything above stock frequencies - has anyone else seend this. the default FSB is 100MHz, I can up it to about 103-104 before it stops POSTing

just a question, want to know if there's a trick I am not aware of.

thnks

Tualatin based Celerons began at 1.2ghz.

Not sure what you mean by Celeron 1A Ghz.

Tualatin-based celerons begin at 1GHz. Look around internet hardware sites - any celeron with 256KB of cache is based on the tualatin core. They do overlap the older 128KB Coppermine celeron at 1 and 1.1 GHz

Hi!

Maybe you didn't set the proper ratio in BIOS (3:3:1, 4:3:1, or 4:4:1). Depending on how you overclock, you must set this ratio properly, or you'll be not able to overclock. Also, you must set the voltage A BIT higher, if overclocking over 10%.

I use a Celeron 900/100; it runs fine on ABIT ST6 at 1100/122, but I changed 3:3:1 (when @ 900/100) to 4:4:1 (@ 1.1 GHz), and raised the core voltage to 1.825 from 1.750.

Try it out! Good luck!

What sort of memory od you have in your system, because if you have generic PC100 memory and have it set to fast settings in the BIOS, that may be causing some of your problems.
    Bigparsnip.

Thank you all for your replies, I should have posted sooner... I was able to overclock it, and I was pleasantly surprised by the results. But first, here's what was happening. When CPU speed was set to User Define, all options became adjustable EXCEPT for 1 - which is the multiplier. Thinking that the multiplier is locked, I figured this would not be a big deal and the BIOS will figure it out. No such luck - it would give "CPU is unworkable" errors on boot and be generally unstable, even with a minor FSB increase. I realized soon (after two days ) that was probably causing the problem, and figured to try the preset 10x133=1330 MHz... and it worked! no stability problems, nothing. I also remembered that you can go directly to a particular speed by pressing Enter on the field and selecting it from the long list of settings.
    Turns out that this way, the multiplier in the menu is ALWAYS the last one that was chosen, but since you cannot manually override it you will always use a multiplier that is correct for the last preset speed. By using the menu, you can go from any CPU with 10x multiplier (or whichever one you need) to User Define.

This was bith bios ver. 6A; abit's FTP was down for a while, but I think they now have 6B which may fix this annoyance. If anyone is interested, I overclocked that thing to 144FSB (1.44GHz) with some voltage increase and standard Intel-supplied heatsink (which is a nice piece, but a crappy fan). Sounds like it is approaching the level of overclock of original 300As - about 45% in this case. With better cooling it probably could go to 1.5 - no surprise though, since Intel is planning to introduce PIIIs in speeds up to 1.5 GHz.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Ultimate Member
    I must say, that is a very nice overclock ya have there.

But you said that Intel is preparing PIII for upto 1.5Ghz??

I asume ya mean the Celeron, cause, PIII's are end of life, they are being kicked out of Intel's assortment.

Why??

Cause they pose a threat to the "almighty" P4 performance wise.

That is why Intel is discontinuing the PIII line, and will go on with the celeron line.
    But to keep to customers a little happy after this, they made the celeron have 256Kb cache.

So in other words, the celeron is now just a PIII @ 100Mhz fsb, just with speeds over 1Ghz.

Ultima

Originally posted by Ultima

But you said that Intel is preparing PIII for upto 1.5Ghz??

I asume ya mean the Celeron, cause, PIII's are end of life, they are being kicked out of Intel's assortment.

Why??

Cause they pose a threat to the "almighty" P4 performance wise.

That is why Intel is discontinuing the PIII line, and will go on with the celeron line.
    But to keep to customers a little happy after this, they made the celeron have 256Kb cache.

So in other words, the celeron is now just a PIII @ 100Mhz fsb, just with speeds over 1Ghz.

Ultima
    Accaully Ultima, in Japan a few weeks ago, they released the 1.4Ghz P3 based on the Tualatin core. I don't know if this was done in other areas though.

PIII 1.4GHz with 512K cache is currently for sale in the US as a server CPU for about $340 street. It is a threat to a PIV, that's why no one knows of this CPU's existence