Thread: Can't play music cds

Can't play music cds

I have a no name 56x cd-rom and a Creative 8432 CDRW. If I put a music cd into the cd-rom (this is with auto-play enabled mind you) the computer completely freezes, I have to do a hard reboot. I can't even get the cd out of the drive till I reboot.
    If I put a music cd into the burner, the cd plays just fine, no problems. Cd's with programs like games, etc., run just fine in the cd-rom drive.

Now this really wouldn't bother me but I want to make copies of some music cd's I have, on the fly copies. Anyhow, if I disable the auto-play on the cd-rom, I can put a music cd in it and burn it that way, no lock ups or freezes. But if the music cd in the cd-rom drive and I try to play in the drive with say like Musicmatch or Winamp or anything really, the computer freezes, and I have to reboot.

I have the cd-rom and burner on the same IDE cable, cd-rom master burner slave. I have tried with the burner the slave to the hard drive. Made no difference.

Any clues?

If you temporarily disconnect the CDRW does the problem go away?
    CDRWs often want to be the master drives. I've seen similar problems if they're not set up that way. Be sure to set the jumpers on the CDROM to slave, then put the burner on the end connector and the CDROM in the middle one
    Celeron600@1035mhz
    Abit VT6X4
    320 MB PC133
    GeForce2ti 64MB
    Quantum 15G 7200rpm

First of all you'll need to connect the 56x cd-rom to the four pin connector on your soundcard with the tiny cable that came with your drive, or you won't be able to get any sound out of it at all (unless you plug something on the connector in front of the drive).

Second, try to set your system this way:
    *******PRIMARY SECONDARY
    MASTER Harddisk burner
    SLAVE 56x drive

This way you'll solve both the problems of having your drives on the same IDE cable (can generate buffer underruns) and make your burner master. good luck

[edit] list didn't work, solved now [edit]
    Last edited by jawaligt; 01-27-2002 at 05:33 AM.
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -- Albert Einstein

I have my cd-rom connected to my soundcard correctly. I'll try what you said, tell you how it goes.

I put the burner as primary and the cd-rom secondary and when I booted up, the screen said incompatable secondary ATAPI.
    I went ahead and booted into windows me, and in the control panel, system panel, a exclamation was beside the secondary IDE controller (dual fifo) under the hard disk conotrollers option.

Any ideas?

I once had a problem similar to this, it was caused by the early version of 'Direct CD' that came with my HP burner. Direct CD now forms part of EZ Creator.

You should also check your system for IRQ or Address conflicts:

My Computer
    Control Panel
    System
    Devices

Highlight computer (top of tree)
    Click: Properties

Hangs are quite often caused by internal resource conflicts.

Look at the properties of the device with the exclamation mark to find out why its got it.

The ideal set up (as stated above):

Primary:
    Hard Disk - Master
    56x Rom - Slave

Secondary:
    Burner - Master

It is recommended that you avoid 2 CD roms on the same IDE channel were possible.
    Last edited by Bellbus; 01-28-2002 at 12:24 PM.