Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ECS problems with corrupted data

ECS problems with corrupted data

Okay, if anyone can solve this I will be thrilled. I have an ECS K7S5A, a 1.4, a 40 gig maxtor 7400 rpm hard drive and 256 megs of ddr ram. The problem is that aside fro being unstable on any 3d acellerated game, i also keep getting corrupted data problems. This happens when I try to install demos off cds, sometimes when I install games it gets that way too. It just says that there is a corrupt installation file but I know there is not because all of the cds work in other computers. Finally I think this has nothting to do with my cd rom because any demos I download don't work either.
    Thanks in advance

What operating system do you have. If its winxp, or 2k, alot of your demos that are compatible with win95&98 won't run.
    Also what type of video card do you have and is the driver and directx version up to date?
    Of course directx is not an issue if your OS is winxp unless your video driver is old.
    Last edited by frank5; 01-24-2002 at 08:45 PM.

I am really only worried about the corrupt installations because it is really starting to chap my a**. I am running Windows 98SE, I have an Asus ti200 Geforce 3 deluxe. My drives are as new as they come and I am running at Direct x 8.

**Edited for Language - Imperion1**
    Last edited by Imperion1; 01-24-2002 at 09:35 PM.

Data Corruption

The problem is a hardware one. There has been data corruption problems with the K7S5A mobo and the 1.4ghz T-Bird. There is a forum at another hardware page that will help you resolve the issue. I don't know if ECS solved it with a BIOS update or patch. I'll shoot you an e-mail with the address. Good Luck wallie_x

Wasn't aware of this Wallie_x. I have the same board with an athlon xp 1700+. Runs like a charm. Goodluck RaulDuke!

ECS K7S5A

I also have a K7S5A with an Athlon XP 1600, runs beautifully with Win XP. The problem, for some reason, seems confined to the 1.4ghz T-Birds.

Sounds like too high a FSB, cant handle it...

Hi,

I am having a similar problem. However I hace a soyo mobo, and an xp1600. Files that I have downloaded seem to be corrupted. I have downloaded files, like xp drivers etc., and they worked fine. A few days later I would go back and need to use them again, and they would be corrupted. I ran 3dmark2001 numerous times, but then suddenly it can't make it through a demo or a benchmark because some texture file is corrupted. I have been playing return to castle wolfenstein hour after hour, but then *poof* the game won't load because of some bad file.

These problems have repeated, before and after xp updates, nvidia driver updates, bios update, via 4in1 updates etc. I reinstalled xp, and every file I had on other partitions (driver zip files and stuff like that) were corrupted..none would work. I'm using the ntfs file system on all partitions.

These events happened separately...I mean it didn't all start at once, as if I did one thing to screw up all the files.

This also happened before and after overclocking my comp, so I don't think that's the problem.

I have norton antivirus 2002, so I don't think it's a virus problem.

Do you think this related to Ralduke's problem, or should I start a new thread?

I can live with corrupt downloads etc but when it keeps me from wolfenstein I get angry!

Athlon xp 1600+
    soyo dragon+
    512 2400 ddr
    hercules ti200 gf3
    ibm 60gig hd
    sb audigy platinum

data corruption

Did you convert your files over from FAT 32 to NTFS? If you did then the issue might be a Windows problem. However, Via chipsets are known to have compatibility issues with certain hardware configurations. How old is your mobo and what Via chipset do you have? Also, look in both the BIOS and 'Device Manager' in Windows to see how the BIOS is configuring your harddrive and how Windows is recognizing its parameters.(It may be a hard drive compatiblility or settings issue.) Is DMA enabled? There has also been issues with ACPI and Windows. You might try turning it off in the BIOS and see what happens. Doing the latter has solved many unexplained problems. Good Luck wallie_x

I was unable to find anything on data corruption on that forum devoted to the ECS K7S5A, they did have some stuff on floppy drive data corruption but nothing about the hard drive. Do you think my ram could be the culpret here? I think I am going to try and swap it out.

This may be a long shot but I had similar problems with my K7S5A mother board. Using Windows XP my system would reboot itself after running for various amounts of time. Finally it wouldn't boot at all. After sending my computer back for repair they replaced the mother board and sent it back thinking that was the problem. Well I still had the same problem when I got it back. After much troubleshooting of my own I found out that ECC RAM was the culprit all the time because it isn't compatible with the K7S5A motherboard.

I know you didn't say you had ECC RAM but just in case you do it is something to look at.

Hope this help at least a little

Eric

EX Moderator-May He Rest in Peace rangeral's Avatar
    You might try underclocking it to 1.2 or 1.3 with a 100 fsb see if the corruption stops.

K7S5A data corruption

I know I read of problems with the K7S5A and the 1.4ghz Thunderbird CPU. Some people even soldered a resistor onto their boards in a way called "Mr. Athlon's Fix" I'll see if I can find a link. But I also know a few people solved the 1.4ghz T-Bird problem without soldering on a resistor. ECS never owned up to it stating officially that the data corruption was caused by the 1.4ghz running too hot (i.e. >50 deg C) They recommended a new HSF to keep the CPU cool. I'll see if I can find more info.

I know I read of problems with the K7S5A and the 1.4ghz Thunderbird CPU. Some people even soldered a resistor onto their boards in a way called "Mr. Athlon's Fix" I'll see if I can find a link. But I also know a few people solved the 1.4ghz T-Bird problem without soldering on a resistor. ECS never owned up to it stating officially that the data corruption was caused by the 1.4ghz running too hot (i.e. >50 deg C) They recommended a new HSF to keep the CPU cool. I'll see if I can find more info
    wallie is right, and the discussion thread is on ocworkbench:
    http://forum.ocworkbench.com/ocwbcgi...4&t=002047&p=5

that link should get you into the right thread, then look for Mr Athlon...unfortunately, all traces of "Mr Athlon" seem to have disapeared, so, fact or fiction, who knows.

Here's another possibility: I am experiencing very similar problems with the same board + same OS (Win98SE) + 1.33 T-bird + 256MB PC-2100 DDR and after spending days looking for answers I think I've cracked it: this board is VERY sensitive to the kind of DDR RAM you install. So much so that I would highly recommend getting it from crucial or kingston who specifically offer DDR RAM for specific mobos, and the K7S5A is on their list. I bought generic DDR from Micron because my previous experience is that RAM WORKS, dude. But in the world of DDR, things are not that straightforward anymore. There even is an article in PCW regarding the problems with DDR incompatibility.

Bottom line is that I have just ordered a new DDR module from crucial, using their memory finder on their website. You could be cynical and think it's just marketing ****, but, WE WILL SOON FIND OUT. As soon as I get my new RAM I will post the results.

For now I am forced to run my system using 100 FSB instead of the 133 it was designed for. Works fine.

Many problems have been reported on this mobo, and they all vary. so don't go rushing to buy new DDR ram unless you're fairly confident that's what causing problems. Worth noting that good'ole SDRAM doesn't have that problem....

(need glass of water - mouth dry)
    ThereAintNoJustice

well seems like my intuition sucks! I got my shiny new module of PC2100 DDR (256K) from Crucial, and only got small improvements. My PC only craches when I run intensive graphics applications (games, 3Dmark,...) whereas before it used to crash even when i used to try and install a game. bottom line is i don't know what to do, and i am sick and tired of trying to fix this. i might just keep going at 100FSP where everything is nice and stable, and try and forget the fact that the components are all meant to be working at 133.

oh, and i found the thread to Mr Athlon, thanks to another member who posted on the problems with K7S5A thread:

pub65.ezboard.com/bk7s5amotherboardforum

adios
    ThereAintNoJustice