Thread: 1995 DODGE STRATUS TRANNY SUDDEN DOWNSHIFT WOES

1995 DODGE STRATUS TRANNY SUDDEN DOWNSHIFT WOES

HELLO,I HAVE A 1995 DODGE STRATUS WITH A 2.5L V6 AND 41TE AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE. tHE CAR HAS 146000 MILES ON IT BUT RUNS LIKE A NEW ONE. THE TRANNY WAS REPLACED LAST YEAR WITH A 1997 MODEL YEAR 41TE. EXCEPT FOR A SHIFTING DELAY WHEN ATTEMPTING TO PASS, THE TRANNY PERFORMED GREAT UNTIL A COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO. AS I WAS DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD AT 55 MPH, THE TRANNY SUDDENLY SHIFTED INTO FIRST GEAR AND WOULD NOT UPSHIFT.AS YOU CAN IMMAGINE , IT WAS QUITE AN UNNERVING EXPERIENCE. I PULLED THE CAR OVER, PUT IT INTO PARK, TURNED THE CAR OFF AND RESTARTED IT , THE TRANNY WORKED FINE FOR ABOUT 5 MILES AND DID IT AGAIN. SINCE THEN, IT WAS HAPPENING MORE FREQUENTLY AND THE TURN THE CAR OFF FIX WORKED LESS OFTEN.I PARKED THE CAR FOR A MONTH AND DROVE IT A COUPLE OF TIMES OVER THE PAST WEEK WITH NO PROBLEMS. THAT CONFUSED ME, THEN I THOUGHT, WELL THE WEATHER IS MUCH COLDER NOW, COULD THE COLD BE A FACTOR? TWO DAYS AGO I DROVE THE CAR ALL OVER THE AREA I LIVE IN AND LET THE CAR SET WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING FOR 15 MINUTES, THEN DROVE IT AROUND A LITTLE MORE AND SURE ENOUGH, IT DID IT AGAIN. ALSO MY CRUISE CONTROL WENT OUT AT THE SAME TIME AND I CAN FIND NO OBVIOUSE CAUSE FOR ITS FAILURE. ANY IDEAS? THANKS, IROCUROC.

i think you might be at the wrong website?

Is it running Windows 98?

Hi and welcome to SysOpt. First let me appologize for the last two people that responded to your post. This really should be posted in the community forum and the Mods will probably put it there shortly.

Come on people. I know this isn't a computer related question but the SysOpt I know would have people that would at least attempt to help. Instead of saying your at the wrong website how about saying "try going here http://communities.msn.com/AutoTechs..._whatsnew.msnw and posting your problem" which only took me 30 sec to find.

As far as my mechanical knowledge of trannys goes. It sounds to me like one of the pumps are going out and you need to get it fixed before it causes more problems.

Hope this helps

John

tranny woes

since my tranny is controlled by a computer based system i thought what the heck, take a chance maybe one of y'all would be a gear head as well a computer brain.
    Thank you JNAS for your kindness and help, UROC. mike.

Your welcome and come back with all your computer related questions also.

Good luck

John

jnas: you don't have to appologize for me. irocuroc's post was very different from anything we see around here. If he said what was in his last post up front, I would have realized that he knew where he was and what his intentions were.

irocuroc: Welcome to sysopt. I was poking fun at the irony of getting a mechanical question on a computer site. Hope you find your problem.

I had a similar problem with a 1993 Bonneville SSEi. It turned out to be an electrical issue since the shifting mechanism was electronically controlled instead of direct linkage.

it was pretty funny though

Thanks Jimstep, I actually thought it was pretty funny. We all need more humor in our lives.

Since everyone is hungry for some PC questions, I just so happen to have one for you. I have a hp model 8650c with a 533 mhz celeron proc. 191 mb of pc133 rd ram and 20 gigs on one hard drive and 9 gigs on a removable drive. The question, I have heard alot about overclocking these celeron 533's. How can I clock this baby up a bit? Ive had this pc for almost 2 years and would like to keep it and upgrade.

Thanks IROCUROC.

Banned
    This is a common problem in those transaxles.
    Happens on many Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge models.
    Did your check engine light also come on when this started?
    It's most likely a bad input speed sensor, or output shaft speed sensor.
    Last edited by Kruzin; 01-24-2002 at 10:55 PM.

Thats what happened to my moms crysler about a week ago. But she couldn't restart the car so she had to call tow truck. They said it wasn't the transmission just a timing thing. Somthing really small and had the car back the next day

I had the same symptons on a different model car a couple of years. It turned out to be a small solenoid that set me back about $250. No matter what it is, chances are you will have to bring it in to a tranny shop to get fixed. Good luck.

Waferdog

sounds like a tcc solenoid to me...

Re: it was pretty funny though

Originally posted by IROCUROC
    Thanks Jimstep, I actually thought it was pretty funny. We all need more humor in our lives.

Since everyone is hungry for some PC questions, I just so happen to have one for you. I have a hp model 8650c with a 533 mhz celeron proc. 191 mb of pc133 rd ram and 20 gigs on one hard drive and 9 gigs on a removable drive. The question, I have heard alot about overclocking these celeron 533's. How can I clock this baby up a bit? Ive had this pc for almost 2 years and would like to keep it and upgrade.

Thanks IROCUROC.
    That's a tough one. HP, like Gateway, IBM, Compaq (to name a few), have proprietary motherboards and don't allow overclocking. You'd have to build a system to get into the really cool stuff. I don't know what your budget is, but you'd be surprised how inexpensive it is to build a system. I replaced my motherboard, graphics card, memory and a case. I kept the stuff I already had, the harddrive, floppy, cdrom, monitor, and speakers.