Thread: CD ROMS vs. DVD ROMS

CD ROMS vs. DVD ROMS

ok besides the obvious media format and the chance to watch your favorite movie on you personal confuser (via The Matrix)
    what are the diferences and pros and cons ?

And to also answer your other thread, with a few dollars more, you can read both DVDs and CDs on a DVD drive. With the CD read speeds about the same on both types of drives, you might as well get the DVD for flexibility. I usually put in DVD drives so when you later get a CD-RW, you can rip DVDs to VCDs or do CD-to-CD copying.

I agree with Imanage, for the sake of the price difference. it could be better buying a DVD (for future proofing the machine).

However, be warned, we have had a lot of trouble with DVD drives reading CDR disks. 3 of 4 drives I've bought for people have had some trouble reading CDR's that the CD Rom drives read OK (I don't know why).

Pros:
    The only real advantage at the moment is that sooner or later, computers will swap to DVD as more data needs to be stored for games, etc.. If your going to cough up for a drive, spend a little extra a get a DVD.

Cons:
    I've had a little trouble with CDR's in these drives