Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ios and Slow Boot?

Ios and Slow Boot?--SOLVED!!!

See Last Post>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hello all... I'm continuing my quest to find the reason for my slow boot. I've posted before on my problems with a random slow boot. (cold boot mostly, but sometimes on reboot) I've worked hard at trying all your suggestions i.e.:Format / Re-install, Remove and re-install drivers, Disable Network adaptors, Adding memory, (Which "Something Trivial" got into), Disabling all start-up programs in msconfig, Tweaking Ini, DMA, Swap files, Virtual memory, and so on. But, as I stated in a previous post, using Bootlog analizer, I allways seem to "hang" on Device Init =IOS
    I've tried to research IOS and .vxd's and wonder now if the problem I'm having is inherent to the Windows 98se Disc I used to re-install with two times.
    What about replacing my current Ios.vxd Files (Win\Options\Cabs and Win\ Sys\Vmm32) with a new one?
    I've also had minor problems when I come out of "standby"(mouse freezes and Icons not functioning) which MS says is a problem with Ios.vxd and Esdi_506.pdr. They suggest Waiting until tested patch has been "proven"
    Bolw is an excerpt from Bootlog Analizer showing where my system hangs:

13:44:53 0.00 Enumerating DeskJet 930C #MX03A1C29GJL (USB\VID_03F0&PID_1204\MX03A1C29GJL)
    13:44:53 0.00 Enumerated DeskJet 930C #MX03A1C29GJL (USB\VID_03F0&PID_1204\MX03A1C29GJL)
    13:44:53 0.00 DEVICEINIT = ACPI
    13:44:53 0.00 DEVICEINITSUCCESS = ACPI
    13:44:53 0.00 DEVICEINIT = VCDFSD
    13:44:53 0.00 DEVICEINITSUCCESS = VCDFSD
    *******13:44:53 213.61 DEVICEINIT = IOS ***********
    13:48:27 0.06 Dynamic load device C:\WINDOWS\system\IOSUBSYS\apix.vxd
    13:48:27 0.00 Dynamic load success C:\WINDOWS\system\IOSUBSYS\apix.vxd
    13:48:27 0.06 Dynamic load device C:\WINDOWS\system\IOSUBSYS\atapchng.vxd
    13:48:27 0.00 Dynamic load success C:\WINDOWS\system\IOSUBSYS\atapchng.vxd
    13:48:27 0.06 Dynamic load device C:\WINDOWS\system\IOSUBSYS\cdfs.vxd

My System specs. and earlier post on this subject are below.
    Thanks for the help and the education. brad

Running Win 98se 544mb Ram 14g hard drive Pent III
    Gateway 9300 laptop
    Have re-formated/clean installed win 98se 4 times.
    Problem occures with or with-out non-windows apps installed.
    Have re-named config.sys to config.xxx and autoexec.bat to autoexec.xxx in msdos
    Have eliminated all start-up programs.
    NO VIRUSES detected.
    Run through scandisc and defrag every week.
    Empty ALL temps/histories upon exit.
    "normal" boot takes 45secs. But every 12 hours or so it takes up to 8mins.
    Bootlog Analizer says that DEVICEINIT = IOS takes 213 secs. when I have the "hang"
    Have updated ALL device drivers.
    Going nuts!!! This has been on going for a year.
    Any suggestions?????
    brad
    Last edited by dsredfox; 02-06-2002 at 08:03 PM.

Do you have a CD in the tray when the long boots occur?

userserver, No I don't have a CD in the tray when this happens......

wallijon, Will try your suggestions within the hour.....Thanks. I will post back.

Is there a USB device connected? Is the system connected to a LAN, DSL, or Cable Modem?
    Last edited by userserver; 01-22-2002 at 03:42 PM.

There are two USB devices: HP Printer and HotSync Cradle for a Visor.

Modem is Dial-up

OK. Gateways and Dells can have extended boot times when USB devices are connected. When I was doing tech support for Dell the workaround used to be to remove the USB devices. (There may be a bios update that resolves this issue.)

Next time you have a slow boot, shut down and disconnect one of the USB devices, then restart. If still slow disconnect the other also. The issue has to do with device enumeration and the interaction of windows and bios.

Ok, userserver........ Will also contact Gateway for availability of bio's update. Will post back.

In the process of Doing wallijonn's check, too. Thanks.

Originally posted by dsredfox
    Ok, userserver........ Will also contact Gateway for availability of bio's update. Will post back.

In the process of Doing wallijonn's check, too. Thanks.
    Why don't you wait to see if the issue is usb related. There is no reason to update a bios if you aren't having problems with it.

< Incorrect driver info removed >

Hope your system survives the adjustments your are making to it now.
    Last edited by userserver; 01-22-2002 at 07:06 PM.

Easy, userserver. I said was "checking" the availability of bio's update. Not only that, I'm still working at the series of checks that wallijonn gave me. I'm trying one possibility at a time. I did learn something from Mr. Chiew.
    I really do appreciate your help and all others and I'd like to check out all suggestions as best I can. Bio's flashing is about the last thing I want to try as mine is surface mounted and I know a bad flash could be the end. brad

That's the latest version? Ok...will check. Gateway says it is 16.86 Have 16.81 now.

Originally posted by dsredfox
    Easy, userserver. I said was "checking" the availability of bio's update. Not only that, I'm still working at the series of checks that wallijonn gave me. I'm trying one possibility at a time.
    I wasn't referring to flashing the bios. I'm skeptical of attacking multiple issues at once. Microsoft has already told you the cause of the mouse freezing and it is not related to power management. However, you obviously know how to format and reinstall an OS so my comment was inappropriate.

dsredfox

Sorry to intrude. For me, it's a learning process as well. What I'm really trying to do is to profit from your adversity. Your misery, my gain, if you know what I mean.

A word or two about the I/O subsystem (Microsoft calls it the Block I/O subsystem).

It provides services to file systems and device drivers. Tasked with the orderly handling of file service requests (queuing them) and sending them to the right file system driver.

IOS.VXD
    This fellow's the so-called "supervisor". He supervises everything within the subsystem. He's an essential system VXD. Without him the I/O subsystem falls apart. No one else has the prerogative to control and manage the goings-on for protected-mode file system and device driver in his kingdom.

VMM32.VXD
    The ringbearer of a VXD. Without the ringbearer working, IOS.VXD will sleep, unable to wake up to do his job. You see, dsredfox, VMM32.VXD is critical to the start-up process. Get this for starters. He loads more than 40 vxds (51 in my machine) among other functions. There are more than 40 vxds embedded inside VMM32.VXD, from REBOOT.VXD to IOS.VXD to EBIOS.VXD, etc., etc.

Generally speaking, when VMM32.VXD is corrupted, or damaged, you extract a copy of it from CAB files. Or, if only one of them is "mad" (IOS.VXD, for example), you could still extract only IOS.VXD from the CAB files. But there is a catch. How do you embed IOS.VXD inside VMM32.VXD. The truth is you can't. The way around the seemingly impossible task is to lodge IOS.VXD in this folder C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32. When you do this, VMM32.VXD upon waking up and finding IOS.VXD corrupted, corrupted, or missing, will search for IOS.VXD in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32 by DEFAULT.

VMM32.VXD, by the way, switches your CPU to operate in protected-mode when the last phase of the boot sequence begins.

Herein probably lies the place where you should start thinking about your problem. Having reformatted and re-installed your OS so many times, it is safe to conclude that it's an I/O thing (nothing wrong with your OS).

Is there a common thread with the initials IO. Input and output. Immediately you think of the BIOS. Some have suggested that you upgrade your BIOS. You have expressed apprehension over such a move. But nothing ventured, nothing gain. Another thing you ought to do is UPGRADE YOUR CHIPSET DRIVERS.

So, one upgrade your chipset drivers; two, upgrade your BIOS.

Do scan your system for virus infection first. If upgrading fails, you may be talking about software conflicts.

Michael Chiew
    Michael Chiew

Mr. Chiew.... I feel as if I'm in school again. Must be mistaken. School never had such forthright teachers. I'm learning a lot from this forum, and you are my insentive. I will follow-up as soon as I finish all the other "well thought" trouble shooting techniques.
    Your insight is my insentive......... Thanks to all.... brad

Thanks to all......I am formatting and clean installing, again. Will post back. brad

Happy Days to All who worked to help me!!! Didn't have to Format/Install after all. Downloaded new Chipset drivers and then updated my Bio's. Have re-booted 10 times now and cold bootted 3 times with very fast boots every time. Never could have done it without the support of: Michael Chiew, userserver, wallijonn, and the folks at SysOpt. Thankyou, Thankyou! brad