Thread: CD will not autorun in Win XP

CD will not autorun in Win XP

Hi,

I posted a message about a week ago about the problem I am having with my Yamaha CD writer under Win XP Pro. The problem is that no matter what I do I cannot get any Cd's to autorun. A few people replied but everything they offered still results in the same problem. I was wondering if anyone else can give me any help.

Could the problem have been caused by having nero 5.5.5.1 & Easy CD 5.02 on the same PC, I have now removed nero as I prefer the Adaptec software. Everything else is fine but this problem is just really annoying.

Regards

Richard Carter

I'd be inclined to think the problem lies with the Yamaha burner itself.

As I'm sure you know, when a CD is placed in a drive the operating system detects the action and looks for an autorun.inf file on the CD. The key here, it seems to me, is that the drive itself has to send a signal to the operating system or in some way make it be known that a CD has in fact been inserted in the drive.

If you are having a problem with ALL CDs, including commercially stamped CDs, the problem is almost certainly the burner. If the problem is only with burned CDs, it's not uncommon. For some reason I don't fully understand yet, the very presence of an autorun.inf file on a burned CD is no guarantee it will work. I read on a website somewhere a few months ago how to make a burned CD autorun and gave it a try, it worked. But I've found that just burning the CD or making a supposedly exact copy of a commercial CD doesn't work.

If the first case applies, all CDs fail to autorun, I'd be checking into the compatibility of your burner and it's firmware with XP. In the second case, you'll need to find the correct procedure to burn a CD that will autorun.

For the life of me I cannot remember the procedure to burn an autorun capable CD but vaguely recall I found it in the Microsoft Knowledgebase somewhere.

Try setting up autoplay under my computer, go to the drive your Burner is on right click for properties. I'm sure you allready tried this. I have an older yamaha burner that did the same thing, I couldn't get it to burn with media player and not with Easy CD Creater 5. It wouldn't autoplay either. I kept messing around with it uninstalling it and so forth untill it started working. Sorry to say I can't remember what exactally I did. Good luck.

the problem is not generic to the Yamaha, as I have problems with Autorun, and I have a Teac burner and a Pioneer DVD. There is an option to specify what program runs for the different media types, but they all seem to be M$ orientated (why am I not surprised) and don't seem to work as normal autoplays .

It's a problem I am currently working to resolve.