Thread: trouble running SETI on win2kpro

trouble running SETI on win2kpro

I've never used SETI on win2kpro before and have been having lots of problems. Keep losing the work unit file - win2k reports an error with seti - this disrupts the screensaver - and when the scr comes back on-line, seti launches a second seti applet and asks to connect to go get another work unit because it cannot find one - has anyone else seen this behavior? I looked on the seti home page and didn't see any documentation on win2k problems....
    running win2kpro sp2 on a giga-byte motherboard on a 20gb quantum drive with 512mb RDRam - plenty of room and resources - nothing else running except the OS - all brand new parts..... can't figure this one out - rebuilt the system from the group up - all latest drivers for everything of the internet even went through add/remove to place SETI on the system after defraging - as clean as I could make it - no joy -

Hi Axel,

Have you filled out a Bug Report HERE ?

Which version of SETI did you get?

What other programs do you have running in background?

Are you running a firewall?

Are you having any other problems with connecting to the internet?

I see you mentioned the screensaver, is that how you run it or in the background?

I don't have Win2k so I'm not sure what else to ask.

Why not put your PC's idle time to good use by downloading the seti@home client HERE and then joining the Sysopt.com Users 2002 Team HERE

Just in case you missed this one:

Whenever SETI@home tries to connect to the server, it immediately gets an error. (Windows)
    First, select "Proxy Settings" from the menu and check that they are correct.

If that is not the problem, then try this: Set "Ask me before connecting" in the SETI@home Preferences. Manually tell your computer to dial the Internet. Then select "Connect Now" from the SETI@home menu while your computer is connected to the Internet. (To dial manually, select Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Dial-Up Networking, and double-click the desired connection.) If this solves your problem, your computer's "Internet Options" control panel may be incorrectly configured. Instructions for setting this up are given under How do I set up my computer to connect automatically?.

If your PC does not have a relatively recent version of Internet Explorer, you may not have the software needed for SETI@home to dial your modem. IE versions 4 and later install the needed software; we have not tested with older versions of IE. The needed file is c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\wininet.dll.

Quoted from SETI help.

Why not put your PC's idle time to good use by downloading the seti@home client HERE and then joining the Sysopt.com Users 2002 Team HERE

More info

Sorry, I may have been going in the wrong direction above^

Here's something I got from the help file:

Q: SETI@home was part way through processing a work unit,
    but then progress reset to zero and it started again from
    the beginning. What happened?
    A: There are several possibilities. If you have SETI@home
    set to connect automatically to the Internet, it may have
    returned the result and gotten a new work unit. (If a
    work unit has too much radio interference or RFI, then
    SETI@home may request a new work unit much sooner than
    usual.)

If SETI@home's processing was interrupted abnormally by
    a system error or power interruption, its output files
    may have been corrupted. In this case, SETI@home will
    restart the work unit from zero automatically.

And yet another!

The SETI@home client may be being interrupted by another screen saver or screen saver-like program. As SETI@home is designed to be as noninvasive as possible by only using your computer while it is idle, if the client detects another program that wants to run, SETI@home will quit and step out of the way. If this other program is another screen saver or some other application that waits until your computer is idle before running, both SETI@home and the other program will try to run when the computer is idle causing SETI@home to quit. One common application which shows this behavior is McAfee VirusScan. If you have VirusScan installed, make sure that you have turned off the ScreenScan portion of the application as this will interfere with SETI@home.

From FAQ's

you could just make sure that the seti@home screensaver is disabled. i found out recently that it goes a lot faster without the seti screensaver running. almost twice as fast.

***viBe***
    ***viBe***
    "Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

first of all - allow me to qualify my SETI experience - I've completed some 1780 work units - so this program and it's settings are nothing new to me - just running on win2kpro is.....

at home I never set anything to auto-connect - the last work unit on the box in question I watched crapped out at about 71% - it definitely wasn't complete when the work*.sah file "went away".....

There is no firewall or proxy to contend with here - this is straight dial-up when I do connect to dump the work unit.... and that isn't the case here.....

IE is version 5 and active x is v 8.1 - relatively recent stuff - I seriously doubt those are the issues....

The seti settings are to run all the time - and the screen saver is set to SETI as well - that might have some merit as to why the two processes are launched..... I might take the screen saver piece off and see what happens...... It might simply be that the two processes - i.e. the background thread and the scr thread - cause the system grief and since the work*.sah unit is in play in the back-ground - when the scr launches and spawns a new thread - it totally wrecks the original background process and then pukes up the workunit as two different threads try to access the same file....... hmmmmmm - interesting - that might just be it....

Rampage - take a look here -

http://iosef.ssl.berkeley.edu/cgi-bi...user_stats_new

cool. don't suppose you fancy joining the team do you? just s thought.

***viBe***
    ***viBe***
    "Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Axel

Please accept my humblest apologies for trying to offer my meager knowledge of SETI. I lay prostrate before you in shame and disgrace. Forgive me ,Oh masterful one!

Guess I got carried away there. Just trying to help. :o

I'll make sure to ask what ones level of expertise is before jumping to conclusions next time.

Hope you get the problem straightened out and give us a post how you did it. OK?

And maybe you could drop by from time to time and help US out as we are pretty green at this. (Speaking for myself, of course!)

Why not put your PC's idle time to good use by downloading the seti@home client HERE and then joining the Sysopt.com Users 2002 Team HERE :o

no crime - no foul - trying to help is good - and I haven't had time to test my new theory out .

I need to turn on the PC again - it's been off for 2 weeks now -

I need to turn off the screen saver SETI and just allow it to run as a back-ground process and see if that keeps the second thread from crashing -

By tossing out a lot of ideas, you tend to trigger a clue that might solve the problem - and, lets face it , we all sometimes forget some little basic step that makes all the difference.........

As for joining a team - why? I'm contributing to the whole - I'm not really keeping "score" - but choose to keep my 1800 units to myself.....