Thread: SHLWAPI.DLL .....KILLIN' ME !!!!

SHLWAPI.DLL .....KILLIN' ME !!!!

My friend has removed cd-rom and installed CDRW in their computer. We went to device manager and removed the device and then shut the system down and removed the cd-rom and installed the cdrw (acer 12x10x40). We booted up and here came this error message..... "windows error blaa blaaa system error can't find SHLWAPT.dll file. Reinstall Windows". SO I ckeck the jumpper. Set to slave...OK there. Reboot. Same thing again. SO I reset jumpper to "cable select" just to see. BLAM !! Same thing. Now I go back to reinstall Windows and get to the point where windows is checking for plug and play hardware and here come the message again... "blaa blaa SHLWAPI.dll "
    I can't even load windows now!!! How am I going to restore Windows when I can't EVEN REINSTALL it ??????

GOD I LOVE microsoft !!

Don't You????????????

Any thoughts here?????

Thanks Guys

The needed .dll could be d/l here.If u can get to DOS mode,perhaps this .dll could be installed from there?

jap03

Your problem lies in the fact that re-installation is based on settings already present in an existing operating system. The OS currently in the system may have a missing, corrupted or damaged Shlwapi.dll, a shell utility library file.

Run setup again. This time use the /d switch (setup /d). This switch tells Windows not to use your existing copy of Windows.

Do a clean re-installation. Use a boot disk. Boot up with CD-Rom Support, execute SETUP /D at the C:\ prompt and you ought to be fine.

Alternatively, if you still have access to the current OS, RUN sfc (system file checker) to extract Shlwapi.dll from your OS CD. Just follow the prompts from SFC, and you'll be back to working condition.

If you're familiar with the EXTRACT command in MS-DOS, you can extract the file from Win98_41.cab (which is where Shlwapi.dll is found). The syntax is as follows:-

Insert your OS CD, get into MS-DOS MODE COMMAND PROMPT ONLY and type the following:-

(assuming your CD-Rom drive is F

Extract /a F:\Win98\Base4.cab Shlwapi.dll /L C:\Windows (and Enter)

Michael Chiew
    Michael Chiew

Micheal,

Windows wouldn't let me in the "base4.cab" files. I tried scanreg/restore and thought I had it fixed. Got to the point where the splash screen came up and everything looked OK, then the error came back. So we just reformatted and will wait on XP second edition.

Thanks