Thread: Bios update ecs k7s5a

Bios update ecs k7s5a

I have never done a bios update before. I downloaded file s5a011119 from ecs which should correct a problem Im having with th xp 1900 after doing some reading I believe information about this procedure in the mainboards users guide may have be inaccurate. This was the only bios file dated 11/09 and later available (which is what I am looking for). On page 36 of the motherboards user guide there is a AMI flash utility instructions.
    it says to use file ami8xx.exe in dos(which i understand) were 8xx is the version number. How does this relate to the updated bios i downloaded named s5a011119 (I dont understand). Also it says this utility lets you erase the system bios stored on flash chip and copy updated bios. Is this true without doing anything to the jumpers. I am confused and need the wisdom of someone more tecnically advanced Please help

look at the file you downloaded. Try to open that file in dos while still in windows. It should tell you what you need to do. You want to extract the .exe file onto a disk and use it in a pure dos boot.

I created a dos startup disk and loaded the new bios on another disk i got the file unzipped successfully when transferring so i am assuming this is correct and wwhen i went to exe the file i got a file cannot be run in dos error Should this be really easy like it says or am i encountering fubar

You need 2 files to flash your bios. The AMIFlash Utility called aminfxxx.exe and the .rom bios file. You can use the flasher on you cd or d/l the one from ECS. You already unzipped the .rom bios file .
    Now copy the aminfxxx.exe and 011119.rom files to the Dos Boot disk.
    Boot to the Dos Boot disk , at the A: type the following

aminfxxx.exe 01119.rom

and Enter. Be sure theres a space between the files. Just follow the directions from there.

p.s. most people are having better results with the flasher from the ECS site.

Recommend going here for all your flash info. I used the 3.26 flash pgm and their overclocker bios with good results. My attempt to flash from a floppy would not work; used their recommendation and flashed from the hardrive with no problem. See the FAQ for good info...Regards,
    "Any tool can be used as a hammer"