Thread: Server Room - trying to keep it cool

Server Room - trying to keep it cool

I wasn't certain as to where this message should have been posted. Anyway- here at work, we seem to have a cooling problem with our server room. The room itself is about 20' x 18' in size. Our current system is limited by its poor design and aging building. Occasional water condensation leaks are a nuisance and not to mention a potential serious hazard to the electronic equpment that's operating there.

Rather than try and replace the current HVAC system which would involve re-constructing the ceiling in the server room (expensive, I believe), I would rather just live with it and add a portable cooling system of some sort. Any ideas on any such systems?

Space in this little server room is very limited.

Ultimate Member
    If you have a window (unlikely), you could add a window AC unit that can be set to come on at a desired temperature. Otherwise, I know of portable systems that can help cool a decent sized room for a few hundred quid, but not sure if you should rely on them for your servers.

Ultimate Member
    In our server room at work (about the same size as yours), we just added an A/C unit blowing into the room, exhausting out to the surrounding work environment, and with a plastic drain hose running through and exterior wall to the outside. I'd think a 20K btu unit would be capable of keeping your room in the low 60s°F, if ambient office temps are in the mid-70s.
    PS: the A/C is on its own power line.