Thread: Windows 98SE shutdown problem.

Windows 98SE shutdown problem.

I've just finished building a computer which has a FIC VA-503+ motherboard. Windows 98SE was installed with no problems except that it doesn't shut down as in my other system. It gets to the screen that says "windows is shutting down" but goes no further. Can't get to "It's safe to turn off your computer".
    I heard that there was a patch for this from Microsoft so I downloaded it and installed it . No success. Has anyone had this problem? Motherboard bios is lastest update JE4329s. I think that this number is correct JE43..s?

The Microsoft "shutdown fix" is for other issues. This one is apparently different.

I've seen this problem before, but it was on 440LX chipset (Biostar M6TLI)

I set up two identical systems, only diff was one had 3dfx Vodoo 3 2000 PCI and the other was same model, but AGP version.

Both acted exactly the same on shutdown. It never did get to the "Okay to shut off" prompt, but it always rebooted okay (no safe mode).

I also seem to remember that we tried a different video card, and it WOULD shut down normally.

Incidentally, I installed WinME on the one I still have a few months ago (clean install) and now everything is peachy on shutdown.

1. Try different video card and see if that makes any difference.
    2. Also, if you have it, try WinME.

Let us know what you find out. I've always wondered if it really was an issue with the video card/drivers or ???
    Last edited by bpan; 12-27-2001 at 05:17 PM.

Intimate Member
    Sound card drivers can cause this as well. Try this, go to control panel, Sounds, and remove the 'exit windows' sound so that it does not try to load a sound file while shutting down. If this does not help, go into device manager and highlight the sound system and remove. Shut down, pull the sound card, reboot, then try a normal shut down.

Well, we seem to have a common problem. I am not sure if Windows XP works the same way, but with 98 SE/ME, anytime you remove hardware/drivers, they remain installed, but hidden in the "system" control panel applet. You must restart in safe mode, and open this applet. Then, delete any erroneous/non-existent entries (I once went in and found 8 video adapters, and 12, count them, TWELVE monitors!). This is commonly referred to as "ghost" hardware, and just may be the source of your hangup.

-Snailman

snailman153624@yahoo.com

this problem is maybe cause by software, or a virus. My brother's computer was working fine but he installed some mouse program and it never shutdown again. He later reinstalled it at it worked.

Try disabling the "fast shutdown" feature in Run/msconfig/General/Advanced.

This sounds to me like it could be a software conflict... You may have a program running resident on the system that is taking forever to finish its tasks...

I had a similar problem a while back with an AMD k6-2+ 500 on an Asus p5a-b mobo although instead of just hanging forever it would automatically reboot, it was a pain to finally get right........

Anyway, see this thread
    http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthre...threadid=85046

I'd say just about every possible suggestion, and eventual answer, can be found in there.

I had this problem as well. After I installed a mouse on my computer.

Then I got the update from Microsoft shutdown problem patch, but that did not work.

So then I have to format and reinstall everything.

Alex.

VA-503+ shutdown problems

The problem is the BIOS in the VA-503+, the engineers were somewhat confused about APM and ACPI. Check the FIC FAQ's for the VA-503+, there is an updated BIOS which will fix the problem.

NOTE! If you check the FIC BIOS page, you won't find it... they didn't update the BIOS page with the new BIOS. Something like JE4333.

P.S. I've got five of the boards for kids machines and am quite happy with the boards.