Thread: CMOS will not hold bios setings

CMOS will not hold bios setings

I have a M810 motherboard wil SIS730 chipset that will not hold bios settings when system is unplugged. As long as the power cord is to system the bios is ok. I have replaced the CMOS battery but get same low battery message each time.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Change the battery again.

Took battery from working system and tried plus brand new on and still same results

Possible causes:
    • battery contacts corroded
    • battery contacts loose

Cleaned contacts and made sure they were making contact and not bent still same results

CMOS

When you replaced the battery you should expect a need for your settings to be reconfigured in the BIOS. Did you check to see if the jumper that controls the 'Clear CMOS' is set correctly? Also, check to see if the jumper does not have a corrosion or other problem. Did you flash the BIOS recenty? If you tried the latter with a weak battery you can get flash errors that will show up similar to the errors you described. You may need to reflash the BIOS with a strong battery. Anyway, why do you need to unplug your computer? I wouldn't mess with it too much if it runs fine otherwise.

I reflashed bios, check contacts, replaced battery, but still won't hold settings. I am trying to sell motherboard and don't want to pass on problem.

I also have this problem with my ECS K7S5A. This is a widely reported problem on the OC Workbench forums. My guess is that it is related to leaky electrolytic capacitors in the CMOS chip circuitry. Only a guess. I use the MB Probe monitor, and it frequently reports the CMOS batt @ 2.0Volts. Getting in alot of practice in setting up the bios settings...Regards,
    "Any tool can be used as a hammer"