Thread: WinXP not meant for internet

Banned [shawn@localhost /home]#'s Avatar

WinXP not meant for internet

well i got XP on my new system and it stinks

i checked the device drivers to examine the card itself and its drivers, it says this device is working properly

i went to internet options and configured my internet as broadband (always connected), auto configure IP, auto DNS and it tells me 'your settings are active and are working fine', it basically tells me that it is already setup good so i went to system information and it would not say any status on LAN or DNS but it sayd proxy settings are disable (i don't need or use proxy so that is good)

i turned off the built in firewall thinking that maybe it was the problem but no success, i also tried something other than IE to see if that was a problem but both Diablo2 and Half-Life cannot connect to the internet

what the heck is wrong with this OS? has MS totaly lost it this time????

-Shawn
    [i know i posted this in the internet lan page too but im just making sure i get a good straight answer here]

Banned
    I am sick and tired of people blaming Windows XP or Windows any version for everysingle last thing. Fact Windows XP connects just fine to the internet and multiplayer games. I am Running XP and can play any multiplayer game there is at a fast speed. There is something wrong with your settings somewhere. If you have cable modem and prehaps you have the @home software they give you don't install it. Just change your computer name.

i have had Windows95, 98 and 2000 i tried them all and they all work fine

whenever i exit Diablo2 the mouse stalls and when i exit Half-Life the screen goes this peach color and i cant click anything

Shawn, I sent you a PM about your language several hours ago.

If you need help in choosing different words, try here:

http://www.dictionary.com/

ngc457 is correct.

Banned
    >whenever i exit Diablo2 the mouse stalls and when i exit Half->Life the screen goes this peach color and i cant click anything

You may want to download the latest drivers or your video card. Also there is a known problem with Half Life and XP. Before you start yelling and screeming about XP, there is a fix for it. Half Life has an autoupdate tool. Use it to get the patch. See if there is a patch to Diablo2 as well.

Microsoft has no control over the programing error of the half life or diablo programers.

shawn mate. take a chill pill.

to start with you won't want to be setting up the Auto IP thing. if you have broadband then you should have a fixed IP shouldn't you?

don't know how your's works but mine is connected though an ADSL router into the box on the wall. i am effectively on a local network, with the router acting as a hub with the internet access going through that.

i have to set up a gateway, DNS & speicfy an IP before i can get on the net. then whenever i boot up my PC looks for the gateway and there it is, every time. soon as i am booted i have net access.

always on, always fast. no blockages, no net congestion (not this end anyways). out of a 512Kbps line i get a constant 456Kbps when i have heavy downloads froma reliable source.

how does yours work?

Originally posted by vibe666
    to start with you won't want to be setting up the Auto IP thing. if you have broadband then you should have a fixed IP shouldn't you?

no, static IP DSL costl ike $300 US per month man, only small bussinesses or ignorent people get static IP DSL

mine is connected though an ADSL router into the box on the wall. i am effectively on a local network, with the router acting as a hub with the internet access going through that.

my DSL comes from the same place as my phone line, the line is split and 1 line is split 3 ways for my phones and the other goes to my modem then to my hub then to my 2 computers, the Celery with Windows98SE works fine but the Athlon with WindowsXP doesn't work at all

i have to set up a gateway, DNS & speicfy an IP before i can get on the net. then whenever i boot up my PC looks for the gateway and there it is, every time. soon as i am booted i have net access.

if i did this, my internet would be down every 2 months or so until i figured out what my new IP address is (hence refering back to auto ip)

always on, always fast. no blockages, no net congestion (not this end anyways). out of a 512Kbps line i get a constant 456Kbps when i have heavy downloads froma reliable source.

mine for my Celery anyway is always on, never laggy, and maxes out at aboutt 550kps (its really being constricted by the slowness of celery)

how does yours work?

well it works fine until i try a computer with WindowsXP how about you?

I am also connected through a router to adsl. Worked well with win98 me. Works better with XP.

Fact: Thousands of people can install, configure, and run XP with no problem.

Problem: You can not.

Your conclusion: It must be Microsoft's fault.

Lesson you learn: When all else fails, swear and blame anyone (or everyone) except yourself.

P.S. -- How can you follow a link to dictionary.com, yet still spell "ignorant" wrong?
    Last edited by Psycho Logical; 12-14-2001 at 10:23 PM.

Shawn, you think your cable is restricted by your celeron? Think about the wasted $50 a month and all the hardware to get cable internet wasted on a PII 400! Thats right, you guys and your 'im only getting 535K when I should get 545K' should take a look at my situation and think about how much cable would be restricted by a PII 400. I only get 35K for dl's for cryin out loud!

if you only get 35k with your P2 400 that means your internet is screwed not your puter, P2 400 is like WAAAAAAAAY faster than Celery 500, look at benchmarks to prove it

***Edited for Language*** SRJ

Originally posted by jbell255
    Think about the wasted $50 a month
    hey hold on, you pay 50 AMERICAN DOLLARS PER MONTH!?!??!?!
    ***Edited for Language*** SRJ

i pay $26 CANADIAN, that is about $17 US per month for 1.5mb ADSL (down) with 512k upload

you pay more than 3X as much as you get WAY less, there is something wrong man