Thread: WinXP not meant for internet

Banned [shawn@localhost /home]#'s Avatar

WinXP not meant for internet

well i got XP on my new system and it sucks my d***

i checked the device drivers to examine the card itself and its drivers, it says this device is working properly

i went to internet options and configured my internet as broadband (always connected), auto configure IP, auto DNS and it tells me 'your settings are active and are working fine', it basically tells me that it is already setup good so i went to system information and it would not say any status on LAN or DNS but it sayd proxy settings are disable (i don't need or use proxy so that is good)

i turned off the built in firewall thinking that maybe it was the problem but no success, i also tried something other than IE to see if that was a problem but both Diablo2 and Half-Life cannot connect to the internet

what the heck is wrong with this stupid f***in OS? has MS totaly lost it this time????

-Shawn
    [edit]forgot my sig again[/edit]
    Last edited by [shawn@localhost /home]#; 12-14-2001 at 02:41 AM.

lol. calm down. its not the operating system. Give the people here some information so we can help you instead of whining so much. Since your connection is always on, go to a command prompt, type ipconfig /all and see if you have an IP. If you have 0.0.0.0, or 169.254.X.X, then you are never going to get to the internet because you dont have a WAN IP. Also, gateway IP and dns IP's. IE propertied and/or system settings are not going to tell you anything pertinent. Hopefully you didnt do something in those areas to hose you up worse. If you are using a NIC to access your cable or dsl modem, do you have a link light. Post that kind of information. XP is setup to roll out of the box if you have a connection to the internet setup, just as any windows variant is. Now take a pill and tell us if you have done what you have to do to make your connection work and quit *****ing about the operating system.

Banned [shawn@localhost /home]#'s Avatar
    DSL from the wall, links to AOpen 8 port hub, then 1 link to my Celeron and 1 link to my Athlon XP

i did the same process as what i did with my Celeron to get internet working but i swear winXP is f***ed

i even switched the cables from 1 puter to the other but my Celery still got internet and the Athlon didn't

the ip of my Celeron is 142.59.xx.xxx (im not giving the whole thing obviously)
    the ip of my Athlon is 142.63.xxx.xxx

i swear the weak link is WinXP, it has to be because all the hardware works fine and it says it sends and recieves signals but stupid *** windows doesn't know how to connect because it is retarded

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Why are you running a Class B network on two different subnets? It is no wonder that you can not share the Internet.

Which of the systems is set up with ICS and an assigned IP address (192.168.0.1) and which one is set up as the client with an auto assigned IP address using DHCP?

Are you using a Workgroup or Domain? Is each computer set to use the same workgroup?

Read this article and follow it word-for-word before you post again.

http://www.sysopt.com/articles/icsproxy/index.html

It took me 30 mins to get my 5 computer network set up and running ICS using Win98/WinNT/Win2K Pro/Win2K Server/WinXP. Every computer shares the Internet and every computer see and accesses each others resources.