Thread: Second Box for Linux

Second Box for Linux

I’m looking to build an additional computer just to run Linux. Just do samba and web stuff. I want to keep it under $200 with the hub, but no monitor. So is it better do buy a refurb or hunt around for parts? If anyone has some ideas for configurations I’d be interested.

Banned [shawn@localhost /home]#'s Avatar
    i sure hope you mean US dollars, otherwise it is impossible

well first go with AMD for the low cost, would Duron be fast enough or do you need Athlon C for this? 256mb ram would be enough for anything

just a little 20gb hard drive would cost like 50 bucks, hmm this is hard. do you have extra parts around the house you can use?

you dont need sound do you?

BTW what is samba exactly? i heard it's some sort of server thingy or somethin like that, am i even close?

i want to build a linux server for my home network with no monitor and just the basics, would anyof you know how to build and setup a linux server(preferably mandrake)

Thanks

I’m sorry. I do want to keep the price low, but the hardware doesn’t have to be new. I really want stability over speed. I’ve been looking through some sites with refurbished systems, but I don’t know how credible they are. Now I’m wandering if it would be worth an extra couple hundred for a new custom build.

Sanba is a tool for Linux that allows you share file to Windows computers. If you set it up right, it will do a lot of the things an NT Domain would do. And for $0.

Linkin' Park, I am using Mandrake now with a duel boot. It’s really easy to set up, they have a lot of visual aids and there is always the command line option like with any distribution. I think were trying to do about the same thing here.

yeah but ive never built a network server, and ive never used linux mandrake but heard alot of good things about it!

Do you know where i can get mandrake from for cheap coz i havent got a fast connection?

You *probably* won't find Mandrake for less than $50 if you purchase it. I'd recommend having a friend download it off a fast connection unless you want the book and support.
    I'm sure you could find a used Pentium 166+ for less than $200. (I just sold one for $50). If you can find one with DIMM slots, you can get 128MB RAM for $40. I'd also recommend at least an ultra/33 motherboard/hard drive. This will be plenty, but I'd hate to go with less.
    If you are going to be using it as a file server, don't forget about storage space! Of course, with Linux, you really don't need a gui or a monitor. This makes it very nice. I'd recommend running sshd and webmin for remote administration.

Here is what have have put together....

Case InWin IW-V500AU 55
    Motheroboard MSI PLE 133 67
    CPU Celeron 900 59
    HSF Retail 0
    RAM 128 MB PC133 22
    Hard Drive 40 GB Seagate ATA IV
    CD-ROM None
    Floppy None
    Video Built-In
    Sound Bulit-In
    Network Linksys 5 port 10/100 + NIC 50

Monitor None

Keyboard None
    Mouse None

OS Mandrake Linux 8.1

Total 253

Do you see and thing that just won't work or could be improved?
    Last edited by alphageek; 12-13-2001 at 03:28 PM.

You did that for less than $200? You have got to be kidding me. Anyways, if you are interested in having a nic, video, sound, and/or modem, you might want to check the model number to see that they are supported.

sorry, i didn't mention I already had the hard drive. and I did go quite a bit over ($250 instead of 200), but I did go from looking for old stuff to new parts.

That's almost overkill for Samba and web stuff..but overkill can be a good thing

for basics..an old pentium with a fast HD and a good nic is all you need..my router runs Linux..and it is a 486DX100 and throughput is excellent..it routes 7 computers to a cable connection..zero lag..my ftp ran a 333 Cel and it was more than adequate..but overkill got the best of me..Linux becomes fun with an overclocked Athlon 1.4 and tons of ram..