Thread: What a difference a new case makes

What a difference a new case makes

I've been running my Athlon T-bird 800 MHz @ 950 OC'ed for about a year and a half now in a lousy InWin A500 midtower (the generic-looking mid with the vertical PSU right over the CPU). It would idle around 46 C and load at around 55 C (HOT!). I bought a InWin S500 (same looking tower, just with a horizontal mounted PSU and additional fan mount) and my CPU runs at a nice cool 39 idle 42 load now. I couldn't believe how much better temps I'm getting with this case! I could only get this low by mounting a 120MM AC fan above my CPU and letting it run all the time.

I think that is the same case I had returned. The power supply sat right on top of the h/s fan. The h/s fan was pulling heat from the p/s. Not a good design.

Thats a big difference.

I love amds except for that "Thermal Death" thing they have going on. My Celeron 700 is o/c @ 1.1 and i idle at 27c and full load about 32c.

-Lord Sech

It is well known that the Intel cpu's operate at a much lower temp than AMD Athlon cpu's..The XP cpu's are a bit lower in temps than the T-Birds..But for the performance you get from these AMD cpu's causes more heat..The more rendering the cpu is involved in the hotter it runs..The T-Birds also use a lot more watts and volts than the Intel cpu's. This is for the same reason as stated above..

This is why the 1.6ghz XP's outperform the Intel P4x2.ghz..

It will be late next spring or next summer before AMD produces a true 2.ghz cpu, Intel does not have anything to compete with this cpu at all..I expect the XP2000-XP2400 cpu''s to be available Spring of 2002..These chips will encorporate some features the current XP cpu's do not have..

But overall, and you can read the benchmarks of the latest Intel and AMD cpu's on this forum..Real life stuff, not fantasy

Banned [shawn@localhost /home]#'s Avatar
    my celeron was running for OVER a year without a fan because the fan broke and the thing never fried, i seriously dont think an AMD could pull that one off lol

Shawn and Bobo seemed to make the point i couldnt. That we all know Amd's are a better bang for the buck, there are certain precautions to be made in order to attempt a ood overclock. Even normal usage for that matter.

If Shawns computer was an AMD, it would have been done in 3 or 4 minutes MAX.

-Lord Sech

Banned [shawn@localhost /home]#'s Avatar
    no you are missing something here, it didnt not fry becasue Intel put precautions on it, it didn't fry because it's not fast enough to fry

500 Celeron processes the same as a 233mhz P2, i swear man its a fact!

P2 366 benchmarked roughly the same as P3 500
    P3 500 benchmarked roughly the same as 700 Celeron
    from this i can say that a P2 366 is similar speed to Celeron 700 correct?
    then i could probably also say that P2 233 is about the speed of a 500 Celeron right?

my friend's P2 366 from Packard Bell doesn't actually have a fan on the processor, its just a huge heat sync and its still running great after like 4 years

Shawn

The main risk of overclocking is adding the extra voltage to the cpu. The celeron 700 comes at 1.70. I have mine running at 1.85/1.9. Aslthought this isnt a huge increase it is still sufficent enough to cause heat realted problems..

-Lord Sech