Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: what type of ram suits my pc

what type of ram suits my pc

In my old PC P 166MHZ I have 2 edo ram pcs. of 16mb (each 8mb) installed. Ihave alo installed win98se.

I wanted to install sound card of als100. Pls. suggest whether 16mb is enough for all these. Can I play movie files in this memory.

Or, please suggest type of ram I should use. I tried 64MB sdram (1 piece) but it was a failure. In my PC there are 2 banks for SDram and 4 for edo.

unlike the present mobo bank clips, the holder clip of these two banks are very small and do not firmly hold the ram piece.

Due to old pc, Some one suggest me that I should use 2 ram pcs. at a time in both bank (32-32 ) otherwise ram will not work.

Is it true?

Pls help
    nyer

Report this

I think you do need some more RAM. You need to identify your motherboard or the system model if a major brand. Crucial has a great memory finder that will identify what you need. www.crucial.com.

Usually 72-pin SIMMs are used in pairs but 168-pin DIMMs single.

Hope this helps.

That's true with EDO. Not with SDRAM. But I don't know about old mobo's.

Banned [shawn@localhost /home]#'s Avatar
    i've seen EDO ram at the local parts place and its more expensive than Rambus RAM!!!WTF?!!?!? it's like 7 years old!!

here is the parts place price:
    EDO 4 X 32 72 PIN 16MB 60NS (8 CHIPS) $38.00
    EDO 8 X 32 72 PIN 32MB 60NS (16 CHIPS) $60.00
    EDO 16 X 32 72 PIN 64MB 60NS (8 CHIPS) $185.00

and here from the same store is Rambus:
    RIMMS 184PIN NON-ECC 64MB (W/O ERROR CHECKING) RAMBUS 800MHZ $40.00
    RIMMS 184PIN NON-ECC 128MB (W/O ERROR CHECKING) RAMBUS 800MHZ $77.00
    RIMMS 184PIN NON-ECC 256MB (W/O ERROR CHECKING) RAMBUS 800MHZ $160.00

ok now wtf?

Did you study economics? Here you have:
    The balance between demands and propositions sets up a market price. If the balance is changed then the marker price is changed too. (The graph is similar to "X" letter: the market price is where the demands and propositions graphs are crossed).
    By such theory, when there is low proposition (no any manufacturing in our variant), and high demand (exists anyway), the price gets higher.
    I don't want to write all the book, but from now you should understand why, not being manufacturing, EDO's are more expensive than RDRAM (the opposite side of a medal).

EDO 4 X 32 72 PIN 16MB 60NS (8 CHIPS) $38.00
    I have a thread right now for a pair of SIMMs for $10 and have had no interest. Depends on where you buy I suppose.

For 72p simms you should use them in pairs because they are 32bit and the memory bus is 64bit. Also don't mix simms and dimms, even if your mobo supports it, because of their different voltages (5v for simm, 3.3v for dimm) you will destroy the dimm.
    Hope this helps,

Arthur

dude EDO ram is not in high demand, its for computers buit before the P2, EDO ram is slow and computers that old just burn out anyway (mine did and i didnt even overclock it!)

No, people demand EDOs. If you have a contemporary PC, it doesn't mean that all the people have such. There's another market of such PC's as P166, K5 and others. And they really need SIMMs. Believe me.

my P1 120 had 64mb EDO ram to boot and it NEVER used all of it, you are supposed to buy stuff BEFORE they stop making it. failure to do so often makes you screw yourself in the *** later on

Thanks a lot

Dear Members,

I thank all of you for responding to my post EDO RAM. I have got lot of suggestion, instructions, advices. Frankly say, I am totally confused now than before.

I therefore decided to leave my pc as it is and made wise decision to obtain a new P4 so that lot of advantages are there.

I once again seize this opportunity for your valued response and hope all supports in future if necessary.

Thanks again and wishing all of you a Merry Xmas in advance.

Nyer

Merry Christmas too.

But....a P4? Are you sure?? Maybe you should consider a much cheaper and faster AMD? I mean, Pentium4...........

Arthur

P3 was good but P4.... nope

Fully agree with shawn. PIII Tualatin or AthlonXP.

Yes Dear I prefer P4

I prefer P4 for reasons that I do some private work at home and
    changing a pc every now and then is not wise I think. So I think P4 will run long in the coming years.

Over and above, I wanted to use my PC as my Television also. So a fast system is recommended. Isn't It?

I yet not placed any order. I am inviting suggestions from my friends, and valued members, and engineers like you people

Thanks a lot for responding.

Sincerely,

Nyer