Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: k7s5a ECS Motherboard

on the VIA chipset board i bring up the thermal monitor applet in winblows and it says about 10-20C with then FSB at 112MHzwhile playing light games. maybe it would be the same as your spring, depending on which altitude you're at.

i'm using the onboard audio again and it only works if i use headphones plugged directly into the speaker output with all volumes maxed out.

Hey, is anyone having trouble w/ their microphone working. Also, I had trouble with the sound on some games. (sounds REALLY distorted) I will download latest drivers tonight but was just curious. Any other suggestions?

mine is a shorting problem i couldn't be bothered fixing, so i just use a 6channel sound card that cost me $30

Still humming

My K7s5a has been worth all the trouble that I had at the beginning.
    This board hasn't coughed or sputtered since then.
    My what a good deal it has proven to be!
    Well done ECS!

Robert Meldrim

Gone
    Originally posted by jaytv
    In my experience with this board (believe me, I don't recommend it), when clients buy it as a part of a cheap Athlon/DDR Mobo combo, (usually at Fry's), it is very sensitive to seating of the cpu and doesn't work well with non-xp and non-mp athlon processors.

The Socket 462 ZIF on this mobo is rather cheap, and seems to allow the Athlon to not fully seat unless the athlon is pushed down as the locking lever is seated.

Try looking carefully at the way the CPU is seated.

Just my .02

computerconsultant@email.com
    No! I tested it with memtest86 on a duron 1 gig morgan core and a tbird 900mhz and now its running a xp1600+ all passed the tests after looping for 8hours+ nonstop at full load. I think you guys blaiming the board are whacked.

My friend's little S5A that I set up for him a couple years ago is still plugging right along! I agree with P4 you guys are whacked.
    -"Don't touch that!!!!!" -ZAPPPPP!- Hehe yet another excuse to upgrade-

The evil twin

I have the PC chips 830LR. It is the evil twin brother of the ecs k7s5a. It also has the same problems. My problem is that if I enable the SIS AGP drivers, then i get the black screen of death when I boot up. I even bought XP on the advice of many and it made no difference at all. It seems to be a choice of running in 640x480 or not running at all. I have started the process of sending it back. 3 weeks is to long to spend trouble shooting a motherboard. And no I have all the compability issues that everyone has with XP to look forward to.

System: XP2000, 256MB sdram, 400W ps, Gforce 4 Ti 4200, nice heatsink and no temp probs.

M830LR

Does anyone know if a 512 stick of ddr2100 will work in this board ?

Ultimate Member
    If that stick is OK, well of course, yes it will. Remember you need to clear CMOS (by jumper) when you change your RAM type from SDR to DDR.

Also it may default to 100mhz bus, so don't forget to change it back to 133 if it's telling your processor is running at 2/3 of it's normal speed.

Gone
    Originally posted by Peter Missel
    If that stick is OK, well of course, yes it will. Remember you need to clear CMOS (by jumper) when you change your RAM type from SDR to DDR.
    Really? I didnt do that! Wnet from pc133 generic to pc2100 samsung ddr. Think I should? Memtest86 still passed and I have had no issues.

for the few of us running durons, i'd still suggest keeping away from the pcchips boards. the k7s5a i built last year still does everything i need it to, and now it does tv and dvd work

If it isn't broke then don't fix it P4 :-D

resolution to sound problem

Hello, I wanted to post a reply for a previous problem I posted a while back. I found out that this board doesn't like PCI video if you are going to do any kind of intense video or graphics. AGP is a necessity for any applications of that nature. It fixed all my problems I was having. (static, distortion) Hopes this helps someone. Slosh

Ultimate Member
    Originally posted by corrupted
    for the few of us running durons, i'd still suggest keeping away from the pcchips boards. the k7s5a i built last year still does everything i need it to, and now it does tv and dvd work
    Yeah right. "stay away from PC-Chips" and "ECS is fine" in the same sentence. Get the point ... it's the same company, many of the products are identical. Particularly, M830 and K7S5A are completely identical except for the paint job.