Thread: Motherboard Boot Up Problem

Motherboard Boot Up Problem

I've also posted this in the motherboard section...I'm not sure where it belongs exactly.

Ok, so I've been building my own comp and I've run into a weird little problem...

So far, all that's together right now is the motherboard, the memory, the processor, video card and hard drive. I've also got the standard connectors in, and all the regular things.

When I turn the computer, the fans go on, the LEDs go on, and the HD begins to be read. The monitor doesn't turn on though. I'm pretty sure this isn't a problem with the video card, because I've tried two different video cards, both of which worked in the past. I haven't really done anything to them, so I'm sure neither of them has fried. I've also tried two different motherboards.

The first time I tried it, I got repeated long beeps from the PC speaker, and no picture. I switched the power settings, and the beeping stopped, but still no picture, but the fans and LEDs go on. I'm pretty sure it's not the videocard because the keyboard doesn't seem to respond either (no lights go on...except, oddly enough, when I first plug it into the port) I'm wondering if it's the motherboard, though it seems to be working.

I've tried lots of different things, like disconnecting the HD, removing all the memory cards except one in case of any conflicts. I'm not sure anything could have gotten damaged because when I first started to work on it yesterday, I had already had the pieces in place from a few months ago when I began work on it. Back then, it was in total working order and I could get into the BIOS. I'm not sure that in the 4 month period of not touching it it could've gotten damaged.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd totally appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Otiose
    Last edited by Otiose; 08-25-2003 at 03:25 AM.

If you had no picture how did you change the power settings?

Remove the board from the case, place it on a soft, non-conductive surface near the case and plug in the ATX power. Place the vid card in and connect the monitor. Connect the power. Nothing else needs to be connected. Press down hard on the vid card and use your screwdriver to short the POWER BUTTON pins. See if it POSTs.

I would totally appreciate if you would tell us what brand and model of motherboard this is and which type of CPU you're using.

Possibilities:

1. You started the PC without properly installing the heatsink. Result - fried CPU. It takes 5 seconds - literally.

2. The CPU fan is not plugged in or plugged into the wrong header.

3. The RAM is no good.

4. The motherboard is damaged - forcing installation may have scratched or cracked a "trace" in on the PCB.

5. A rogue standoff is contacting a tracing on the underside of the board.
    Last edited by BipolarBill; 08-25-2003 at 10:36 AM.
    MS MCP, MCSE