Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: k7s5a ECS Motherboard

was there a big difference each time the chipsets were changed? both of mine are the same hardware, with a diffeent layout. perhaps the ecs team managed to make it more stable?

Ultimate Member
    The thing has been designed by ONE team, distributed under BOTH brand names, and revised and serviced TOGETHER. So your question "maybe the other team made it more stable" is completely moot. Get the point. Please. One pool of products, two brand names.

As for layout changes, I'm not aware of any. The chipset revisions are pinout compatible. There might have been a visible change from v1.x to v3.x, like in the position or type of the BIOS ROM chip, but certainly nothing relevant.

regards, Peter

the pcchips revision i had was 1.0, the ecs is 1.1 or 1.2. if, as you say, there was no difference, why did the ecs board have the tom's hardware sticker on the box, and the "identical" pcchips board not?

Physically identical with different marketing you DOLT.
    -"Don't touch that!!!!!" -ZAPPPPP!- Hehe yet another excuse to upgrade-

surely they would BOTH have been TESTED?

Gone
    Originally posted by corrupted
    surely they would BOTH have been TESTED?
    The mans got a point hear him out once. I mean Toms did test all the mobo's at the time. Sooo if he was testing budget mobo's for the best one. And def. was gonna test pcchips as its even a little cheaper. Why was one aproved of and the other not even mentioned. Hmmm.

ECS is retail, PC Chips is more geared for OEM. Ever see a PC CHIPS on Newegg or something? Not on the HIGH QUALITY retailers eh? If it isn't gonna be marketed to people other than dell and stuff why send it to Tom's?

companies like dell don't use **** like pcchips. i built mine in-store (the owner is a friend of mine), and he said no pcchips he had used till then were any good in amd form.

Ultimate Member
    Originally posted by corrupted
    companies like dell don't use **** like pcchips. i built mine in-store (the owner is a friend of mine), and he said no pcchips he had used till then were any good in amd form.
    The big companies DO use mass produced mainboards from the big actual board makers ... with the PC-Chips group being the biggest of them all. There's a reason why ASUS panicked and spun off ASRock to cover this HUGE market.

The reason why PCChips boards don't carry funny stickers on their boxes is because they shouldn't appear in retail boxes at all ... and if they did, some inbetween reseller chose to package them. For the same reason, you normally don't find them in AMD's "recommended boards" list while you do find the physically identical ECS boards.

it doen't seem very logical that theoretically identical boards would be different. at least, not as different as they were. perhaps it was just my hardware configuration, but that doesn't explain why the chipset heatsink fell off on 2 different pcchips boards. one has never fallen off an ecs board,

Ultimate Member
    HelloOoOo ... how often do I have to point out that your second board very probably (and obviously, as you claimed the newer chipset) a newer REVISION of the same thing? Put a rev. 3 ECS K7VZA alongside a rev. 3 PC-Chips M807, and they'll be as identical as ever.

Heatsinks fallen off has never, ever, happened to me. And that's a LOT of boards.

A)Your contradicting yourself because you say that ECS is qaulity stuff and with ECS and PCCHIPS being identical boards how are you going to call PCCHIPS **** without calling the ECS ****?
    B)Hell yes Dell, Gateway, and Compaq use cheap parts like PCCHIPS motherboards. Why do you think Alienware computers cost so much more? Because they buy Abit, Asus, and other HIGH quality components because they want to build HIGH quality PC's. On the other hand Dell, Gateway, and Compaq just go the chepest route so they can maximize their profits.

I find it humorous that you are going to argue brand quality with a bunch of "Do It Yoursefers" while you went to GATEWAY to buy a PC.

Ultimate Member
    Now we please get the last bend ... cheap does not equal low quality. ECS/PC-Chips mainly achieve their low prices by HUGE volume, no-nonsense designs without all the overclocking and enthusiast's toys that 99.9 percent of users won't ever need or even consider, and board designs that are easy and simple to manufacture.

Ultimate Member
    Now we please get the last bend ... cheap does not equal low quality. ECS/PC-Chips mainly achieve their low prices by HUGE volume, no-nonsense designs without all the overclocking and enthusiast's toys that 99.9 percent of users won't ever need or even consider, and board designs that are easy and simple to manufacture.

As a

I never said cheap meant low quality. But ECS and PCCHIPS sure as hell aren't in Asus's, Abit's, Epox's, MSI's, etc.'s, league. 'Nuff Said.
    Last edited by morpheus kain; 01-07-2003 at 08:51 PM.