Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: k7s5a ECS Motherboard

They aren't the SAME company, but they're really close. I would go with ECS far before I would go with PC Chips, but Peter is definitely right, that's a contradictory statement.
    -"Don't touch that!!!!!" -ZAPPPPP!- Hehe yet another excuse to upgrade-

same parent company morph, not same company exactly. different people do the actual work. that's why ecs does better. better people on "their" payroll

That's basically what I said dude.

sorry morph. maybe others didn't get it tho?

Ultimate Member
    Originally posted by corrupted
    same parent company morph, not same company exactly. different people do the actual work. that's why ecs does better. better people on "their" payroll

Yet still, when you buy an ECS K7S5A or a PC-Chips M830, you get the same board designed by the same engineers, made on the same production line, with the same components on, the same BIOS written by the same software team. Now where exactly do the better people come in? Boxing?

It IS one company. The two names are about where the stuff goes:
    PC-Chips = OEM brand, anonymized product.
    ECS = retail brand.

Not all products appear on either end, depending mostly on which marked they make sense and where they don't.

regards,
    Peter

i work for an electrical manufacturer in australia. the people who own the company also have another factory just down the street. each factory has their own engineers, testers, etc. they each make for a different market too.

why, peter, wouldn't pcchips and ecs work this way? the business principals are the same for each industry.

i once owned a pcchips board, and it had too many problems. when the board was swapped for an ecs k7vza all those problems vanished. no-one else reported problems when i spoke to them, but they weren't running duron processors either. all of them were running athlon 650+. can anyone explain this? bios updates never seemed to solve the problems either.

Ultimate Member
    corrupted, it MIGHT be as you said but isn't. I have contact inside Elitegroup, who essentially confirm what I said. Yes they do have various engineering teams and factories. Given the company size, that's hardly surprising. Yet still, those board models that appear under both brands technically are completely identical.

Paint job varies, and PC-Chips boards carry no brand or model markers, so OEM customers can sell them under their shop brand.

E.g. buy an M810D, you'll get the same thing as a K7SOM+. M830 is K7S5A, M817 is K7AMA, M807 is K7VZA, M805 is K7VZM, M800 was K7ASA, the list is endless. Just go compare the product pictures on the respective web sites. Even the BIOSes are the same (again, except for the name string).

ECS used to be a separate company. They got assimilated into the PC-Chips group around 1998, and the two have been melting into one ever since.

ECS mobo's

[SIZE=1][FONT=times new roman][COLOR=orangered]I must be one of the lucky one's as the ECS K7S5A mobo's that I have installed into three systems are all running "OK".
    The one I am using is running on -----
    Athlon XP 2100+ cpu.
    MSI G-force TI 4200 graphics card with 128ddr ram.
    512 ddr ram Kingston memory.
    The cpu temprature is 55+C.

Kewl Peter. I'm just gonna buy PC CHIPS stuff since it's cheaper than ECS and identical. Hehe more money for ME!

Ultimate Member
    Sometimes you even get a free bundled AMR or CNR modem riser card when you buy PC-Chips

The more the merrier eh Peter?

if the M807 is "identical" to the k7vza, why did it not work from the box?

Ultimate Member
    Originally posted by corrupted
    if the M807 is "identical" to the k7vza, why did it not work from the box?
    Well, broken units do happen. The boards are identical, and using the same BIOS. Can't possibly have been a design problem if it went away with the next one.

the layout of the k7vza was different, and it used a different VIA chipset. i still have the M807 book here if ya want me to scan it in or something, but i'm going on holidays after tomorrow.

Ultimate Member
    http://www.pcchips.com.tw/M807.html
    http://www.ecsusa.com/products/k7vza.html

Now explain exactly where those two differ (other than that the M807 in the photo has the 3rd DIMM slot de-populated).

Well yes, the product went through a chipset change twice - first the 686A south bridge was replaced with 686B for UDMA100 support, then KT133 was replaced with KT133A to support 133 MHz CPU bus. No news here either.

regards,
    Peter